Sign in to follow this  
xkoote

Saitek Pro Flight Pedals

Dear all,

even though this is not a PMDG specific problem me thinks, I hope my PMDG brethren can help me out.

The problem lies with these rudder pedals. I have a feeling I get dragging brakes as it is now.

Condition: I taxi out with my 777.....on purpose I avoid using the toe brakes. The aircraft accelerates

on 25-27% N1 depending on weight. As PMDG have claimed it should. Very realistic and thank you PMDG.

Now as soon as I depress the brake pedals the first time and release, say to slow down for a turn. The 777

keeps slowing down. Even after releasing the brakes. From that point on I need 30-32% N1 to maintain decent

taxi speed. Any attempts to lower the N1 to where it was earlier during taxi out will slow the 777 to a halt.

During this period I went to the Saitek control panel to see if I get a deflection on the toe brake indicators, but they

are both at 0. Any of you ever had this problem? Is there maybe a way to see what FSX is seeing as brake peda

application?

Thanks guys,

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Any of you ever had this problem?

Did your autobrakes kick off (you'll see the AB knob at the DISARMED detent)?  In the intro manual it states that you need to press the toe brakes twice to get autobrakes to kick off.

Kyle Rodgers

The problem is already there during taxi out. So apply initial power --> Taxi at 17 kts @ 25.5% N1 --> Apply some toe brakes to slow down for a turn --> 777 kreeps to a halt during the turn --> Apply 35% N1 --> Plane starts rolling again --> 25.5% N1 and the 777 kreeps to a halt --> Maintain 32% N1 to continue taxiing to holding point.

Something like that is how it goes for me...

Xander

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Something like that is how it goes for me...

Calibrating through FSUIPC or FSX?

Kyle Rodgers

I have stayed clear of FSUIPC, I use proprietary coontroller set at 50% null zone, and FSX internal set at minimum null zone.

Guess it would be wise to increase the FSX toe brake null zone to say 50% as well?

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

I have stayed clear of FSUIPC, I use proprietary coontroller set at 50% null zone, and FSX internal set at minimum null zone.

Guess it would be wise to increase the FSX toe brake null zone to say 50% as well?

Actually, Saitek recommends the opposite: 0% null, max sensitivity.  I was installing / setting up my X55 last night and that was mentioned in the manual.  I'd imagine the pedals are similar.

What I ended up doing is loading their program where you can adjust the curves and all of that, and running all of the axes through their range of motion.  After that, I calibrated through Windows.  At first, my throttles were sitting at 0% until I touched them, and then they'd sit at about 15% even though the hardware was all the way back.  After doing what I just described, they're super precise and use the whole range.  My bet is that the pedals are doing similar.

Kyle Rodgers

Will try that out see how it goes. Thanks Kyle.

Xander Koote

All round aviation geek

1st Officer Boeing 777

Funny as that, but when you disarm the autobrakes, the whole phenomena disappears. At least with my sim. If I load a clean flight, the problem is not present. Anyone?

Cheers,

I calibrate my toe brakes through FSUIPC and it's fantastic.  I also set the response curve very shallow so you need to press harder and further to get a good brake action.  My buddy told me in the 737 sim you really need to press the brakes hard to get some action, so I assume it's the same with the other boeings.