Sign in to follow this  
raymar

Maybe a little more news on Dovetail Games's plans for FSX . . . .

We have been lead down this road a few times recently, but maybe this international print/digital magazine article will shed a little more light on the subject. Hence the cautious title.

I had this News Flash from Key Publishing in my inbox this morning announcing a feature interview to be available later this week:

EXCLUSIVE INTERVIEW with Dovetail Games who recently acquired a global licensing deal for Microsoft Flight Simulator.

"Read our EXCLUSIVE interview with Dovetail Games – the new ‘Pilot in Command’ of Microsoft’s Flight Simulator franchise, in the new issue of PC Pilot.

In this fascinating and detailed interview, we learn about the company's ethos, how they view flight simulation and flight simmers in general, what their approach will be to the flight sim market, their views on the current FSX third-party industry and much more besides. So look out for this and more in the new and exciting September/October edition of PC Pilot."

Unquote

It should be available on Thursday, August 21, 2014.

Let the games begin.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

I read through it once and while it was interesting it really didn't give us any more insight into what they are doing with FS they did address some of the concerns people had with how Train Sim is handled and how they feel about 3rd party developers.  But overall its nothing earth shattering.  People who are nervous about it will continue to be nervous about it.  Those who are optimistic will remain so and I think most people will overall just take the wait and see approach.

PC Pilot magazine arrived here yesterday, and I agree, there's nothing of any great significance to pass on.

Surely not everybody was kung fu fighting.

https://rationalwiki.org

...there's nothing of any great significance to pass on.

That seems to be consistent with the story line from the beginning. Thanks for passing along the info.

This may be the last time I visit a "Dovetail FSX Steam Version" thread. I'm glad it will bring new people to the sim community, but it seems most people currently in the community are moving forward in other directions.

That's good news for everyone, I say!

I agree with the posts above. This looks like a non-news issue. I think Key Publishing may have gone a little overboard in marketing this very small article. Back to flying.

Regards,

Ray

When Pigs Fly . Ray Marshall .

Is this going to eventually amount to anything or will it just be a repackage of FSX?

Initially just a repackage FSX with a few minor bugfixes and getting rid of the gamespy and replacing it with steam.

Are you guys ready to be buzzed by kiddies in F-18's again....ahhh the god ole days. TBH just about all the people I fly with at Easternhops weren't too sad to see gamespy go anyways. We use FSOpen these days most of the kiddies grew tired of FSX long ago and moved on to the new game of the month....

We are in contact with DoveTail and will publish what we have, when we have it. Their stated position to us right now is that there is no news beyond that of the initial announcement regarding the License deal. However, I can also state that we have had a number of DoveTail members join our community since the release of the license story, presumably to stay in touch and abreast of our interests and concerns. When the time is right we hope to have an in-depth interview.

There has been so much news & debate about no news.....

No news, as thery say, is good news, so lets wait & talk about no news ad infinitum yet again.

It can only be good news.

I think that is the most exciting news ever!  :LMAO::p0504::t4011:

(yup, I AM bored! )

Robin

"Onward & Upward" ...
To the Stars, & Beyond... 

Hmmm all very interesting, well with all the wonderful advancements we've had with P3D in the last year or so, hopefully whatever Dovetail is working on will only add to our hobby!

All i can comment on is Train Simulator.  Dovetail offer the improved Engine (no pun intended) for free with each new release...BUT...it doesn't appear to change much.

Ian R Tyldesley

All i can comment on is Train Simulator.  Dovetail offer the improved Engine (no pun intended) for free with each new release...BUT...it doesn't appear to change much.

Interesting, I would love to hear what more trainsimmers have to say about what the transition to Dovetail did and didn't offer in the way of changes.

I have been a FS enthusiast since the original FS Microsoft release and have enjoyed them all including the so called faults. I started with trainsim when it was first released by microsoft, and though there were many bugs, it was ok and did get better with updates. Then microsoft pulled out and eventually it went to Steam whereupon it became a bloated overpriced piece of junk.  Rail sim kept releasing a fair few extras as downloads at a hefty cost, and everyone was buggy, as if they did no beta testing. Then they introduced trainsim 2013, which you had to have or it would not work with the new dlc's and again for 2014 another update which again costs money otherwise your new dlc's will not work. Say goodbye to what was a quite cheap sim to a new one which will slow your computer down and cost you lots in add-ons.

Say goodbye to what was a quite cheap sim to a new one which will slow your computer down and cost you lots in add-ons.

Interesting, though counter to my experience.  I purchased TS2012 and have upgraded each year with the new release.  The add-ons seem to work regardless of the engine.  I am not enthusiastic about the future of FS with this company.

Ian R Tyldesley

Say goodbye to what was a quite cheap sim to a new one which will slow your computer down and cost you lots in add-ons.

Wait... isn't that what FSX is already?

:lol: