Sign in to follow this  
MarioB

RealAir B60 Duke or Majestic Q400, your opinions

I am seeking advice reagrding these two add-ons.

Here is a few pointers regarding my sim settings and preferences:

• I currently have the A2A Cherokee 180 on my P3D 2.3 sim, needless to say that I am used to detailed simulation aircraft
  • In real life, I have flown C172N's and have completed my ground school.
  • After 6 years of FSX I jumped to P3D. I prefer a native P3D installer and have support directly from the vendor.
  • Everything on my current sim is P3D v.2 ready

Since the Q400 just released an installer for P3D, this would be my obvious choice. The B60's installation solutions provided in this P3D forum seem simple enough and the aircraft is quite appealing. My style of flying is irrelevant here; I am simply ready for a more complex aircraft. These two add-ons seem the best choices out there.

I just thought it would be great to get comments from simmers who have experienced these add-ons in P3D.

Thank you kindly,

Mario

I have both in P3Dv2, although have yet to load up the Q400 in v2.3 (I did a complete re-install of V2.3 after v2.2).

The Duke is an FSX installer, but you can install into P3Dv2.x using the migration tool.  At least in my experience, and maybe this has been resolved by others.  the gauge that creates the gear-down/up and the flap noises is not licensed for P3D and will not work, so silent gear and flaps.  With that all said, the gear-down / up sequence shows a cool little "bump" on the VC view, which I really like.  The Duke also displays some really neat effects such as wavering needles on gauges with engine vibrations, and some other cool and unique animations that really help with immersion.  Coupled with the Flight One GTN products and it's really cool...

The Q400 is of the PMDG / A2A standard and will take some learning.  It's a complex bird displaying all of it's complexities that you have to master....  and is the most realistic simulation you will ever see of a turbo-prop. 

Summarizing"  The Duke is a GA aircraft, piston engine, has some cool animations.  If you're into C172's (I have several hundred hours in them) then the Duke is several stages up the ladder from where you are (after a complex single and a lighter twin).

The Q400 is not GA,  it's an airliner, and about as good as it gets.  Also a turbo-prop so cruises at much faster speeds.  If you want to fly airliners and be realistic (a/la PMDG), this is for you.  However, it is (compared to the C172) thousands of hours and many stages up many ladders from where you are in real-life....

Both are excellent, but both appeal to different markets....

Hope this helps, good luck with your private license-  feel free to PM me if you have any questions (although you should be talking to your CFI first :)  ).

Bruce.

I'm currently getting to grips with the Q400 and, as has been said, it is a genuine high quality aircraft. I don't have any PMDG products but quality wise it's up there on a par with A2A and any of the DCS modules (different sim, same high quality standard).

On the flip side, I've never seen a bad word said about the Duke, and will probably acquire it if Realair ever get round to a P3D version (or I get bored of the P3D native aircraft).

The more important question is what sort of flying do you want to do? They are both several steps up from your current aircraft, but one is a baby tube liner and the other is the bigger end of light GA. If flown in their intended role, the Q400 will have you flying sectors to major and regional airports, the Duke will have you pootling between much smaller airports and GA fields. Which do you want to do?

I have the RealAir B60 Duke. If you install it with the latest version of the EMT, everything works.

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

I have the RealAir B60 Duke. If you install it with the latest version of the EMT, everything works.

Is that the V2 Duke? My understanding was that the issue related to a gauge that was specific to V2.

I'm currently getting to grips with the Q400 and, as has been said, it is a genuine high quality aircraft. I don't have any PMDG products but quality wise it's up there on a par with A2A and any of the DCS modules (different sim, same high quality standard).

On the flip side, I've never seen a bad word said about the Duke, and will probably acquire it if Realair ever get round to a P3D version (or I get bored of the P3D native aircraft).

The more important question is what sort of flying do you want to do? They are both several steps up from your current aircraft, but one is a baby tube liner and the other is the bigger end of light GA. If flown in their intended role, the Q400 will have you flying sectors to major and regional airports, the Duke will have you pootling between much smaller airports and GA fields. Which do you want to do?

The Q400 is way above my current knowledge, while the B60 is a heavy twin and may be more manageable. Bruce mentioned the Milviz Baron, which is a light twin. Learning is not a problem; I love this hobby. But it's a good idea to keep the simulation as real as possible.

The whole idea is to get opinions about the best P3D multi-engine aircraft. At the flight school where I took my ground courses, you would step up from a C172 to a Piper Seneca. On the restricted market of quality P3D ME addons it's quite different. So I rely on other, more experienced simmers to talk about their favorite aircraft.

I must admit, I am very anxious to get to the airliners (I work at CYYC Calgary) but do enjoy the challenges of GA.

This is indeed a fabulous looking aircraft. Happy that it works with the latest EMT. Does it absolutely require the developer's edition?

The Q400 is way above my current knowledge, while the B60 is a heavy twin and may be more manageable. Bruce mentioned the Milviz Baron, which is a light twin. Learning is not a problem; I love this hobby. But it's a good idea to keep the simulation as real as possible.

The whole idea is to get opinions about the best P3D multi-engine aircraft. At the flight school where I took my ground courses, you would step up from a C172 to a Piper Seneca. On the restricted market of quality P3D ME addons it's quite different. So I rely on other, more experienced simmers to talk about their favorite aircraft.

I must admit, I am very anxious to get to the airliners (I work at CYYC Calgary) but do enjoy the challenges of GA.

Having just made the leap from single engine GA to the Q400, I would say that with the use of Airline2Sim videos and FS2Crew, the Q400 isn't an unmanageable step up.

I guess the nub of what I'm trying to say is that they are both awesome aircraft and easily on par with the best (if not THE best) in their respective niches, to choose between them on the basis of what will be very marginal quality differences is not necessarily going to lead to a sensible outcome.

If your heart is set on airline flying, get the Q400 and the Airline2Sim videos, possibly FS2Crew as well, and treat it as a project, you won't be disappointed just don't expect to be proficient in a week... Otherwise get the B60.

Having just made the leap from single engine GA to the Q400, I would say that with the use of Airline2Sim videos and FS2Crew, the Q400 isn't an unmanageable step up.

I guess the nub of what I'm trying to say is that they are both awesome aircraft and easily on par with the best (if not THE best) in their respective niches, to choose between them on the basis of what will be very marginal quality differences is not necessarily going to lead to a sensible outcome.

If your heart is set on airline flying, get the Q400 and the Airline2Sim videos, possibly FS2Crew as well, and treat it as a project, you won't be disappointed just don't expect to be proficient in a week... Otherwise get the B60

Great insights flying penguin, thanks!

Is that the V2 Duke? My understanding was that the issue related to a gauge that was specific to V2.

Hi. Yes it is the V2 Duke.  Check this link:

http://board.flightsim.ee/discussion/369/resolved-realair-duke-v2

My system specs: Intel i9-10850@3.6 - 5.2 GHz, NVIDIA GeForce RTX 3080, 32GB  DDR4  RAMNoctua NH-D15 CPU Cooler,1TB Seagate SSD, 4TB Seagate HD, Windows 10, Asus 32 inch monitor, Saitek Yoke, Throttle Quadrant, Rudder Pedals and Trim Wheel     Sims: MSFS2020      Preferred Aircraft  Black Square Bonanza, and Baron, A2A Comanche, PMDG DC-6, Red Wing L1049 

Do yourself a favor and just get both. I have both and they are great but just really can't compete against eachother since they are so different. V2 Duke if you want to jump in and fly with amazing fidelity or the Q400 if you like to learn  systems. Both have a lot to offer

To this day since it was released no other aircraft like the Q400 gives me that rush when you spool up the engines and start going down the runway. The first time you do you're hooked. 

The best aircraft I ever own are the RealAir Turbine DUKE (Turbine) and the DUKE B60 (piston). I have them for quite a while and put over 350 real hours between the 2 of them so far. Their Physics are incredible good and accurate. They respond to weight issues, weather conditions, with almost 100% level of accuracy. I never run them in FSX. I started them in P3D v1.4 back then with the help of the ESTONIA MIGRATION TOOL and they continue running today in my P3D v2.3. If you want a high standard airplane, undoubtedly the DUKE's are the Best!

My Hat off to the RealAIr Simulation people.

George

Might be worth waiting for a native P3D installer for the Turbine Duke. On their website...

Wednesday 03 September 2014

We are very excited to announce that we are currently developing Version 2 of our award winning Beechcraft Turbine Duke, for both FSX and Prepar3D V2.

I cant tell you anything about the Duke, since I dont have it (yet), but I'm very pleased with the Q400. I'm running the 1.011 on P3D 2.3 and it works great. I did have some issues after the first install, but after writing Majestic it was solved in a day. I'm very happy with the support I received from Majestic.

Cheers!

Maarten

I finally opted for the Q400 which has a native 2.3 installer. But I did follow the recommendations of Bruce K. who sent me a PM; I acquired the Milviz Baron 55. A fabulous aircraft which will give me a good multiengine introduction before tackling the Q400.

I used to like the Carenado products - mainly for their good looks. Unfortunately, I have been spoiled with vendors that provide top notch realism like A2A, PMDG, now Milviz and Majestic. These companies forcus on a few products only, but give you a total immersion experience with complete reference manuals.

Thanks for all your comments! I have enough to keep busy for quite some time...