Sign in to follow this  

P3D V2.3 Beta 2 Testing

[quote name="Rob Ainscough" post="3047180" timestamp="

I thought I was pretty good at getting the most out of FSX, but apparently not ... but would really like to see ... I typically don't like making platform comparisons but folks seem intent on it.

Cheers, Rob.

I wasn't intending to compare the visuals - I can't run at that resolution much less crank the AA that high in either sim. I'm just describing the difference between 30 and 60 fps (with a 60hz monitor ) is very noticeable to me.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hi Ryan, 

Your speed and relative motion (panning views and/or TrackIR) is the primary relationship or need of FPS.

This was demonstrated here: https://frames-per-second.appspot.com/ -- set the velocity low (50px/s on both balls) and the difference between 30 fps and 60 fps will not be noticeable.  However, increase the velocity to 100 px/s and the difference between 30 and 60 fps does become noticeable.

More fps is always a good thing, but it's how you fly that really determines your fps needs (and probably why there is such a huge variance of opinion on the subject of fps).  TrackIR users with twitchy profiles and/or heads ;) will have a need for higher fps requirement.  People that fly low and fast at 500 Kts 500' AGL will also have a need for higher fps (about 230-240 fps to be exact and a 240Hz monitor), people that fly low and slow may only need 20 fps.

Don't get me wrong, I would like more FPS also ... I'm a TrackIR users and I like to fly various aircraft - fast and slow.

Cheers, Rob.

The Fog does look like it has changed, it seems to have greater variance (less flat) and far less performance impact.

Based on one of your videos, I concur that the fog looks much less flat and significantly more realistic.  Really looking forward to the 2.3 release.

spacer.png

REX AccuSeason Developer

REX Simulations

I was going to post this info in my Seneca V thread, but it probably makes more sense to have it here:

Here are how various AA settings and ground shadow and cloud shadow texture settings can impact visuals and performance.  The ground/cloud shadow texture settings are actually modified via the prepar3d.cfg and aren't available via UI.

[GRAPHICS]

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

The values to use are your typical texture size settings ... i.e. 512, 1024, 2048, 4096.  I'm not sure these settings are available in v2.2 (but don't quote me).  But if you are running many clouds and cloud layers, these settings can make a huge difference in performance (as measured by FPS) ... in my case as much as 60% improvement in FPS.  (the default values I believe are Ground = 2048 and Cloud = 1024)

NOTE: these settings are independent of the Shadow Quality value.

Some images of the various settings (large 2560 x 1600) and is best viewed full screen.

As you can, SGSS AA and high values for Cloud/Ground shadow textures can make one's FPS go from 60 to 14.

Cheers, Rob.

Hi rob. do you see a big difference between stability, Fps , antialissing with 2.2?

[GRAPHICS]

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

Confirmed these do not live in P3D.cfg file  -   (P3D V2)

But they do now - have to try it  :)

Rich Sennett

Hi rob. do you see a big difference between stability, Fps, antialissing

Stability is much improved, it has NOT crashed on me yet and I've tossed all kinds of stuff at it ... not a single d3dcsx_43.dll error even when using SGSS AA which was a known cause for this error.  But keep in mind I've had to disable many entries in my DLL.XML -  Orbx ObjectFlow, Virtuali, ASN, etc. as they will not work with 2.3 beta ... I'm sure all those will get updates once 2.3 is officially released.

FPS has improve, you will see a big difference when running clouds shadows at any time of day.  But overall performance is about 15-20% improvement on my system and more importantly far fewer "long frames" aka stutters.

Improved AA and Ambient Occlusion will need to come from nVidia drivers ... LM are working with nVidia even if the latest 340.52 WHQL nVidia drivers break P3D (stay with 337.88 for now).  As far as I know DX11 only works with MSAA and shader based AA methods.

Confirmed these do not live in P3D.cfg file  -   (P3D V2)

They don't "live" in the P3D.cfg for v2.3 beta either (I had to add them), a tip I got from Beau, or Adam, or Wes, or Michael, or  Zach, or was it Kevin or ... sorry can't remember, LM crew seems to keep expanding everyday ... but one of them put me onto those entries.

Cheers, Rob.

Stability is much improved, it has NOT crashed on me yet and I've tossed all kinds of stuff at it ... not a single d3dcsx_43.dll error even when using SGSS AA which was a known cause for this error.  But keep in mind I've had to disable many entries in my DLL.XML -  Orbx ObjectFlow, Virtuali, ASN, etc. as they will not work with 2.3 beta ... I'm sure all those will get updates once 2.3 is officially released.

FPS has improve, you will see a big difference when running clouds shadows at any time of day.  But overall performance is about 15-20% improvement on my system and more importantly far fewer "long frames" aka stutters.

Improved AA and Ambient Occlusion will need to come from nVidia drivers ... LM are working with nVidia even if the latest 340.52 WHQL nVidia drivers break P3D (stay with 337.88 for now).  As far as I know DX11 only works with MSAA and shader based AA methods.

They don't "live" in the P3D.cfg for v2.3 beta either (I had to add them), a tip I got from Beau, or Adam, or Wes, or Michael, or  Zach, or was it Kevin or ... sorry can't remember, LM crew seems to keep expanding everyday ... but one of them put me onto those entries.

Cheers, Rob.

Great info Rob thanks for all the tweaks - big help

Rich Sennett

Great info Rob thanks for all the tweaks - big help

Hey Rich, did those settings work for you in v2.2?

On a side note: how is Aerosoft's Airbus X working for you in P3D v2.x?

Cheers, Rob.

Hey Rich, did those settings work for you in v2.2?

On a side note: how is Aerosoft's Airbus X working for you in P3D v2.x?

Cheers, Rob.

i entered them Rob - no harm done but I am going to turn on some shadows next time in - I just have been trying to figure out my FB KDEN problem right now - I will try in a bit

As for the AXE - works perfectly - also I just luv the immersion the AXE offers with the co-pilot experience just amazing - wish all my heavies had this offering  :)

Rich Sennett

FB KDEN problem

Want to expand on that?

Performance wise, is the AXE about the same as other heavies?

Cheers, Rob.

Want to expand on that?

Cheers, Rob.

Sure Rob maybe you have some ideas - I have never seen this before

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/448300-flightbeam-kden-issues-need-help/

AXE is about 30% better than CS777

Rich Sennett

Want to expand on that?

Cheers, Rob.

Here you go Rob - 60 fps over FB KDEN - 512 cloud entry into cfg. file I think your on to something it was almost like they were not loaded - excellent 

14wbyfm.jpg

Rich Sennett

Sure Rob maybe you have some ideas - I have never seen this before

I have used FB KDEN in v2.2 and I didn't notice those issues ... however, I have not spent much time at that airport.  If you can get Humberto or Mir to get me an updated couatl.exe and bglmanx.dll that will work in my v2.3 beta 2, I'd be happy to test it out for you.

Cheers, Rob.