Sign in to follow this  
Demious

P3D2.3 and ASN Huge FPS drop

From what I understand was the performance improvement for P3D2.3 in the first place aimed at better performance with clouds(weather engine) and from what I read would the ASN update also improve performance, so I'm a little confused to see that when I turned on ASN with the same settings as in P3D2.2(just 2 cloud layers, draw distance of 80) my FPS dropped by more than 20FPS, while in 2.2 that was only a drop of 10FPS with comparable weather (just cloudy, no rain, no storm).

Wasnt the whole idea behind the updates to be able to use more cloud layers, a better draw distance and be able to turn cloud shadows on? I've got 10-14FPS left, while in 2.2 I still could count on 20-25FPS.

I also notice that when I set my cloud draw distance to 80 in ASN, it pushes my cloud draw distance in P3D back to 70 and with cloud draw distance 70 in ASN, the cloud draw distance in P3D is pushed back to 60.

Anyone who can shed some light on this?

Sorry for the multiple posts, server kept disconnecting... :(

Cheers!

Maarten

Hehe, not my finger, but the Avsim server kept disconnecting while posting. :P

I also wrote it on the ASN forum, but since there is more response on this forum, I also posted it here.

I saw that others dont have problems with it, that's why I dont understand what's happening, I had everything working just fine after 2.3 install, nice FPS from 30-35 and with less impact from ASN it would be perfect... Didnt expect to see what's happening now.

Cheers!

Maarten

Update is released, you can download it from the Hifi forums.

Cheers!

Maarten

I found the problem!

I had saved the 'Clears All Weather'-option for my default flight, but now I noticed it wasnt saved properly and every time I saved it P3D still started up with 'User Defined Weather' set.

Had to save multiple times before the setting indeed was properly saved and now I get 25-30FPS, so thats very nice! :D

Cheers!

Maarten

I found the problem!

I had saved the 'Clears All Weather'-option for my default flight, but now I noticed it wasnt saved properly and every time I saved it P3D still started up with 'User Defined Weather' set.

Had to save multiple times before the setting indeed was properly saved and now I get 25-30FPS, so thats very nice! :D

Maarten - I can't tell you how much it is appreciated when someone posts a problem AND let's us know they resolved it! As a beta tester for ASN, I spent a lot of time chasing ghosts because a poster never let us know the problem was HIS not OURS. 

Again, thank you!

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

You're most welcome and thank you for the appreciation. :)

Those forums are for problems ánd solutions, I think it's a small effort to finish the story with the solution (if possible of course), so it might help others. Would be quite selfish to find the solution and dont share it, while I do share the problem...

Cheers!

Maarten

I don't understand....don't you want User Defined Weather?  That is how ASN controls such weather...again, I don't understand how this was a problem for low FPS generation??!!

Please explain, Demious, and thanks.

If ASN is running, it will IGNORE any settings in P3D.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I thought it directly took control of the weather so it didn't matter what was set because it was overridden anyways?

Confused

I have the same problem of saving All Clear on the weather and clouds just there when sim had started. I am wondering if there is a save file Prepar3d is using once sim begins and is there a way to clear this saved Prepar3d file?

Thanks for bringing that particular point up

Steve

As mentioned it's completely irrelevant what the Weather menu says in FSX/P3D, if ASN is running and the AS-Connect module is installed and working properly (i.e. you get no error warnings from ASN) then ASN has full control over the weather. Saving a different weather setting with a default flight has no influence over ASN's ability to control the weather. The only thing you may see is the weather morphing from what was saved with the default flight, to what ASN is injecting after loading it, but only if you start ASN after the sim has already loaded to a flight. You should be starting ASN first anyway to avoid that scenario.

Hifi Beta Tester.

Cheers, Andy.