Sign in to follow this  
philbrown

Engine Failure with failures turned off

As I was descending into Tokyo, I noticed the oil temperature on the right engine start to increase. Eventually it got into the amber zone, triggering an EICAS warning, even though I have random service based failures turned off.

I paused the sim for a few moments to see if this was an issue anyone else had, but couldn't find anything.

By the time I got back to the paused sim, the oil temperature was 277 degrees C and well into the red zone (temperature seemed to increase even while FSX was paused).

I cancelled the failure through the FMC, but am wondering why it occurred.

Is it that although I have service based failures turned off, failures will still occur if I don't treat the plane correctly? If so, why only the right hand engine, and not both? Autothrottle had been on from takeoff to this point, so surely whatever occurred to the right engine would’ve happened to the left engine.

Only difference is that oil quantity is 18 on the left, and 13 on the right.

Is it that although I have service based failures turned off, failures will still occur if I don't treat the plane correctly?

This is usually indicative of someone using panel states that were created/saved prior to installing SP1 with a plane that's running SP1.

Kyle Rodgers

This is usually indicative of someone using panel states that were created/saved prior to installing SP1 with a plane that's running SP1.

Thanks for the reply Kyle.

When I installed the 300ER, I started a fresh flight from the FSX menu, then saved the flight.

I then save the flight each time at destination and then reload it for the next flight, but these were all based on the initial new save after installing the 300ER.

This is also the 5th flight since installing the 300ER, and the first time I've had this issue.

I started a fresh flight from the FSX menu

Right, but did you follow the directions in the posted stickey about deleting the existing panel states prior to installing SP1?  Did the 300ER load with the engines running or did it load with whatever panel state you set as the default load state?

Additionally, occasionally panel states that get saved over and over again end up getting corrupted, which will cause weird issues like this over time.

Kyle Rodgers

i had both my engines fail in a similar manner after an incident involving a spilled beverage and joystick that ended up on the floor.  i dropped about 15,000 feet in 30 seconds including a rate of descent nearing 9000 fpm before i righted things.

immediately after that, the engines started to fail in a similar manner. (i forget the exact details but 2 or 3 of the engine indications were rapidly moving in bad directions..)....

at the time, i assumed it was some kind of damage system, frankly i never really adjusted my failure settings on the plane so they are at whatever the default is, which i assume is mostly off since this was the first failure i ever really saw on the 777. i think i just had the default panel state for that flight's start, anyway it seemed immediately related to my poor flying lol..

cheers

-andy crosby

Hello guys,
I'm uping this because the same thing just happened to me : I decide at the last moment to change the landing runway so that implied a much shorter track mile so the plane dived at nearly -10 000 ft/min. I pulled the yoke to force disengage the AP but it mist have been too late: I started having caution EICAS message about L+R gens not working anymore. I started the APU then investigated: OIL TEMP on both engine was rising in the amber. It then went to the red. I climbed back while leaving the engines idle to try and cool it but it changed absolutely nothing. Then I noticed oil press was in the amber too. oil qty however remained normal.
While turning on final right engine shut down instantly, there it was at 50% N1 and the second after, 0% N1...

Then left engine shut down as well. After landing in the countryside (always nice to visit the countryside) I tried to restart them but that was impossible despite APU running.

The strange thing in all this is that I have failures turned off !!
And in any case that oil temp didn't look realistic at all so I guess it's some kind of bug?? Like the OP, it raised up to 277.

I used the LONG TURN panel state and I bought the plane after SP1 was released so I never used it before SP1...

The OP said he cancelled the failure in the FMC but I couldn't find that...

Yep keep getting this issue and it's definitely not panel states, I've restarted FSX in between and loaded up cold and dark and the used the default panel state. Product is not usuable at this point.

Wait can we save flights in midair inside FSX??

Yes - through the default FSX save feature. I know this was mentioned in the NGX tutorial. Can't remember if the 777 mentioned it.

Kyle Rodgers

I have submitted a ticket a few months ago about similar problem. It all starts with descending with a crazy rate during approach, then engine starts to fail one by one. There is actually an youtube video showing it. PMDG told me it may be because of my ASUS motherboard clock issue.

What I do now is to save my flight before descend, if it happens, I reload the flight, 8 times out of 10 it solve the issue. You can also try not to use VNAV descend

Danny F

Yes - through the default FSX save feature. I know this was mentioned in the NGX tutorial. Can't remember if the 777 mentioned it.

but if i do load the saved flight do i have to load the Whole Flightplan wont it continue the same flightplan?

everything will be the same. PMDG T7 saves the panel state whenever you save a flight, and load it automatically when you load the save flight.

Danny F

Ok tho is happening to me also but my oil temp is low and cant start the engine. Its annoying. So im gonna do what some of you said. Ill delete any panel states and any saved flights. This also happened with the ngx. I sent a ticket and Paul from pmdg told me to check if I had any mixture axis assigned to any key and I didnt have anything assigned. He also tild me to check if failures were on but they weren't. If I cant get it fixed like one of you said my pmdg products will be unusable

Does this engine failure happen only after unrealistically steep descents, such as 10,000 ft per minute?  Also, would such a steep descent result in major engine issues in the real world? 

Regarding failures occurring with failures turned off, I learned the hard way when first using this aircraft that at least two failures occur anyway, namely, brake overheating and, if brakes are not allowed to cool, tire failure.  So I'm wondering if these engine failures -- perhaps involving serious abuse of the engines -- are among other such built-in failures?

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

I am having a somewhat similar issue. I start both eninges and they keep shuttinging down and restarting. I have a fresh install of the most recent Service Pack and a legal copy any ideas?