Sign in to follow this  
roroma

New Graphics Card For X-Plane

I'm considering buying a new graphics card for XP10 and I'm wondering if anybody here has any thoughts on how significantly my performance in XP10 will change.

I'm currently running XP10 at extreme res with a lot of autogen (2nd highest setting for buildings, third highest setting for trees), default roads, static shadows and no water reflection detail (the only difference I have noticed so far is noticeable only when flying close to water... I fly airliners and from FL370 detailed water looks no different than no detail. As a matter of fact, it looks no different to me from 1,000 feet either). 

My average FPS is 30-50. In rural areas I get 80 without a problem. However, with shadows set to "3d on aircraft" the frame rates are too low in detailed cockpits such as the FF 757 due to in-cockpit shadowing. In addition, I can't use OSM Scenery either without flying around at 10 FPS. So, I want to upgrade. Based on the specs I'm about to provide, my best guess is to replace my graphics card if I'm looking for better performance with more detail.

RELEVANT SPECS:

i7 Sandybridge 3.4 turbo to 3.8 (no problem here)

8gb 1333Mhz ram (there's faster stuff out there, but I don't think it's a big issue, especially with my current frame rates)

EVGA GTX 570 - 1280Mb memory. I think this is where the problem is. 

If I upgrade to an EVGA GTX 760 with 4GB memory will it be enough to keep my frame rates from 30-50 while running "3D on aircraft" shadows, NO water detail, OSM Scenery, extreme res, and maybe some more roads? (Cars will be set to SIberia Winter if necessary... as long as there are some cars I'll be satisfied.)

Thanks

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

770 GTX 4GB is where you want to be going, if your budget conscious and still want brilliant performance. Plus the price dropped on them now. 

I agree with lanrivaldosmith. Get GTX 770 4GB is good.  ^_^

José Luís

| Flightsimulator: MSFS | Add-Ons: | PMDG Douglas DC-6 | PMDG 737-700 | Fenix A320 | Maddog X MD82| FSW CESSNA 414AW CHANCELLOR |

I also agree on the 4Gb 770. I went from a GTX 460v2 to a GTX 770 4Gb and I love the improvements it gave me. I can run fairly high settings and I've got a really really crappy CPU! (i5 750!)

And if you have a bit more bucks to shell out ... and want to be a tiny bit more future proof, there are also some 6 GB models of the 780 GTX (NOT TITAN ... which are even more expensive and also a bit louder). Have one myself, and it is running X-Plane very nicely. But I agree, that if you want the best price / performance ratio, the 4GB 770GTX might be the better deal.

Thanks for the responses. The 770 is 100 dollars more than the 760 and they have the same VRAM,so would x-plane still run well with the 4gb 760?

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

I doubt if anyone has migrated to a 770 from a 760 so a comparison from experience is unlikely. It boils down as these things usually do to a case of get the best you can afford. I took this pic a while back, I think I still run these settings (water is on low now I think and I use about 40% clouds with SkyMaxxPro) with World2XPlane OSM and photoscenery. I get in the 30's in 3d cockpit over cityscapes now after the recent beta updates, depending on the cockpit it can go as low as 20's.

Capture2.PNG

I've got the570 as you and the 770 4GB is exactly what I'm getting next upgrade... Unless the 870 comes out hege

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Advice is generally free because that's usually what it's worth :Straight Face: . If it was my decision to make between the two, it's not but if it were, I would be inclined to wait until I comfortably could save the price of the better card. I perfectly understand the compulsion to buy now but maybe it would be better to wait a little longer? It would be a real sickener if you got the lesser card and realised it didn't do what you'd hoped but you were now stuck with it. X-Plane will continue to improve and demand ever more of the hardware we throw at it but once the purchase is made, you'll be stuck with it until the next upgrade cycle, there's no rush.

Advice is generally free because that's usually what it's worth :Straight Face: . If it was my decision to make between the two, it's not but if it were, I would be inclined to wait until I comfortably could save the price of the better card. I perfectly understand the compulsion to buy now but maybe it would be better to wait a little longer? It would be a real sickener if you got the lesser card and realised it didn't do what you'd hoped but you were now stuck with it. X-Plane will continue to improve and demand ever more of the hardware we throw at it but once the purchase is made, you'll be stuck with it until the next upgrade cycle, there's no rush.

Thanks... I definitely have enough money saved for the 770, I was just wondering if the 100 dollars extra is worth it.

Apparently, based on the feedback here and through my own research, it is.

I've chosen the GTX 770!

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Don't forget the 4 GB variant!

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Don't forget the 4 GB variant!

Definitely won't!! 

Ara Mahs, Private Pilot

Thanks... I definitely have enough money saved for the 770, I was just wondering if the 100 dollars extra is worth it.

Apparently, based on the feedback here and through my own research, it is.

I've chosen the GTX 770!

Dont get anything less then a 4GB card! I went from a 4gb to a 6gb card and it made a big difference ! You can check your vram usage with Nvidia Inspector.

Evga has a 90 day step up program: http://www.evga.com/support/stepup/

AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D, 6800XT, Ram - 32GB, 32" 4K Monitor, WIN 11, XP-12 !

Eric Escobar