Sign in to follow this  
mcbellette

Pilatus PC12 (In development)

Hi all, just wondering if anyone knows if the PC12 being developed by Carenado is the new NG model or the previous model?

The latest photos show it with the "Biglets" that were a feature on the old PC-12/45. So you are looking at, possibly an early 2000s aircraft with the old avionics. Regardless however, the raked wingtip is a feature of the PC-12/47, and does not necessarily mean it is an NG variant. The early development shots they released showed the newer raked winglet, but showed no other features to tell between a -47 or 47E(NG). 

The latest photos show it with the "Biglets" that were a feature on the old PC-12/45. So you are looking at, possibly an early 2000s aircraft with the old avionics. Regardless however, the raked wingtip is a feature of the PC-12/47, and does not necessarily mean it is an NG variant. The early development shots they released showed the newer raked winglet, but showed no other features to tell between a -47 or 47E(NG). 

You are right, thats wierd... the glass cockpit is probably to much of a challenge.

I am just learning the RXP GNS 530 and am using direct to then hand-flying the landings. I have just joined Aviator90's Instrument Flying course so please excuse my ignorance about these things.

Coming from almost only flying WW2 stuff like Classics Hangar, A2A etc I was surprised to see that this is a hands off landing and taxi shown in the video below.

Is this something we will be able to do with the new Carenado Pc-12 using the 530 as a pop-up?

I am just learning the RXP GNS 530 and am using direct to then hand-flying the landings. I have just joined Aviator90's Instrument Flying course so please excuse my ignorance about these things.

Coming from almost only flying WW2 stuff like Classics Hangar, A2A etc I was surprised to see that this is a hands off landing and taxi shown in the video below.

Is this something we will be able to do with the new Carenado Pc-12 using the 530 as a pop-up?

I'm not sure what you mean by "hands off landing and taxi", but the pilot was clearly holding the yoke with his left hand during the landing in the above video.   There is no autolanding capability in the PC12.

I watched it properly and yes his hand is on the yoke, sorry please disregard post.

I was surprised he has 4 mfd/pfd displays rather than 3.

Shouldn't do 3 things at once and should sometimes turn off my iphone :)

I watched it properly and yes his hand is on the yoke, sorry please disregard post.

I was surprised he has 4 mfd/pfd displays rather than 3.

Shouldn't do 3 things at once and should sometimes turn off my iphone :)

Ha ha, there certainly were parts at the end of the video where his head (and the camera angle) did block sight of his hand on the yoke. :smile:        Yes, I believe the 4 screens come with the NG model.

Have a good weekend.

Seen the latest screenshots of the PC-12 in development and I have to say I am disappointed it isn't the NG...

Seen the latest screenshots of the PC-12 in development and I have to say I am disappointed it isn't the NG...

Totally agree, at least a /47 (non NG). That would have kept the option for 3rd party GPS integration, but allowed for a more modern aircraft. The /45 is a dog by all accounts. Underpowered, bad climb performance and a lower MTOW that later models. 

Totally agree, at least a /47 (non NG). That would have kept the option for 3rd party GPS integration, but allowed for a more modern aircraft. The /45 is a dog by all accounts. Underpowered, bad climb performance and a lower MTOW that later models.

Welllll, at least there's a small hope that it might be close to functional.  I see so many things in it that worry me.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

I flew with a real world PC12 crew for a week, back in 2009 in Idaho, while on a student exchange trip.

I was too young to know a lot about the operation of the aircraft back then, but one thing that sticks like glue in my memory of perhaps 50 take off and landings that week is :-

1. Take-off:  Power Lever full forward, FADEC gives 44.4 on the torque gauge. You can keep this full power on for 5 minutes, then you must reduce to :-
  2. 36 on the torque meter for the rest of the climb.  (Eventually you will then be governed by temps, at a max of 720 I believe.

So for me, the bit that Carenado have to get right on this aircraft, is the power delivery and torque settings.   It's an aircraft designed to be simple to operate (1 pilot certification).     If Carenado's model over-torques and goes in to the 'red' when the power lever is pushed full forward, (or gives a torque any higher than 44.4), it will sadly mean a case of just another set of Carenado "flying textures".

Such as what, Gregg?

All the things that haven't worked in recent past releases as well as new avionics they haven't done before.  Some of it is rather serious for an airplane like this.  Worried that things like autopilot IAS won't work, that the GNS530 interlock will be screwed up (like it is on the Malibu), that the Avidyne (looks like an Avidyne) will be best left untouched...nice to look at...just don't use it.  Worried that the DH alert won't work.

In terms of just simple completeness, there's the usual things...

That version of their transponder, you can't even switch to standby, the working of their pressurization knobs are always flaky, most times you can't do an annunciator test unless you turn avionics on. Lately their sounds have been awful, sending people to third parties to get sounds.  Their engine temperatures never go to the red, doesn't matter what you do to them.  They have icing switches but will they work?...even put a load on amps?  (They never put icing effects on any of their planes...why not? since they are brilliant at graphics).

On the positive side, it's nice to see an RMI (if it works). 

As a company, they are *trying* to advance like other companies, but their systems are dragging them backward.  They still can't do more than a basic six-pack airplane well while A2A and Milviz are moving forward, setting the bar higher and higher.  I have no doubt that it will look like a PC12 and fly brilliantly.  I have my doubts if it will function like one at all.  As with all Carenado systems aircraft, I'll wait to read the complaints.

Gregg

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM