Sign in to follow this  
martin-w

Main Gear Touchdown Sound Absent.

Is anyone at all getting any kind of main gear touchdown sound?

I'm curious to know.

Didn't get anything prior to SP1 and nothing now.

Nose gear is fine, you can hear that guy hit the tarmac, but the main gear is dead silent. So quiet that by sound alone you would have no idea you had touched down. I've tried sound settings to no avail.

Did PMDG miss out a sound file?

I was wondering this yesterday. At least I would think you'd hear a dull thud (obviously not as loud as the nose gear, because the mains are so far behind you).

I'm fairly sure they were there on the 200 (pre SP1). I need to fly it again.

Best regards,

Robin.

Thanks Robin. Definitely not there for me pre SP1.

Just landed in Malaga, and heard a very faint rumble. Nowhere near as pronounced as it needs to be.

Nowhere near as pronounced as it needs to be.

According to...?

Kyle Rodgers

Hi,

Definitely there on the 200, and not sure if the faintest noise is there on the 300 (the touchdown isn't silent, or at least doesn't appear to be).

I'm fairly sure it was reactive to how hard you touchdown as well - might be worth trying to slam it on (with crashes disabled)?

Best regards,

Robin.

According to...?

According to anyone with common sense, with ears.

It's "almost" non existent. Landing in Malaga it was ultra quiet, in fact I may have been imagining it.

Also according to Rob. I asked him this very question and he tells me you can definitely hear the main gear impacting the tarmac, volume dependant on how heavy the landing is obviously.

We are talking stealth landings here.

Definitely there on the 200, and not sure if the faintest noise is there on the 300 (the touchdown isn't silent, or at least doesn't appear to be).

Thanks Robin. This was in the 200 for me.

I'm fairly sure it was reactive to how hard you touchdown as well - might be worth trying to slam it on (with crashes disabled)?

Tried that, no dice.

According to anyone with common sense, with ears.

I'm very, very, very hesitant to trust simmer "common sense."  Sorry, but let's all remember that simmer "common sense" asserts that the 250/10 rule is unbreakable.

Also according to Rob. I asked him this very question and he tells me you can definitely hear the main gear impacting the tarmac, volume dependant on how heavy the landing is obviously.

Rob flies the -300?  That's news to me...

Different aircraft.  Different behavior.

Kyle Rodgers

Hmm - let me do some more tests to check that it is the mains I'm hearing.

Seriously? We're not asking to hear tyres screeching as it touches down. Maybe a dull thud, but definitely not silence.

It's a 200 but that's not the point...

This is the 300. You can still hear it despite the rubbish audio.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=player_detailpage&v=bCiZNhOb71w#t=303

Best regards,

Robin.

I dont have any problem with the maingear noise as i think i hear enough to be realistic but i ld love to have each tire to have the smoke effect in order to observe smooth landings because you dont see the smoke untill all tires touch down. I ve discussed this in a different topic long time ago and hoped that it ld be added in sp1 but as long as i ve seen in the first Impression videos, i didnt see any change( i ll test my sp1 once i get back home from holiday). Its not a must have feature but you know, it would be cool to clearly see when landing perfectly smooth

Here is an example:

http://photos.plane-mad.com/42/large/42711.jpg

Hi,

Present on 300ER as well, but quiet - you could miss it.

Best regards,

Robin.

It's a 200 but that's not the point...

It very much is the point.  It's a different aircraft.  Sounds come from different locations, and sound - as a simple matter of science, mind you - exponentially decays as function of increased relative distance.  Increasing distance only by a small amount can have a rather marked effect on the sound's intensity.

Since the landing gear is farther back, the intensity will be lower (and therefore quieter).

Sure, you could get some reverb down the airframe if you smack hard enough, but you'd have to plant it pretty well.

This is the 300. You can still hear it despite the rubbish audio.

The only thing I could hear was the spoilers deploy.  The smack was the nosegear hitting.

Watch the spoiler handle.  The only thing you can hear anywhere around where the main gear hit coincides with that handle moving.  After that, the only noise you hear is the louder smack, which is clearly the nose gear, as the spoilers wouldn't deploy prior to the mains hitting.

From 05:07:

05:08: "TEN"

05:08-05:10: Ambient noise

05:11: *scrub scrub* [spoiler deployment]

05:11-05:14: Ambient noise

05:14: *smack* [nose gear touches]

Kyle Rodgers

I'm very, very, very hesitant to trust simmer "common sense."  Sorry, but let's all remember that simmer "common sense" asserts that the 250/10 rule is unbreakable.

​Kyle, why are you being argumentative? It's common sense that you should at least hear "something" when you impact the ground heavily. I hear nothing. I could just as well be 500 feet in the air.

He flies the 777... do you not remember the plethora of posts regarding the trim Issue. His profession was made clear a number of times.

Are you trying to tell us that it's normal for a large passenger airliner to hit the ground heavily, and not a sound be heard?

Why don't you just tell us your experience. Do you hear the main gear impacting the tarmac yourself?

If you are telling me it's normal to hit the tarmac in a 777, like a ton of bricks and hear nothing, then that's a first for me. 

Rgrding Robin's video above... That sounds about what I was expecting. I hear nothing at all. Maybe it's my sound settings, but so far no adjustment helps.

I have literally no audible indication that I am on the runway.

​Kyle, why are you being argumentative? It's common sense that you should at least hear "something" when you impact the ground heavily. I hear nothing. I could just as well be 500 feet in the air.

I'm not arguing for the sake of arguing.  I'm arguing because I perceive you are incorrect.

This is exactly the same as what I'd be doing if people were saying that the 777 is missing RR, and PW engine options.

He flies the 777... do you not remember the plethora of posts regarding the trim Issue. His profession was made clear a number of times.

Yes, I remember his posts about flying the 777, but I don't recall them stating specifically that he has or hasn't flown the -300.  It's a different plane.  It will have different sounds associated with different events.

See above about sound intensity and exponential decay.

Also, see above video "evidence" essentially proving my point.

"TEN!"

[No noise]

*Spoiler deployment*

Funny thing about the spoilers is they they're driven by a WoW switch.  The absence of noise between "TEN!" and the spoiler deployment shows that they touched down without much noticeable noise up front.  "TEN!" shows they were int the air, and the spoilers wouldn't deploy without the mains touching.  No noise in between.

...but I must just be arguing to argue...right?

Kyle Rodgers

Yes, I remember his posts about flying the 777, but I don't recall them stating specifically that he has or hasn't flown the -300. It's a different plane. It will have different sounds associated with different events.

Okay... I have no touchdown sounds in the 300

I have no touchdown sounds in the 200

I had no touchdown sounds prior to SP1

Robin has touchdown sounds in the 200

Robin has faint touchdown sounds in the 300

Kagricartal tells us he has main gear sounds

All of the above information available in this thread.

I don't! No gear touching down, no spoiler deployment. As I said... no audible indication of landing at all.

Even with a very heavy landing.

Rather than arguing Kyle, why don't you tell me what you hear. Are you saying you hear nothing, like me

Are you saying that when you touchdown, in regard to sound changes, you could just as well be still at 10,000 feet?