Sign in to follow this  
Tight Git

Atc Prefers To Talk To Other Pilots!

(Apologies if this has been covered.  I did look back over last 10 pages...)

I've had MCE for just over a week now and it's added so much to the flight sim experience.

But I do have an annoying problem when communicating with ATC.

Basically, if there are no other pilots on the channel, then I have the controller's full attention and we can pass messages to each other without a problem.

However, I'm often halfway through a sentence when another pilot butts in and the controller responds to him and ignores me!

Similarly, the controller often starts talking to another pilot when I'm already in mid-sentence talking to him.

Is this normal, please?

(I have traffic set to 30% which is about right for realism taking off and landing at large airports and don't want to have to reduce it.)

Thank you.

FSX ATC doesn't know about your PTT input until you have released the PTT button.

What you can do is keep the PTT button pressed until there is a gap in the ATC chatter and then release it so your PTT input is heard at that point. I do that all the time. I think it requires a change to the PTTTimeout setting in mce.ini to extend the timeout, but I'm not near my FS system right now to verify.

You can also use EditVoicePack to speed up ATC chatter to give you more gaps.

(Apologies if this has been covered.  I did look back over last 10 pages...)

I've had MCE for just over a week now and it's added so much to the flight sim experience.

But I do have an annoying problem when communicating with ATC.

Basically, if there are no other pilots on the channel, then I have the controller's full attention and we can pass messages to each other without a problem.

However, I'm often halfway through a sentence when another pilot butts in and the controller responds to him and ignores me!

Similarly, the controller often starts talking to another pilot when I'm already in mid-sentence talking to him.

Is this normal, please?

(I have traffic set to 30% which is about right for realism taking off and landing at large airports and don't want to have to reduce it.)

Thank you.

Which ATC software are you using?

I use Radar Contact v4 exclusively and have not encountered this issue.

With RC4 its just like RL, wait for a gap in tx, PTT and transmit your message, release PTT and await the reply. I have never been interrupted mid message. 

If you are using MCE/RC4 first officer (William at the moment...) to work the radios, after you have selected the message to be sent, MCE FO will contact RC4 ATC for you and do all the radio work flawlessly!

Sounds like you are using a live ATC setup with amateurs on the network?

Cheers

David

Thanks DickB,

I'll try waiting before releasing the talk button, although it's disappointing that I have to do that.

Thanks Charlie 130,

No, it's the bog standard FSX ATC.

I have got PFE available if this will solve the problem, although I un-installed it because I couldn't figure out how to use it!

Thanks DickB,

I'll try waiting before releasing the talk button, although it's disappointing that I have to do that.

Yes - it's not exactly realistic, but it does work.

The statement that I referred to is PTTTimeout=3000, which needs to be added to the [ATC] section of the active mce.ini file.

Thanks, but are we saying that everyone who uses FSX ATC with MCE has to do this?

If so, that's a major downside and one that MCE keep quiet about!

I doubt many users are even aware of it. It's a tip that's only helpful in really busy ATC situations. The rest of the time it works just fine.

The issue is a limitation of FSX default ATC, not MCE. As has been mentioned, there are alternative ATC products like RC.

Thanks, but I've got RC4 on order, so I'll give that a go first!

Let us know how you get on with RC4.

I have only ever used RC4 from the start and have never had any issues that have not been due to my hardware!

In fact the MCE interface with RC4 has improved since I began using the software! Especially the First Officer control of the radios. B) 

Regards

David

Thanks for your interest.

I'd love to give feedback on RC4 but unfortunately their support is not up to MCE standard!

After 10 days they've still not provided me with a registration key, so I'm about to try to get a refund.

Very disappointing...

I've now got RC4 running with MCE and the effect is fantastic!

One small query:

If I ask my co-pilot to handle the radio, he does so but I can't hear him speaking to ATC.

He speaks to me ok and obeys my commands, but I can only hear the ATC side of the radio conversation.

Is this normal, please, or have I left an option unchecked somewhere?

I've now got RC4 running with MCE and the effect is fantastic!

One small query:

If I ask my co-pilot to handle the radio, he does so but I can't hear him speaking to ATC.

He speaks to me ok and obeys my commands, but I can only hear the ATC side of the radio conversation.

Is this normal, please, or have I left an option unchecked somewhere?

Currently, only FO WIlliam can handle the radio with RC4. FO Lorna soon to follow.

You'll need to download and install William voice pack for RC4.

http://www.multicrewxp.com/William_Voice_Pack_For_RC4.zip

Instructions included