Sign in to follow this  
macwino

Unable To Download Files For Over 2 Weeks Now

For several weeks now when I try and download any file from the Avsim library I get a message that my computer cannot connect to the server. I've tried 3 different computers and 3 different browsers on each computer and I still get the same message. Why am I being blocked?

Thanks,

Robert

Is it the only site in the world you can't get on? I ask because I have the same problem with RealAir. Everything checks out network, ISP, and anything else you can think of. I'd be interested if you find an answer. I've given up, life's too short. :rolleyes:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

For several weeks now when I try and download any file from the Avsim library I get a message that my computer cannot connect to the server. I've tried 3 different computers and 3 different browsers on each computer and I still get the same message. Why am I being blocked?

Thanks,

Robert

Regarding your internet connection settings, are you connecting via proxy server?

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Yes, Ron, this is the only download site where I have this problem. For some reason, I've never been able to download files from the Avsim Library from my Mac using Safari. But Firefox or Chrome would always work. On my Windows machines, I've never had a problem using IE, Chrome or Firefox. Until the last 2 weeks of course.

I know life is too short, but I'd like to get some of your fine repaints, and I'm being blocked. :rolleyes:

Robert

Dave, that's too technical for me. I wouldn't know what I'm using, and that suggests that I'm not using anything fancy like a "proxy server." I'm just using whatever I've used forever and haven't consciously made any changes - and haven't had any problems until about 2 weeks ago.

I Googled "proxy server" and found that if I were using one it would appear in the LAN settings for my Internet Properties on the Windows machines. The "proxy server" option is unchecked, so I assume I'm not using this feature.

Robert

Okay, that IP is not blocked or otherwise prevented from access the library, and the library is working fine. Otherwise you see a few hundred posts like yours in this forum.

Have you upgraded your browser lately?

Do you have library.avsim.net set as a trusted site in your browser?

Are you accepting cookies from library.avsim.net?

I have no idea why you are having a problem with your Mac. We have not changed anything of substance in connectivity settings in years, so something has changed on your system if you were previously able to use it.

Tom, I'll obviously have to explore further on my end. Thanks for checking into this.

As far as the Mac is concerned, the problem was just with Safari, and I posted about it several years ago. At that time I recall being told that this was a known problem and that I should use another browser on the Mac.

Robert

As far as the Mac is concerned, the problem was just with Safari, and I posted about it several years ago. At that time I recall being told that this was a known problem and that I should use another browser on the Mac.

Well, my memory is shot, so thanks for reminding me of that. :Big Grin:

I just wanted to report back that I found a solution to my problem. I tried resetting (disconnecting the power cord) for both my cable modem and my router. This enabled me to again access the Avsim Library with all browsers, except for Safari on the Mac, which is a known problem. So I'm back to normal.

Thanks for the assistance.

Robert

I just wanted to report back that I found a solution to my problem. I tried resetting (disconnecting the power cord) for both my cable modem and my router. This enabled me to again access the Avsim Library with all browsers, except for Safari on the Mac, which is a known problem. So I'm back to normal.

That's interesting. What that may mean is that by doing that, you re-licensed your IP address, which most likely was changed from the previous one. But, since we weren't blocking your IP, I don't know why that would make a difference. Who knows... but, that is a good hint for others that may have similar issues.

As an added comment, I also went through the turning off the router but only for the recommended 5-10 minutes and that had no effect. Turning it off overnight cracked it though. All the top brains in Virgin Media couldn't figure it out, it had to be an AVSIM member! :BigGrin:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.