Sign in to follow this  
777simmer

Might Have Solved Fsx Crash/error On Exit

After installing SP1 I started having crashes again upon ESC out of the flight and then EXIT FSX.

FSX would hang forever in some corner, graphically messed up, and would not close.

Only Ctrl Alt Del would close it, but then with an error warning.

It seems that after installing SP1 something has happened that causes the crashes on exit to reappear.

This is a fact, because I had my crashes solved with FSUIPC on the original PMDG777 version, then installed SP1 and had crash on exit again.

Then I reinstalled Win7 and FSX from a PRE SP1 backup image I had taken about 3 weeks ago and everything was fine again. (took 20min, nice ;-)

Then I installed SP1 again....and yep, crash on exit again.

So that is confirmed (on my system)!

As a final attempt, I removed my FSX.cfg, the FSUIPC.dll and the FSUIPC.ini and then reinstalled things.....eh voilla........no crash on exit on my last 3 flights!

I do not know if it will work for you as well, but for those who want to try.....

Here is how you do this (I know, nothing new for most of us):

1) make a note (I took pictures with my mobile) of your FSX settings....they will all be reset to default when you delete the FSX.cfg

2) make notes of your FSUIPC settings (you guessed it....I took pics)

3) make a backup of your FSX.cfg (who knows, you might need to look at all those lines you have added in there again)

4) delete the FSX.cfg

5) make a backup copy of the FSUIPC.ini (it holds all your joystick settings....you might need it again)

6) delete the FSUIPC.dll and FSUIPC.ini

7) start FSX (this creates a new FSX.cfg) and setup things the way you had it before, then close FSX (a flight is not required).

8) now reinstall FSUIPC (this puts a new FSUIPC.dll into your FSX/Modules folder.

(do not reverse the order of 7) and 8)....FSUIPC might need an FSX.cfg to work)

9) start FSX again (this time this will create a new FSUIPC.dll file)

10) start a flight and setup FSUIPC again the way you had it before.

11) test and see if it helped

12) I have not edited my FSX.cfg yet....it is vanilla and the PMDG777 works for me even without the HIGHMEMFIX after all it seems. And I am flying around with the default WIDEVIEWASPECT=FALSE setting....I kinda like it for now.

But if you have the sceleton PMDG777 problem without the HIGHMEMFIX, then put that fix in after point 7)

I know.....a lot of work, but if it takes care of your crashes on exit.....!

Even more work for those who have many joystick settings stored in FSUIPC!

You could try to re-use your old FSUIPC.ini as it holds all those settings.....but I am not a big fan of using old files that could be the cause of the problem in the first place.

If you do want to re-use the old FSUIPC.ini, then I suggest you do at least one or two test flights before that.....

This way if you have no crash on exit....but later, if when you drop the old FSUIPC.ini back into FSX and you have those crashes again...then you know where the problem lies.

good luck.

Rob Robson

My crashes on exit have no negative effect so I will just leave it, glad you seem to have found a fix though.

-Iain Watson-

I did not see any negative impact either yet.

The problem is though, as I understand it, that when FSX closes.....it saves your FSX.cfg file.

And if it cant save that correctly then you could end up with a corrupted FSX.cfg.

And that in turn can lead to all kinds of weird problems.

I really don't want to wait for that.

PMDG advices to exit FSX straight from the flight if you have this bug.

So not ESC from the flight and then exit FSX.

That trick also worked for me.

And I guess it prevent FSX.cfg corruption just the same.

Rob Robson

I'm having that and it triggers my OC'ness and is quite annoying. I have reinstalled FSUIPC in order to make the weatehr radar to work, which it did. I will try what you said with a freshly created FSX.cfg and see how things work. I'm hating my VC performance and I have nothing to lose.

Despite havinvg a crash on exit, not onluly with 777 but lot of other planes, I am happy and have no complaints. Why ? Because considering the volatile nature of FSX as simulator it's always a good practice to exit FSX after each flight or whenever you want to switch airplanes.

So crash on exit for me = FSX working normally.

Guest JustanotherPilot

There is also the ntdll.dll issue (seems to be numerous posts on this) which causes FSX to crash on exit, I've just started to encounter this and yet to resolve it.

After SP1 I had only 1 crash.  I still think you need to shut down slowly.

This for me is 100% effective and when not 100% a crash.

After you are done, don't be in replay mode.  Allow plane to sit for 1/2 minute.  Close all panels slowly, and slowly go to menu to shut down.  It seems if I click to fast on "things" in shutting down I crash on exit, if you do it slowly, I never crash.

Paul Gugliotta

I am not a expert by a long shot but I have noticed that since SP1 upon exit from FSX I got the CTD. I never got this prior to the SP1. I have found that turning off Active Sky Next first before exiting FSX I do not get and CTD. Could this be linked to the Internal Weather radar that has been implimented in this beauty.

Just a thought everyones computers are different and of course this is just a stab in the dark.

Regards

I have found that turning off Active Sky Next first before exiting FSX I do not get and CTD. Could this be linked to the Internal Weather radar that has been implimented in this beauty.

Just a thought everyones computers are different and of course this is just a stab in the dark.

Sadly this doesn't work with my setup (ASN runs on a second computer) Anyway, thanks for the advice.

A few days ago I started getting my CDTs on exit again.

Not on every flight though.

So I did a bunch of test flights and it seems to be that one of my hardware controllers is having a problem. (calibration not staying as it should).

(no need to go into my controller more here as it is partially home made.)

The result is that my procedure of deleting the FSX.cfg and FSUIPC.ini and FSUIPC.dll works,....but only for a short while (untill calibration is incorrect again and I have to start all over.).

I think I have fixed my hardware now because I did not have a CDT on the last 3 flights.

So I just wanted to pass along that you might want to try a few flights without hardware controllers.....just to test.

Rob Robson

I also get crashes on some or most exits. I find that if I "end flight" from the menu and then exit, FSX does not crash. 

I also get crashes on some or most exits. I find that if I "end flight" from the menu and then exit, FSX does not crash.

Yes, if you have CDT on exit, that is the recommended way to do it by PMDG as well. So it is not only a find on your part.....it is confirmed to work! :-)

Rob Robson

I had this issue quite a while ago (Pre 777) when I had Razer Game Booster installed. Uninstalled, haven't had a crash on exit since.

Rick Hobbs

Boeing777_Banner_Pilot.jpg

So it is not only a find on your part.....it is confirmed to work! :-)
Ah, good! Now I just have to dodge the CTD from opening the menu! :lol: