Sign in to follow this  
Tabs

Weather radar troubleshooting

Ryan, pls. add the 'detailed clouds enabled' option to your document - that setting, missing in my configuration, made me scratch my head for a long time. Also, there are quite a number of users on AVSIM who have solved their issues by activating this option.

'detailed clouds enabled' option to your document - that setting, missing in my configuration, made me scratch my head for a long time

If your talking  about  the detailed cloud setting in fsx than its already covered in the introduction manual  on page 28

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Thanks, Peter. P.28 says "The remaining settings on this page can be set to suit your taste. We recommend the following settings:"

I see neither a reference to the wx radar, nor does the doc state that this is an essential setting (for the radar to show correct depictions).

Anyhoo, anyone who is seeking advice on their wx radar issues by reading the article, may would like to see this item included there?

yea guess your right but I followed  the suggestion given in the intro and havnt  had any issues with anything at all

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

My problem was, I had defined different graphics profiles, some of which have simple clouds only to get me better VAS and fps.

When I started troubleshooting my radar depictions, I checked every reference to wx radar, but since p. 28 doesn't mentioned radar ... (this page is still completely pre-SP1, I assume)

I do not want people to start checking dll's, deleting ini's and reinstalling stuff before making sure they have their cloud settings correct.

Yeah, I'm in the process of trying to verify the detailed clouds information for sure with the ASN guys - will update the document as soon as I have the exact facts on it.

Ryan Maziarz
devteam.jpg

For fastest support, please submit a ticket at http://support.precisionmanuals.com

Hi, I use opusfsx to inject my weather, i do have the latest ASN installed and my weather radar does work in my aircraft PMDG T7 200 and 300. However just to clarify must I have ASN running in detail mode in the background for my radar to update? Will the radar see the weather injected into FSX by Opus? Or is it receiving it purely from ASN?

Phil

Hi Phil,

ASN (and no other engine) has to be running, otherwise the radar signals will not be in sync with the effects (precipitation intensity, turbulence) you'll get in the simulator, essentially making the radar useless (You'll get generic precipitation, but it will be meaningless for weather avoidance for example). In addition, the predictive wind shear system will be non- functional and this way you lose a significant feature implemented by HiFi in collaboration with PMDG.

ASN modules have been designed to work with the main ASN application running. Standalone use has not been tested and there is a significant chance you will get erroneous signals in certain situations, not to mention that this may be the source of sim instability (memory leaks, random crashes and/or freezes). 

So, simply having ASN installed is not enough and it is strongly not advised to use it in the unsupported way you suggest.

Thanks,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi Folks,

I  worked all day after installing the new SP1, on the wx. radar not working.  Finally found the problem with the detailed clouds being," unchecked" on another forum.

Now working good, and looking for bad weather.   The wx radar is very real, just like in the real world,,,  good job by the PMDG crew.

Cheers,

JFriz

Forgot to mention, really hope PMDG, will add the wx. radar to the 737.

Thanks again,

JFriz

Hi

Just a couple of question on ASN and FSX setup for weather radar.

I read somewhere that in FSX, if you have ASN you can set "Cloud coverage density right down to the lowest setting in FSX as ASN injects its own cloud density through your ASN settings.  Any advice on this would be helpful.

Also for some reason, I can't seem to check the detail box in ASN on the map page.  Was wondering how you do this

Many thanks

Terry S

Can't confirm for ASN to manipulate the cloud coverage density (except for enhancing 'broken' towards '7/8'). In FSX you should set the slider to 'max'.

The 'detail' button on the ASN map should be pressed when FSX has already started the flight (no loading progress bar anymore) and without any FSX menu open.

Hi Terry,

I don't think this discussion belongs here, but anyway....

ASN handles most of the weather related options in fsx. There are 2 exceptions:

- When a user sets a cloud coverage density less than 8 (the max value). It does however force the value to 8 in case a user has set it through fsx.cfg to 12 (as is commonly done with the false assumption that this will enhance overcast depiction)

- When a user wants to use simple clouds (unchecked the detailed clouds) (note: this has to be checked for the radar to work properly)

Both of these are performance related options. As for cloud draw distance we control it dynamically, but at least we replace it with an option in ASN settings (this was done this way so that users have a chance to automatically have increased cloud draw distance when at cruise level, while reducing this when not needed: on ground/approach etc) 

As for the detailed button, ASN needs to be connected to fsx and received the aircraft position for this to be enabled.

Thanks,

Kostas Terzides

devteam_bannerA.png

Hi Olli

Many thanks for your reply. 

Ok with max cloud cover density, was trying to set ASN before sim had started. Typical noob

Hi Kterz

Many thanks for your reply.  Sorry about post location.  Found the solution after starting sim and trying the detail box. :fool:

Many thanks again

Terry.S