Sign in to follow this  
cckeating

First helicopter(s)?

Hi guys, thinking about getting a payware heli (or two :) ). Any thoughts on a good first purchase?

Can you guys give recommendations on 1) best "training" helicopter - challenging but I would be learning the principles with stability augmentation or other "aids", and 2) best heli with automation and instrumentation like a BK117 or similar?

Thanks so much.

I'd definitely recommend Dreamfoil's Bell 407, where it's possible to adjust the stability settings to make it easier to fly. It also has a suite of avionics, autopilot, auto stability, a GPS (Update due shortly for 10.30). It is also such a fun and great heli to fly and looks and performs great. I couldn't recommend it enough :-)

Of course, I'd also recommend the Bell 206, which although is a little old now, is also quite challenging to fly, but might not be the best for beginners. 

I originally learned on Alabeo's R66, which has a stability mode (red button on the collective). It's real easy to fly with the stability enabled, but turn it off, and it's another beast entirely. 

BK17 is pretty stable good helo, has autopilot even

I have the AS35 - super twitchy .... Tough for me to fly and manipulate radios at the same time.

I hear their Bell 407 is better. The model was done by Milviz (they had one for FSX)

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the newer helicopters, but I think the BK-117 is a great starting point, if you want to dive right in without a simplified flight mode available. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to stay out of that mode. 

:P

For someone new to helicopters, I think a medium-weight model like the BK-117 is easier to learn on. The added mass makes it feel a bit less twitchy than some of the more lightweight helicopters. You don't have to learn all the more advanced controls unless you want to. The BK-117 flies like a basic helicopter if you start it in "engines running" mode in X-Plane.

X-Plane and Microsoft Flight Simulator on Windows 10 
i7 6700 4.0 GHz, 32 GB RAM, GTX 1660 ti, 1920x1200 monitor

Hello ccKeating,You have come to the right place for Rotorcraft,XPlane has some outstanding models with great Flight Characteristics.

Along with the above mentioned "Dreamfoil Creations Bell 407 let me suggest a new bird that is still in beta....

Bell 412 Trident,Fantastic Model,Great Flight Dynamics,Reasonable price and she will only get better!

http://store01.prostores.com/servlet/x-planestore/Detail?no=564

3v2fs.jpg

100%75%50%d8a34be0e82d98b5a45ff4336cd0dddc

0D8701AB-1210-4FF8-BD6C-309792740F81.gif

Patrick

I would vote for the Bell 407. Great bird for the learner to make progress with.

I'd definitely recommend Dreamfoil's Bell 407, where it's possible to adjust the stability settings to make it easier to fly. It also has a suite of avionics, autopilot, auto stability, a GPS (Update due shortly for 10.30). It is also such a fun and great heli to fly and looks and performs great. I couldn't recommend it enough :-)

+1

I also can recommend Dreamfoils R22 Beta II, which I flew (myself) in real life some weeks ago - but of course not start and landing (too dangerous with a helo newbie :lol:).

My sceneries (excerpt): LPMA Madeira, LGSR Santorini, the city of Fürth (Germany), ...

Disclaimer: I haven't tried the newer helicopters, but I think the BK-117 is a great starting point, if you want to dive right in without a simplified flight mode available. I'm not sure I'd trust myself to stay out of that mode. 

:P

For someone new to helicopters, I think a medium-weight model like the BK-117 is easier to learn on. The added mass makes it feel a bit less twitchy than some of the more lightweight helicopters. You don't have to learn all the more advanced controls unless you want to. The BK-117 flies like a basic helicopter if you start it in "engines running" mode in X-Plane.

+1

BK-117 is a great heli for XP10.

Thanks all, I got the Bell 407 - what an outstanding product .. the feeling of flight is amazing! Now I have you guys to blame for me 1)not flying fixed wing anymore and 2) buying more helicopters!

Thanks again - now off to buy the BK117 ;)  maybe even dusting off my old copy of Black Shark ;)

Thanks all, I got the Bell 407 - what an outstanding product .. the feeling of flight is amazing! Now I have you guys to blame for me 1)not flying fixed wing anymore and 2) buying more helicopters!

Welcome to the dark side  :lol: , I find it hard going back to fixed-wing now. Too much fun