Sign in to follow this  
cthiggin2

Are these "tweaks" still useful in Prepar3D - v2.3?

Hi folks,

Running 2.3 very well - haven't touched the config file.

Just wanted to know if the below "tweaks" are useful with the new 2.3 version?

Text_Scroll=1

HIGHMENFIX=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

SHADER_CACHE_VERSION=1

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_TREES_PER_CELL=4500

TERRAIN_MAX_AUTOGEN_BUILDINGS_PER_CELL=3000

SWAP_WAIT_TIMEOUT=10

[bUFFERPOOLS]

[JOBSCHEDULER]

Thanks so much,

Tom

personally, I left my .CFG in 2.3 the way it is....didn't touch it at all only out of principle of a tweak-less sim! lol

At times I will use the affinity tweak but that's just so I don't have to control my cores through my task manager. Id rather it be done through the .cfg

Everything else I've left out.

George Kyriazis | www.georgekonline.com

ELB729.png

Don't use them myself. Some, like HIGHMEMFIX are built in now. Default cfg should do just fine.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

It's a hard habit to break...but boy does it feel good not to have to muck around in there!

It's a hard habit to break...but boy does it feel good not to have to muck around in there!

Yeah, what will we do with all the extra time??? 

Hey!  We can fly more!!  :)

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

Not needed any more.

Only set the AffinityMask IF you are trying to free up a CPU to process something else (i.e. ASN, TrackIR5, etc. etc. ... but you will also need to then manually set Affinity for those external programs so they don't cross CPU bounds).

Some other settings that folks might want to use:

[sCENERY]

AUTOGEN_TREE_MAX_DRAW_DISTANCE=9500.000000

Can bump this up to 12000 (or is it 12500) ... you will see trees further out in the distances but it will induce about 10% performance hit and use a little more VAS (assuming your at 9500)

[GRAPHICS]

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=2048
CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

If you want cloud shadows to be more detailed then 1024 and/or 2048 will increase cloud shadow detail but at a pretty significant performance hit.

I haven't notice any performance difference using Ground shadows at lower settings 1024 and 512.

[Display]
InfoBrakesEnable=False
InfoParkingBrakesEnable=False
InfoPauseEnable=False
InfoSlewEnable=False
InfoStallEnable=False
InfoOverspeedEnable=False
InfoWeaponSystemEnable=True
InfoCountermeasureEnable=True

Turns off those messages in the lower left corner of the screen (same as FSX).

But overall, you really don't need to do anything in the Prepar3D.cfg.

I haven't been able to OOM P3D v2.3 yet ... pretty much don't even worry about OOMs any more ... like other's suggest, more time to fly. And if you've seen how I land the MJC Dash-8, more time flying is a good thing for me  :Peace:

Cheers, Rob.

Not needed any more.

Only set the AffinityMask IF you are trying to free up a CPU to process something else (i.e. ASN, TrackIR5, etc. etc. ... but you will also need to then manually set Affinity for those external programs so they don't cross CPU bounds).

Cheers, Rob.

Sir,

Could you please explain this a little more? What I usually do, is run my cfg. with no tweaks at all, and in the task manager for P3Dv2 enable all cores all 8, the 4 core, and 4 virtual ones, and then leave Core 1 unchecked.

How do I make ASN and TrackIR use this Core1? Do I have to then go to those tasks and disable all for them but core 1? Is that what you were getting at? Thanks!

Sir,

Could you please explain this a little more? What I usually do, is run my cfg. with no tweaks at all, and in the task manager for P3Dv2 enable all cores all 8, the 4 core, and 4 virtual ones, and then leave Core 1 unchecked.

How do I make ASN and TrackIR use this Core1? Do I have to then go to those tasks and disable all for them but core 1? Is that what you were getting at? Thanks!

I highly recommend the program Process Lasso.   It allows you to set priority and cores in real time while monitoring resources.   I used it to isolate P3D on to 4 of my cores and let NOTHING else in my process list touch those cores.   It is one of the reasons I went from struggling with high settings to 60 FPS pegged in most scenarios on my hardware.    Let NOTHING interfere with the cores your P3D is running on.

Check it out:  https://bitsum.com/processlasso/

100454.png
Captain K-Man FlightBlog Channel: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCulqmz0zmIMuAzJvDAZPkWQ  //  Streaming on YouTube most Wednesdays and Fridays @ 6pm CST

Brian Navy

THANKS to ALL..................

I'm NOT touching mine from default - just wanted to know if those "tweaks" that I've used in the past P3d versions and FSX were still viable.........and I'm glad they're not.

I used to spend hours tweaking with FSX and the earlier versions of P3d, until version v2.2 - I just said "screw-it", I bought this to fly and not tweak......and I am much better for

kicking the habit....and IMO, 2.3 is what we all hoped for two years ago and now we're using it.  Kudos to LM and a big "thank you" to Rob for all of his hard work and keeping us

in the loop....

Blessings to all,

Tom

Yah dont worry just have fun Tom - pretty nice now

Rich Sennett

Only set the AffinityMask IF you are trying to free up a CPU to process something else (i.e. ASN, TrackIR5, etc. etc. ... but you will also need to then manually set Affinity for those external programs so they don't cross CPU bounds)

I highly recommend the program Process Lasso.   It allows you to set priority and cores in real time while monitoring resources.   I used it to isolate P3D on to 4 of my cores and let NOTHING else in my process list touch those cores.   It is one of the reasons I went from struggling with high settings to 60 FPS pegged in most scenarios on my hardware.    Let NOTHING interfere with the cores your P3D is running on.

Check it out:  https://bitsum.com/processlasso/

I only have TrackIR running along with P3D and I wonder if, when I give this a try, it makes any difference on which core I let TrackIR run (and so which core I should disable for P3D). I always used the AM=15 in 2.2 because otherwise I would get blurries: P3D runs better now with all cores enabled so I am a bit reluctant to manually disable a core again...!

Seems to me core 0 is quite important for P3D. What core should you look at to disable for P3D en enable for TrackIR? And this goes for 4 and 8 cores (because I haven't decided yet if HT should be on or off on my PC).

I never gave this a try (cores on different programs not interfering with each other) so I am really curious if this helps performance. I do wonder though if this trick isn't worse for performance than letting TrackIR share cores. BTW At this moment I simply have TrackIR running on all cores, as is the default.

Funny btw that I never really read about this before.

Have LM sorted the affinity settings now then? Should I be removing the AM setting from my config file?