Sign in to follow this  
danbw10

How Are These Temps For I7-4790K?

Hello everyone,

So my PC past a stress test fine, I just got my system fired up and after a few hours, installed RealTemp to review the temperatures whilst running FSX on high (whether high or low makes much of a difference I dont know), and whilst running FSX, my temps were between 60-85 degrees celcius. I have not overlocked, however CPU-Z indicates that my CPU is running on constant 4.4GHz even with no programs running. I don't know if this is normal. Keep in mind this is using the Antec Kuhler H2O 650 liquid cooling system. At idle the CPU runs generally 50+ degrees.

Thanks in advance and any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Dan

I think that is probably too warm with a liquid cooler. Maybe try reseating the CPU with new thermal paste?

Try looking in the BIOS and finding the cpu and system fan options, and turn them to "Full Speed" or similar.  See if that helps.  I have my kuhler 620 with 2 fans set to always be at full speed, my chip idles at between 20-30c and has only got into the 50's under full load clocked at 4.5ghz with HT on.

P3D v4.5 MSFS2020 Hisense 50" 4K TV

Ryzen 5800X, 32gb DDR 3600mhz, MSI B550 PRO VDH WiFi, MSI 6900XT Z Trio, Gammaxx L360, 1TB NVMe Boot/FS2020 Drive, 1TB NVMe P3D Drive, 1Tb Crucial SSD Storage Drive, Saitek Yoke, Pedals, Radio Panel, Switch Panel, 2 x FiPs

UKV6427

Thanks for your replies! Which programs do you guys use to monitor temperatures by the way?

I have also used a laptop which has an i7 at 2.3GHz with turbo to 3.3GHz and for 2 years ive run fsx where temps went over 90 degrees C and it still coped, and i thought this was fine, but not normal. I thought nothing of it and now realise it's not the best idea. I am not good with computers and got a company to build it for me, and preferably I would like to avoid the hassle of sending it back to them to get the problem rectified. 

I exaggerated a bit with the temps. I idle 45-50 C and with FSX running, it generally sticks between 60-70 C with the odd time hitting the high 70 C. Just once did it hit 81 C.

I use RealTemp too.

Between 60 and 70 is perfectly acceptable (and it is summer if you are not Down Under..), so this may

go down a bit during the cooler season..

BTW, if you are running a steady 4.4 GHz, maybe the system builders set it up this way for you..

Have a look in Windows Power Options and try Balanced instead of High Performance..

Bert

and whilst running FSX, my temps were between 60-85 degrees celcius.

As Burt alluded to, what's your ambient temperature?

If it's gone all the way up to 85, then even in the summer months that would be high. Clearly your CPU would shut down if you attempted to run a stress test.

For my CPU [3770K] to reach 85, I would need to be sweltering in a 40C room.

Tell us your ambient temperature and we can comment further.

Ambient temperature at the moment is between 20-25 C.

Let me again note that **it seems** as though my CPU has been overclockedas RealTemp and CPU-Z only show it running at 4.4GHz when its stock frequency is 4.00GHz. I got a company to build it for me, so I don't know. So that goes back to what Bert said, maybe they set it at 4.4GHz. Is there any way I can check if there is an overclock?

Let me again note that **it seems** as though my CPU has been overclockedas RealTemp and CPU-Z only show it running at 4.4GHz when its stock frequency is 4.00GHz. I got a company to build it for me, so I don't know. So that goes back to what Bert said, maybe they set it at 4.4GHz. Is there any way I can check if there is an overclock?

That would show up in your Bios settings.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

If your ambient is 25, and you saw as high as 85, then that's 60 above ambient. That's quite a lot higher than ambient for a mere 4.4 Ghz. Especially when just running FSX. It's about 20 degrees hotter than I would have expected.

60-80C is a bit vague really.

Check in RealTemp, and tell us what the max temps are per core, while running FSX, and what the ambient is during the test.

For the 4790K, 4.4GHz is the max turbo frequency.

My 4790K idle in win around 30C at 22C ambient, normal  idle temp for Haswell is + 8-10C over ambient.

Vcore reading from CPUZ ? think the temps is way to high as Martin say, even at 5GHZ with vcore 1.43V it would be to high.

Second day of testing, and I let a lot more cooler air into my room and see the results, which are better: 

At Idle: http://billedeupload.dk/?v=YaU8j.png

With FSX (UK2000, PMDG 777, max settings - whether that makes much of a differenence): http://billedeupload.dk/?v=wSZPp.png

Images are of RealTemp

Earlier, same day (today) the two central cores hit 81 C and 82 C but that was out of sync with my other results. I consulted the company who built it for me and who supposedly overlocked it to 4.4GHz constant, and they say its perfectly normal. 

Cheers,

Dan

If you are still worried about it, buy yourself another 120 mm fan and sandwich the radiator in between.  A push/pull arrangement around the radiator will bring you down some. 

Taking the liquid cooling thing off, and repasting the thermal stuff on is, as suggested above, an option, which you may or may not want to do depending on your comfort level getting inside the case.  Since it's your processor, you'll probably do a better job than some guy slapping it on at the factory, or perhaps just attached the cooling unit with whatever gunk was smeared on the Antec heat plate out of the box. 

. I consulted the company who built it for me and who supposedly overlocked it to 4.4GHz constant, and they say its perfectly normal. 

Thats not normal idle temps, took a screen from 2 computers in the same room one 2700K no OC wiyh stock cooler and second from my 4670K watercooled  @5ghz 1.38v.
4670k%202700k%20realtemp.png