Sign in to follow this  
makdrive

PMDG 777-300ER Surround Sound 5.1

Hi

Has anyone tried this ? any feedback, I don't have 5.1 speakers but planning to buy. :)

Capture.jpg

It's awesome.  Make sure you get a THX based 5.1 surround system for best base sound.  Don't bother with the low end system.  Logitech sells some sweet stuff.

Jakub,

What is a THX based 5.1 sound system?

I am about to find a 5.1 system so wish to get the best within a tight budget of around 60 GBP.

Any help, many thanks.

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Here is a good system although it may not exactly fit in your budget.

http://www.logitech.com/en-us/product/speaker-system-z906?crid=47

Here is something from the Wiki to clarify what THX is:

THX Limited (THX Ltd.) is a high-fidelity audio/visual reproduction standard for movie theaters, screening rooms, home theaters, computer speakers, gaming consoles, and car audio systems. The current THX was created in 2002 when it spun off from Lucasfilm Ltd.[1] THX was developed by Tomlinson Holman at George Lucas' company, Lucasfilm, in 1983 to ensure that the soundtrack for the third Star Wars film, Return of the Jedi, would be accurately reproduced in the best venues. THX was named after Holman, with the "X" standing for "crossover"[2] as well as an homage to Lucas's first film, THX 1138. The distinctive glissando used in the THX trailers, created by Holman's coworker James A. Moorer, is known as the "Deep Note".

The THX system is not a recording technology, and it does not specify a sound recording format: all sound formats, whether digital (Dolby Digital, SDDS) or analog (Dolby Stereo, Ultra-Stereo), can be "shown in THX." THX is mainly a quality assurance system. THX-certified theaters provide a high-quality, predictable playback environment to ensure that any film soundtrack mixed in THX will sound as near as possible to the intentions of the mixing engineer. THX also provides certified theaters with a special crossover circuit whose use is part of the standard. Certification of an auditorium entails specific acoustic and other technical requirements; architectural requirements include a floating floor, baffled and acoustically treated walls, non-parallel walls (to reduce standing waves), a perforated screen (to allow center channel continuity), and NC30 rating for background noise ("ensures noise from air conditioning units and projection equipment does not mask the subtle effects in a movie's soundtrack.")[3]

I've not tried either, scared it will increase the VAS load so holding off for now, despite having the 5.1 speaker system and amp.

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.

I've not tried either, scared it will increase the VAS load so holding off for now, despite having the 5.1 speaker system and amp.

I'm running it just fine.  No problems.  Only time i ran into VAS trouble is when I used the taxi cam.  Which I am no longer using due to how much memory it eats up. Don't get me wrong it's a nice addition but I just can't afford to loose a flight...

It is useless to me. According to the operations center, t is only an exterior soundset. I spend zero time flying my airplane from outside. I was hoping for a 5.1 interior soundset, very disappointed.

5.1 Interior is standard I believe.  You can change to stereo if you wish if you download the stereo sound set from the OC.  Exterior sound sets of 5.1 are an addition if you choose to have more realism if your hardware is capable.

Actually - if anything the 5.1 sounds will have a slightly smaller VAS impact as they use mono files, while the stereo soundset uses stereo sounds

It is useless to me. According to the operations center, t is only an exterior soundset. I spend zero time flying my airplane from outside. I was hoping for a 5.1 interior soundset, very disappointed.

Looks like a typo on the Operations Center - The 5.1 sounds are for the cockpit / interior - so please give them a try.

Boeing777_Banner_DevTeam.jpg

Armen L Cholakian
PMDG Sound Engineer

Compatible, sure!

However, I run Senheiser PC363D in 7.1 Surround mode, and it is a nice gimmick, but a real surround setup just sounds so much better.

Thanks Jakub,

I expect to order the Logitech Z506 5.1 system when my supplier has the stock. Cost 59 GBP.

Cheers, Richard

Cheers, Richard

Intel Core i7-7700K @ 4.2 GHz, 16 GB memory, 1 TB SSD, GTX 1080 Ti, 28" 4K display

Win10-64, P3Dv5, PMDG 748 & 777, Milviz KA350i, ASP3D, vPilot, Navigraph, PFPX, ChasePlane, Orbx 

Actually - if anything the 5.1 sounds will have a slightly smaller VAS impact as they use mono files, while the stereo soundset uses stereo sounds

Looks like a typo on the Operations Center - The 5.1 sounds are for the cockpit / interior - so please give them a try.

Really !!! well on your advice let me install them and see :)

spacer.png

MSI Codex 5 10SC-262UK Desktop PC - Intel Core i7-10700, RTX 2060 Graphics, 16GB RAM, 2TB HDD, 256GB SSD.