Sign in to follow this  
Vlooi

NVidia 340 Series Drivers

Hi Everyone,

I'm getting more concerned by the day of where NVidia is going with their driver development in relation to P3D v2.

I have tested nearly every driver (both official and beta) the past few months, and their new 340 series drivers totally corrupt mesh and ground textures within the sim. The 340 series drivers I tested are 340.43, 340.46, 340.51, 340.52. The whole series renders funny triangular shaped distortions across the land. This tells me the new driver series is rendering something differently AS A STANDARD, meaning this is the way future releases may also render. And this is my concern. Where will it leave us in terms of future driver updates?

We read LM is working with NVidia, but this has been going on for months, and the problems with the latest series drivers are compounded in my opinion, leaving me to believe NVidia is moving FURTHER AWAY from our needs, instead of solving it. Quite a few issues needs to be addressed (SLI, vsync, AA profiles... ), and I haven't really see at least an effort on NVidia's part, even if that effort would've been half baked (beta drivers are beta drivers, we understand). I get the impression that our comments to NVidia may be ignored to some extend, and they are hotly discussing the optimization for the latest and greatest shooter.

On the other hand, people running Radeons are generally more than satisfied? I get the impression that their AA is topnotch, and stuttering is not really an issue, their drivers are simply more compatible with P3D v2? Is this a correct deduction? Again I must state I read forum upon forum, and that this is simply the impression I get. I do know though that AMD stated they are not working on a Crossfire profile for P3D, still don't understand why though?

Lastly, I'm running the 337.90 drivers at present, and if you want to update to the latest driver, give them a go.

What are your thoughts and opinions on this if I may?

You mean checkers?

Uninstall completely and re-install non-beta drivers. That fixed it for me.

By completely, I mean every nVidia product you can un-install, including 3d vision.

Note: I'm on 337.88

I have the same problems on my rig. The last driver working without problems for me ist 332.21. A lot of month passed by since this one and i tested every other driver (beta and whql) inbetween to no avail.

Staying with those old driver is only an option till the day one needs some of those newer fixes... (in my case this day has come).

Too much time has gone by. My guess is, nvidia is not doing anything at all. They are still not interested in "wasting" time and money for p3d or LM.

And i don't believe LM is trying hard.

hoping i'm wrong...

Well 340.52 are Quadro drivers.. There is still a chance the Geforce release won't be the same version/branch as the WHQL Quadro drivers. There is probably a good reason why they didn't mirror a Geforce release. That was 3 days ago, there is a decent chance the next Geforce WHQL won't be 340.52.   If the new Geforce WHQL are still bugged it needs to be brought up to LM again.. I know the issue was seen by a Nvidia rep on Guru and a report filed.  I know it was also posted on the Prepar3D forum and LM are aware of it too but it was sort of ignored because 340.43 were beta. 

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

The whole series renders funny triangular shaped distortions across the land.

I have tested nearly every driver (both official and beta) the past few months, and their new 340 series drivers totally corrupt mesh and ground textures within the sim.

I have not seen this. Do you have pictures? I have seen no other complaints about these "distortions". I use photoscenery exclusively in P3D and my graphics are crisp and clear. I have a feeling it is your 32 inch TV monitor that is causing the problem(s).

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

I have not seen this. Do you have pictures? I have seen no other complaints about these "distortions". I use photoscenery exclusively in P3D and my graphics are crisp and clear. I have a feeling it is your 32 inch TV monitor that is causing the problem(s).

Best regards,

One of the major problems is, that the terrain is shown in "triangulars". Only way to avoid this is to check off tesselation which is an acceptable workaround for me for now.

That problem has been reported by some others before including pictures (too lazy to search the threads, sorry...).

There are some other, not so obvious problems reported (LM-forumg e.g.).

I myself can confirm performance lost and stuttering in company with spikes.

332.21 drivers don't have all of this (reproducible by "switching" the drivers).... on my rig....

These blue triangles are a tessellation problem.

Spirit

I myself can confirm performance lost and stuttering in company with spikes.

Spikes are a known problem and caused by high settings and the application does not have sufficient resources to render the objects. It is not a graphics card issue unless you have your high settings in your display driver.

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Best regards,

Perhaps you Photoscenery is masking the tessellation problem caused by the drivers.

340.43. This isn't a settings thing, etc. It's the drivers breaking tessellation. Soon as you revert to 337.88 the problem goes away. It's a known issue.

Edit: Can confirm.. Same stupid problem still exists in 340.52...  Back to 337.88 I go.

R8rjZZv.jpg

ASUS ROG STRIX Z390-E GAMING / i9-9900k @ 4.7 all cores w/ NOCTUA NH-D15S / 2080ti / 32GB G.Skill 3200 RIPJAWS / 1TB Evo SSD / 500GB Evo SSD /  2x 3TB HDD / CORSAIR CRYSTAL 570X / IPSG 850W 80+ PLATINUM / Dual 4k Monitors 

Could it be different from GPU to GPU?

I have the 780 and dont see an issue like this at all? Or even performance. I actually get smoother frames....weird.

Wholly cow, look at all those lovely triangles!  I read a few post about this issue so with my newly installed GTX 780 6GB I went with the 337's.   Everything is real good but for some reason cannot get the clarity of my .15cm photoreal.  It's not a distance blurry thing... it's right all around me.

Hey Jim, since you are a photoreal advocate like myself what drivers are you using?  The 340's?  I may try my old and trusted 306's that never seemed to let me down.  (suggestion - maybe include in the AVSIM PC info setup a line to include your driver version?)

Question - has anybody performed their driver updates with their PC not overclocked?  That is, I have read elsewhere that OS updates, drivers and programs should not be installed when you PC is OC as that may cause minor or major errors in the install.  Never really thought about it before.  I may just set my BIOS back to normal and install the 340's to see what happens.  Thoughts?

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Could it be different from GPU to GPU?

I have the 780 and dont see an issue like this at all? Or even performance. I actually get smoother frames....weird.

And what driver are you using Bill ?

Rich Sennett

The OP and some others are not indicating that these are Beta drivers that are causing problems. The latest WHQL are the 337.88 drivers. Anything above that is beta. If and when they issue the next WHQL driver and you see the problem(s), then I will understand your complaints. I wish the OP would have indicated his problems were with the beta drivers. He made it indicate he was having this issue with both beta and official drivers. You really have no reason to complain when you are using beta drivers. Hopefully this will clarify that this is really not a problem (yet) as I loaded the default textures and see absolutely no problems with the latest WHQL drivers. Beta testing will iron out the problems everyone is seeing with the beta drivers.

NVidia rocks!

Best regards,

Submit News to AVSIM

The OP and some others are not indicating that these are Beta drivers that are causing problems. The latest WHQL are the 337.88 drivers. Anything above that is beta. If and when they issue the next WHQL driver and you see the problem(s), then I will understand your complaints. I wish the OP would have indicated his problems were with the beta drivers. He made it indicate he was having this issue with both beta and official drivers. You really have no reason to complain when you are using beta drivers. Hopefully this will clarify that this is really not a problem (yet) as I loaded the default textures and see absolutely no problems with the latest WHQL drivers. Beta testing will iron out the problems everyone is seeing with the beta drivers.

NVidia rocks!

Best regards,

240.52 are WHQL and out for Quadro right now. Quadro drivers are the same drivers Geforce uses without SLI profiles..   The Geforce version are going through their WHQL Certification as we speak. Like I said, we can only hope the Geforce version are a higher version than 240.52..

And what driver are you using Bill ?

The latest Beta driver. I have mine set to notify and I always download as I use other games than P3Dv2.

340.43 I think it is?