Sign in to follow this  
Press2MECO

First Time Builder, System Peer Review

Hey all,

Going to jump on the "critque my build" bandwagon.

First time PC builder, looking for a peer review of the system I have specd out. Spent some time on a fewFSX specific system builder sites seeing what sort of systems they build, and then read through a majority of NickN's bible.
I think I hit all the key spots. Was also pleased to see it came in below my self assigned budget. The common cry of "you can build it cheaper yourself" appears to indeed have merit!

But again, as a first time builder, just want to make sure none of the finer details got missed, specificially when it comes to MOBO selection, memory, and perhaps even the case.

OC'ing isn't an immediate objective, but figured I'd get the aftermarket cooler to be prepared.

Just looking to get out of this pretty much what most others are: as close to smooth operation/display of FSX using the top-end add-ons.

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/tzRddC

CPU: Intel Core i7-4790K 4.0GHz Quad-Core Processor 
CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i 77.0 CFM Liquid CPU Cooler 
Motherboard: Asus Z97-A ATX LGA1150 Motherboard 
Memory: Corsair Vengeance 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-2133 Memory 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 120GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 500GB 2.5" Solid State Drive 
Storage: Western Digital Caviar Black 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive 
Video Card: EVGA GeForce GTX 780 3GB Dual FTW ACX Video Card 
Case: NZXT Phantom 410 (White) ATX Mid Tower Case 
Power Supply: Corsair Professional 750W 80+ Gold Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply 
Optical Drive: Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE DVD/CD Writer 
Operating System: Microsoft Windows 7 Home Premium SP1 (OEM) (64-bit) 

Thanks in advance for any feedback.

Looks a-ok here

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Looks awesome... I just built almost the same systems minus the graphics card and a msi gaming 7 motherboard. You will be very happy with the results. There really isnt a need to overclock these processors they are fast at 4.4.

Congrats, Very nice system

Something I read says 'Intel Core i7 "Haswell-E" HEDT (high-end desktop) processors, along with compatible motherboards based on the Intel X99 Express chipset, are expected to launch on September 14, 2014' - 8 core and DDR4

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

OP - completely ignore what VeryBumpy posted.  Your 4790K cpu will NOT fit a z77 motherboard

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Bloody hell, the description of that ASRock motherboard sounds like something from a boy racer's "pimp your ride" manual :blink:

Christopher Low

UK2000 Beta Tester

FSBetaTesters3.png

I wanted the Red one, whatever it does. :Hypnotized:

Steve Waite: Engineer at codelegend.com

OP - completely ignore what VeryBumpy posted.  Your 4790K cpu will NOT fit a z77 motherboard

You are correct. Intel Z97 version it whats needed. Darn socket changes.

Bloody hell, the description of that ASRock motherboard sounds like something from a boy racer's "pimp your ride" manual :blink:

Ouch!

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

Are you putting Windows on the 120GB and FSX on the 500?

That's basically what I did.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Hey everyone! Thanks for the prompt and reassuring responses!
Glad to hear I targeted everything right. Going to start pricing items this evening.
And yes, the plan is for WIN7 to reside on one SSD drive, FSX on another SSD, and the mechanical drive for overflow storage.

It looks great to me! However, I would recommend this motherboard for you

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16813128706

One last thing, I highly recommend that you get a full tower case! It will make airflow greats and keep it cool enough. In addition, you will have more room inside the case! Keep in mind that most of Video cards these days are huge!