Sign in to follow this  
vc10man

UK subscribers Channel 4

Early heads-up to watch UK's Channel Four documentary called Worst Place To Be A Pilot---previews looked good.

Ooh I forgot about this, love all that bush flying stuff! Must remember to Sky+ it as I don't get on with 4OD

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

It actually features pilots landing in that place in Nepal or is it Bhutan, as well.

The show does look promising, unfortunately it probably won't be shown here in Australia.

I follow a blog of a pilot who will be featured in that series, check out his blog here. He's done some really great flying videos aswell, you can see them here.

Might be available to see online, perhaps? Can always make a recording and send.

Thank God for geo(un)blocking tools. Will keep an eye open for it to be shown on 4oD.

Did anybody watch that absolutely riveting documentary?

I take my hat off for the skill, daring-do, and bravery those pilots showed. They earn my utmost respect. No glide slopes, or auto-lands here.

I strongly urge if you get a chance, watch it. On next week too.

Oh poo I forgot, hopefully there's a repeat I can Sky+

ckyliu, proud supporter of ViaIntercity.com. i5 12400F, 32GB, GTX980, more in "About me" on my profile. 

support1.jpg

Excellent program, there are certainly some large spherical objects in the pants of the Pilots!

One of those "landing strips" had an incline greater than the ski jump at the winter olympics

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Might be available to see online, perhaps? Can always make a recording and send.

Thanks for the offer, but I will probably be able to pick it up on DVD from the library.

For me the most interesting aspect, apart from the flying itself, were the personal backgrounds of some of these young 'pilots'. Along with the spirit of adventure was the fact that the majority had never had flying lessons before. A six week course and then thrown in at the deep end!

Many that qualify then seek to build up their flying hours in the hope that they could get flying positions with regional airlines. With the number of unemployed pilots in Europe, with no chance of flying commercial passenger aircraft, they should live for the moment and move on into other fields when that time comes.

Here in the Channel Islands I use the Tri-lander ( now on its way out of service). There are young pilots here with Aurigny, building up their hours while employed on a limited time basis, but they are open minded as to whether they can move on to a bigger regional airline.

As to whether one will be cannibalised, upon landing, there is more chance now to be taken out by terrorists than being served as the main course!

Looking forward to the next episode.

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.

I thought they all had their licenses but couldn't get any work and so they were going to Susi AIr as they were always hiring. having seen some of the landing strips and the dining habit's of some of the locals I can fully understand why :)

Brian Thomas

WW1618.png

Nevertheless, still a documentary irrespective of the fact that these young just licensed pilots were seeking to kick-start their careers with Susi Air, that showed airmanship skills of the highest order, e.g that New Zealander pilot testing out new landing strips, it was worthy of full respect and utmost admiration for what they do.

I always thought that landing at Luka(???) that airport high up in the Himalayas was daunting at its best, but this documentary revealed something else.

A six-week all inclusive course from square one, for those accepted by Susi Air with no previous flying experience. Thereafter they are mentored.

Perhaps Tom Allensworth should sponsor certain elements that write crass on these BBs, to a life of flying with Susi Air, as that would encourage sense and sensibility in their writing tone!

Regards

Sauviat

Martin Parr

Retired professional yacht skipper for vessels up to 46m

System: Omen 30L GT13-0054na Gaming PC; Windows 10 Home  64-bit OS; Intel Core i9-10900K CPU @ 3.7GHz; RAM 32GB; Samsung S34J55x Monitor 3440x1440 @75 Hz Resolution; NVIDIA GeForce RTX 2080 Ti. MSFS P/D; TM Pendular Rudder Pedals, TM Warthog Hortas Throttle/Joystick Combo.