Sign in to follow this  
waleed

Latest update lost my SSD boot drive

I updated w8.1 last night, and when I restarted the pc, it gave me a Reboot and Select proper Boot device prompt.

I went into my bios, and it does not show the SSD (only drive on this pc), and only shows the dvd drive.

I looked up info online, and it seems MSFT messed up August's updates, and are investigating the issue.

Problem is that my issue is not mentioned(?), at least as far as I can understand from their messages.

Tried to repair with the DVD, but it could not find the SSD.

Is it an update fiasco, or is it just a coincidence? I unplugged, replugged the ssd to no avail, and am wondering if my SSD just happened to die right when I restarted the pc.

Any help or advice would be appreciated.

P.S. Secondary pc with one Patriot 240 gb SSD for Aivalsoft, PFPX.

Waleed N

Have you gone into the BIOS and reset it to Optimized Defaults or default? You may have to reinsert your Windows 8 DVD and it should load and give you the option to do a system restore if the resetting to defaults does not work. You may also have to reset the CMOS on your motherboard.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, thanks for the help.

Did as you advised but to no avail, and all I get with the dvd repair attempt is a prompt that the drive Windows is installed on is locked.

It requests I unlock the drive and try again.

Really confusing.

Waleed N

It requests I unlock the drive and try again.

Somehow you clicked on a setting and locked your SSD. It can be done but you have to initiate the lockup and enter a password so someone can't get into your computer without your approval. Reading on the Internet this is a mess. My only suggestion if you haven't tried yet is to do a Google search for ssd security locked or ssd locked and see if you can find a solution.  I did find the following link that might be of help - http://www.intel.com/support/ssdc/hpssd/sb/CS-034543.htm. Good luck in getting it fixed.

Best regards,

Jim Young | AVSIM Online! - Simming's Premier Resource!

Member, AVSIM Board of Directors - Serving AVSIM since 2001

Submit News to AVSIM
Important other links: Basic FSX Configuration Guide | AVSIM CTD Guide | AVSIM Prepar3D Guide | Help with AVSIM Site | Signature Rules | Screen Shot Rule | AVSIM Terms of Service (ToS)

I7 8086K  5.0GHz | GTX 1080 TI OC Edition | Dell 34" and 24" Monitors | ASUS Maximus X Hero MB Z370 | Samsung M.2 NVMe 500GB and 1TB | Samsung SSD 500GB x2 | Toshiba HDD 1TB | WDC HDD 1TB | Corsair H115i Pro | 16GB DDR4 3600C17 | Windows 10 

Jim, I am afraid that is not the case.

I installed the August updates (w8.1), and as required rebooted the system.

It is then that the ssd went MIA.

I have been hunting all possible avenues (limited knowledge) but have so far failed to get anywhere with it.

I even tried updated firmware, bios, external USB connection to just simply reformat and start all over to no avail.

I am re-installing w8 on an extra 750gb (green) sadly, and keeping the ssd on the side in case I find a solution down the road.

Funny how we get "hooked" to products sometimes lol.

I prefer to fly with PFPX, and EFB for the heavies, and that is why I am using a spare hd for now.

Waleed N

Big LOL update follows:

I cannot register w8 as it is an upgrade dvd, and so is the w7 dvd I have.

I contacted MSFT in Dubai, and they transferred me to a help center to try and resolve my issue (Always helpful at this center).

I will receive an email to download w7 home premium and instal it with an activation key from my laptop (call center will help me with a code once "pirate protection" kicks in), and after that, I can do the upgrade to w8.

All in all, the whole thing sucks, but I believe the best thing here is to make the Infamous lemonade drink and move on until I find a solution to my ssd issue.

Waleed N