Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Recent Forum Performance

Tom,

I am wondering if you can explain (in layman's terms) why the forums are performing so poorly lately.   Now I know this seems to come up at the time of a major release such as the recent release of the 777 SP1 and 300ER.  Having said that, I am quite surprised that the total number of users is relatively small (800 to 1000).  Yes that is a lot of people accessing the forums but in the grand scheme of what we see on the internet these days with millions or even tens of millions of people accessing sites simultaneously I would have thought the Avsim forums would have no issue handling a few thousand connections.  Just wondering.

thanks,

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Hey look I am not try to bash the site, I really like this site and I am here several times a day.  I am actually really curious as to why.  I am not a programmer and don't run a site so there may be very valid reasons that I and many other don't understand, it may simply be a matter of finance, I don't know.  I just want to get a better understanding.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I'm wondering too. In recent days - probably to improve performance - I noticed that the latest forum thread page was replaced with the standard forum listing. That made a big difference in loading time.

For the first time today I noticed that My PC and My Sim are missing from the profile. Again, I guess that's to try and improve performance. I hope My PC returns as it's useful when commenting on a poster's performance issues with a sim.

I wonder if in the long term it might be advantageous to split the forum into multiple sections with different logins. The PMDG section takes a hammering when a new package is released and this appears to affect the whole community. I'm not singling out PMDG. I guess other commercial sections might also be affected with new releases.

Just my thoughts. I do love this place. :smile:

Ray (Cheshire, England).
System: P3D v5.3HF2, Intel i9-13900K, MSI 4090 GAMING X TRIO 24G, Crucial T700 4Tb M.2 SSD, Asus ROG Maximus Z790 Hero, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR5 6000Mhz RAM, Win 11 Pro 64-bit, BenQ PD3200U 32” UHD monitor, Fulcrum One yoke.
Cheadle Hulme Weather

When you have several topics such as the PMDG releases and/or updates along with the Dovetail Games purchase of the flight simulator license, along with all the other active topics, the forums are bound to get congested. I've noticed it too, but understand that there is only so much bandwidth available and when it gets that busy, it will slow down. This is similar to rush hour traffic on major roads. Tom is doing what he can to manage this behind the scenes too, I'm sure.

Thank you.

Rick

$Silver Donor

EAA 1317610   I7-7700K @ 4.5ghz, MSI Z270 Gaming MB,  32gb 3200,  Geforce RTX2080 Super O/C,  28" Samsung 4k Monitor,  Various SSD, HD, and peripherals