Sign in to follow this  
yorgosGK

My best P3D v2.2 tweak?

Can someone else with similar system specs (refer to my profile) test this BP entry in P3D v2.2?

I'm getting a massive FPS increase in my testing...& I can't believe its this much of a difference for me.

[bUFFERPOOLS]
UsePools=1
PoolSize=250000

(Also I used my best AM settings)

Would like to hear some confirmation from someone with similar system.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

The BEST tweak, according to hundreds of postings on the net and ALSO stated by LM, is NOT to tweak at all!  :rolleyes: The BUFFERPOOLS tweak/setting has no effect in v2.2. Also confirmed by lots of users wit a vast knowledge from FS and especially P3D.

Why not open the manual supported with P3D v2, Tuning Guide/General Performance Tuning and read.

Editing Prepar3D.cfg

How to Make Changes to your Prepar3D.cfg Configuration File

1. Locate the Prepar3D.cfg file
  2. Create a backup of the original Prepar3D.cfg
  3. Right click file and click "Open", "Edit", or if prompted choose notepad or your other favorite text editor
  4. Add the below text into the specific sections to make the desired changed
  5. Save the newly updated Prepar3D.cfg and begin Prepar3D™

Below are entries to place in Prepar3D.cfg. They have the headings inclosed in brackets and the entries are bolded, followed by Performance Tuning Tips on the intended purpose of the fix.

[DISPLAY]

TextureMaxLoad=6 Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:
CAN induce stutters! Use multiples of 3 *ONLY* (3, 6, 9 etc) perfect for Photorealistic scenery

[TERRAIN]

SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=30 Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:
This variable is the number of frames that the terrain engine will wait for terrain textures to be loaded into video memory before forcing new tiles of terrain triangles to be rendered.

[GRAPHICS]

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1 Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:
Using this rebuilds your shader cache by incrementing the number each time you make a change to the Prepar3D.cfg.

[JOBSCHEDULER]

AffinityMask=14 Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:
Prepar3D runs best with one thread per physical processor core. By default, the application will create one thread per physical processor core. On quad core plus machines, the application will leave the first physical core open to allow the operating system, drivers, and other programs to run without interfering. Please note that many AMD processors that are marketed as 4 or 8 core processors really have 2 or 4 physical cores with something analogous to hyper-threading, so the default of one thread on every other core is still the intended behaviour. The easiest method for modifying the affinity mask is to open the windows calculator in programmer view, select the binary display mode, and flip the bits in the binary number displayed to select which cores the application should run on. Note that the cores are represented right to left. /dd>

[MAIN]

FIBER_FRAME_TIME_FRACTION=0.33
  Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:
This setting, which defaults to a value of .33 (33%), defines the percentage of each frame that is devoted to loading scenery. Increasing this number can reduce "the blurries", but it can cause stutters, and can also reduce the overall frame rate. Try reducing the number to the lowest level where you still get smooth scenery paging. This will vary depending on disk speed as well as the type of flying, as well as the selected scenery settings. 

I understand everything u guys are saying.....the video im going to be posting shortly will prove there is a difference

ELB729.png

What increase are you getting, and what system specs do you have?

yorgus. just did a quick test around JFK/NYC and saw no difference. What are the details of your test flight and graphic settings? 

i7-9700K, MSI Z370, PNY 4070 Super, GTX 750Ti, 32GB GSkill, 43" curved Samsung, 32" BenQ, 11" LED, RealSImGear GTN750, Win10,

P3DV5.4/P3DV6 and MSFS, several GoFlight modules, Saitek radio, Brunner CLS-E NG Yoke, Virtual Fly TQ6.

[bUFFERPOOLS]

UsePools=1

1 or 0 depends on if your running HT or not - thats it

Rich Sennett

After some more tests, I have realized that what happened was actually from OC Guru ii. I downloaded it to turn down my factory OC settings on my card because I was getting driver crashes and white screens, during this install I was in the addon manager from FSDT and I applied the settings there to test them and it applied the Bufferpools tweak.

The massive FPS increase was actually the OC Guru and not the Bufferpools tweak. I was in disbelieve because I was aware of it not working in P3D v2.2 and I couldn't believe it and I thought some how it actually did.

I took out the tweak and I was getting the same average of FPS as without it. 

In the mean time, since your already testing because of me  :rolleyes:  maybe the Nvidia users can look into OC Guru ii. I turned down my Base clock and somehow I got a massive FPS increase. We're talking 10-15 frames better at Max dense.

never-the-less....maybe you can test that out instead

ELB729.png

After some more tests, I have realized that what happened was actually from OC Guru ii. I downloaded it to turn down my factory OC settings on my card because I was getting driver crashes and white screens, during this install I was in the addon manager from FSDT and I applied the settings there to test them and it applied the Bufferpools tweak.

The massive FPS increase was actually the OC Guru and not the Bufferpools tweak. I was in disbelieve because I was aware of it not working in P3D v2.2 and I couldn't believe it and I thought some how it actually did.

I took out the tweak and I was getting the same average of FPS as without it. 

In the mean time, since your already testing because of me  :rolleyes:  maybe the Nvidia users can look into OC Guru ii. I turned down my Base clock and somehow I got a massive FPS increase. We're talking 10-15 frames better at Max dense.

never-the-less....maybe you can test that out instead

I never oc my video card as it causes more problems than its worth - thanks for the heads up on guru never saw that program before

Rich Sennett

I never oc my video card as it causes more problems than its worth - thanks for the heads up on guru never saw that program before

My card is factory OCd and it was way to high and it was very unstable and kept crashing....OC Guru ii let me take down my base clock and it gained me a huge boost....I'm in heaven right now.

ELB729.png

My card is factory OCd and it was way to high and it was very unstable and kept crashing....OC Guru ii let me take down my base clock and it gained me a huge boost....I'm in heaven right now.

Wow can you elaborate not sure how his is possible - thanks

Rich Sennett

Wow can you elaborate not sure how his is possible - thanks

Well my gtx780 has a factory base clock of 1189mhz

at 1189mhz with my AA setting my driver would always crash and recover but it would leave my P3DV2.2 window white or black with sound 

and that would not recover.

I downloaded OC Guru ii from nvidia and turned down my base clock to 1109mhz and i got a massive increase. Im not a pro when it comes to GPUs maybe someone can explain why the increase in frames?

bhAKiGd.jpg

ELB729.png

Well my gtx780 has a factory base clock of 1189mhz

at 1189mhz with my AA setting my driver would always crash and recover but it would leave my P3DV2.2 window white or black with sound 

and that would not recover.

I downloaded OC Guru ii from nvidia and turned down my base clock to 1109mhz and i got a massive increase. Im not a pro when it comes to GPUs maybe someone can explain why the increase in frames?

bhAKiGd.jpg

Great shot by the way - hmm not sure never heard this before very interesting as everyone is always trying to turn it up - have to some homework on this - thanks for sharing - learn something new every day

Rich Sennett

Well for one if the card is unstable it's not going to perform correctly, and also some cards will downclock quite a bit when they hit a certain temp.

What temp were you hitting?

Yes i think it may have been a temp thing.....i dont hit 80 degrees anymore before i was knicking 90.....i never touched clock settings.....it was ocd from the factory....this downclock in OC Guru ii has given me so much more performance its a night a day difference.....im getting 30 frames even in nyc area with fsdts jfk and manhattanx with axe...happy camper right now :)

ELB729.png