Sign in to follow this  
LarryImler

Thinking of getting Xplane but i got questions

Getting leisure time is not easy!

Personally speaking I divide my simming time between X-Plane, Prepar3D, Train Simulator 2014, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and whatever games I happen to be currently playing on my PS4.

So I am also one of the ones who is willing to pay/download/donate to get XP looking right, as I just wanna fire it up and fly! :)

Getting leisure time is not easy!

Personally speaking I divide my simming time between X-Plane, Prepar3D, Train Simulator 2014, Euro Truck Simulator 2, and whatever games I happen to be currently playing on my PS4.

So I am also one of the ones who is willing to pay/download/donate to get XP looking right, as I just wanna fire it up and fly! :)

A fair point succinctly made. Some though seem to believe that a simple willingness to pay confers the inalienable right to criticise vociferously. It surely allows us to profer suggested improvements we might like to see once we have paid but the neverending scattergun criticism simply lowers the general tone of the conversation and makes us look collectively a bunch of cranky old gits. That can't be too appealing to potential developers or new entrants to the hobby.

Amazing, X-Plane can't simulate something as simple as seasons!

Amazing ... how long urban legends last :wacko:. X-Plane simulates seasons much better than e.g. FSX. WHAT???

Admittedly there are no season textures by default (but can be upgraded on demand - Simple Season plugin).

Apart from that, wet or icy runways in FSX are very poorly simulated (braking distance for one). Not so in X-Plane: (much) more realistic braking distance

Wing icing is not simulated in FSX (at least not by default) - but in X-Plane (although not perfect, but at least existent)

Fogging and icing of the plane's windows - possible in X-Plane (t.b.h., I don't know if this is possible in FSX or not)

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Things that irk me about the sim.   they crazy - and + half circle knob adjustments these things annoy me to no end the limited GPS system the umm annoying autopilot.

I don't know how far this information has disseminated (apparently not far enough!), but X-Plane 10.3 now has a fully functional GNS 430 and 530 that work as pop-ups, They can also be updated in the panel versions, although the resolution and function is limited in most planes until we get updated HD cockpits. Everything works as in the real thing, and the data is current. 

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Everything works as in the real thing

pffft, it's probably missing at least 75% of the functionality found in the real units...so you might want to rephrase that statement, heh.

Admittedly there are no season textures by default

You answered your own question.

I pay them to simulate seasons. I can do my addon sceneries but seasons is a BASIC!

I pay them to simulate seasons. I can do my addon sceneries but seasons is a BASIC!

You are misunderstanding the exchange here. You don't pay them to do something, you simply purchase the product. There is a world of difference between the two. Of course you are free to make all the suggestions you like but you are not entitled to a sense of entitlement.

pffft, it's probably missing at least 75% of the functionality found in the real units...so you might want to rephrase that statement, heh.

That you include the word "probably" indicates your lack of certainty as of the above post. Perhaps you could list for us the missing attributes that you simply cannot live without in your day to day usage of the units so that we may all better understand why you are so dismissive of Paraffins post as to begin your reply with "pffft"?

Well, well ... I'm very sorry to say, but you don't seem to understand the difference between the bare optical and the physical representation/simulation of something.

SEEING seasons textures but hardly SIMULATING seasons on the one hand, and SIMULATING seasons but not SEEING textures on the other hand is a HUGE difference.

In other words:

Have you ever heard of the Potemkin village and radioactivty?

Potemkin village: you SEE a village, but there is NOTHING (only a "texture")

Radioactivity: you SEE nothing (not even a "texture"), but there are A LOT of alpha particles around with BIG effect.

Discussion finished.

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

That you include the word "probably" indicates your lack of certainty as of the above post. Perhaps you could list for us the missing attributes that you simply cannot live without in your day to day usage of the units so that we may all better understand why you are so dismissive of Paraffins post as to begin your reply with "pffft"?

You seem to enjoy arguing about things which you are obviously not well acquainted with, why is that?

...the only uncertainty here is the exact percentage number...which might be even higher than the number stated. The point to the post is that the xplane gns should in no way be described as a true simulation of the real units which is what his statement eludes.

My post about that was to simply correct his statement (regardless of the exact number which is close enough to make a valid point) so that unknowing shoppers/new users do not get mislead by chance.

You should have a look at the real units...go download the Garmin trainers...or go buy the RealityXP gauges for FSX which are alot closer to being a mirror or true simulation of the real units.

...the Xplane units while being an improvement over their previous incarnation, aren't even close to having everything work the way the real ones do. Compared to that they are truthfully quite toy-ish.

You seem to enjoy arguing about things which you are obviously not well acquainted with, why is that?

...the only uncertainty here is the exact percentage number...which might be even higher than the number stated. The point to the post is that the xplane gns should in no way be described as a true simulation of the real units which is what his statement eludes.

My post about that was to simply correct his statement (regardless of the exact number which is close enough to make a valid point) so that unknowing shoppers/new users do not get mislead by chance.

You should have a look at the real units...go download the Garmin trainers...or go buy the RealityXP gauges for FSX which are alot closer to being a mirror or true simulation of the real units.

...the Xplane units while being an improvement over their previous incarnation, aren't even close to having everything work the way the real ones do. Compared to that they are truthfully quite toy-ish.

The last statement here  http://developer.x-plane.com/2014/03/new-approach-capable-gps-navigator-in-x-plane-10-30/ speaks well:

This does not cover all functions of the real unit, but it covers what the pilot absolutely needs every day.

Never fails that these threads turn into an us vs them pi##ing contest. Won't be long now. :t0115:

NAX669.png

I have my share of posts offering some very nice comments about X-plane. I also started recommending it lately to some of my pilot friends...it has it some really nice features and can be very useful for practicing in specific ways. FSX also has it's strong points...both have horribly annoying and accuracy issues as well.

I say it as I see and don't like to soften the edges either way. If something is fantastic Ill say it is...if something sucks ill say that too. I am quite capapble of seeing both the good and the bad in software titles and am not afraid to speak out in either direction.

I happen to like X-plane (as of 10.3) and I fly BOTH sims for many years. I have been flying FSX since the 80's and at least buying X-plane since version 5 so it's not an "us" "them" thing at all with me.

Just trying to paint a more accurate picture is all. I have not stated anything false...go ask a real pilot who has a 530 installed if you don't want to take my lowly word for it (afterall what does an FAA licensed ADX know about gauges anyway right?).

What is it about my postings thus far that indicates a lack of aquaintance with the matter at hand? What is it that makes my postings argumentative rather than simple expressions of opinion from one who also tends to call it as they see it? In this case my opinion is that your initial posting in reply to Paraffin was unneccesarily dismissive. Any posting that begins with  " pffft" is, again in my personal opinion, unneccesarily dismissive whilst also being inaccurate, you having, as you admit, settled on a percentage pulled from the air.

Actually I have the RealityXP 430 plugin, which I used for X-Plane 9 and 10 32-bit, and only had to give it up when I moved to v10 64-bit because they never bothered to update it to 64-bit.

So I'm familiar with that GPS. And okay, I'll amend my statement and say the new version we have now gives me everything I need for my personal flying, and I suspect that of most other X-Plane pilots (but not all, who might need every single feature).

The real issue here is that FSX owners have complained for years about the lack of a "real" GPS in X-Plane, and I think that issue is moot now. For most people.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor