Sign in to follow this  
theskyisthelimit

My experiences upgrading from V2.2 to V2.3 with P3D

I figured I'd start a thread here on what i've experienced so far in migrating from version 2.2 of prepar3D to 2.3

So far i've ran into FSUIPC issues.. i've downloaded the latest 4936.. i find that (even with no yoke/pedal showing up) i must goto controls and have controllers checked off (enabled) in order for FSUIPC to allow me to do the calibration tab..

Scenery migration as far as the content still being there and loading was smooth, though for some reason my scenery.cfg wasnt in the Prepar3Dv2 subfolder in programdata.. i fixed this easily..

On to fps issues...

I have a saved flight somewhere near the edge of San Fran to test FTX (NAC, ftxg, vector and with aerosoft san francisco etc).. this previously was hitting 25fps on start, if not higher (paused).. now the same area with same graphic settings is now only at 14 fps.. and after pause it ranges 9-12 fps (in a cessna 172)..

I've tried removing NI profiles and tweaking the graphic settings with no luck.

My next step is to flush out all old settings (as I should have before testing technically).. ie: appdata \ local and roaming areas.. and everything but the scenery.cfg..

**Even flushing those then putting back in my graphic settings (p3d) did NOT result in any real change in performance (increase of about 2 fps)..

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Don't know if you updated the sim or installed 2.3 from scratch but I personally would never ever use cfg's and so on from a previous version with a new version. Cfg's change! Afaik 2.3 has some new entries in the Prepar3d.cfg. So if you indeed are using old cfg's, try removing them ALL (making 2.3 REALLY vanilla) and then see what happens.

EDIT

Sorry, didn't read the post carefully enough: I see you already did this. Did you also empty the shaders cache? And what happens (shock...) if you also delete the scenery.cfg?

Don't know if you updated the sim or installed 2.3 from scratch but I personally would never ever use cfg's and so on from a previous version with a new version. Cfg's change! Afaik 2.3 has some new entries in the Prepar3d.cfg. So if you indeed are using old cfg's, try removing them ALL (making 2.3 REALLY vanilla) and then see what happens.

Hi Jeroen,

So, what new entries in the prepar3d.cfg file are you talking about?

I know only about these two:

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

I prefer to keep my cfg from the previous version and still have my adjustments which I spent a long time to find out. It's nothing mystified about many things around P3D v2.

Spirit

Hi Jeroen,

So, what new entries in the prepar3d.cfg file are you talking about?

I know only about these two:

GROUND_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

CLOUD_SHADOW_TEXTURE_SIZE=512

I prefer to keep my cfg from the previous version and still have my adjustments which I spent a long time to find out. It's nothing mystified about many things around P3D v2.

Spirit

I don't know the new entries but I read there were some. I personally like to copy and paste my adjustments into a new cfg so I am sure I'm not missing anything.

I installed win 8.1 x64 to a fresh partition this time around.. and a "clean" seperate one for P3D for some bare bones testing (previous was indeed an upgrade both with fresh cfg and the old)..

I have the same situation saved.. cockpit view in a cessna aimed at the San Fran, not far from the shoreline where it then crosses over to the airport.. with a hazy layer of clouds, not that thick really..  

Keep in mind as of this moment i downclocked my hexcore to 3.4 and ram to 1600 from 2400 (i was having hdd issues and wanted to rule out weird oc issues).. i typically overclock to 4.4 with no issue (though no huge gain in fps).

So all this held equal, with 5760x1080 resolution (3 screens), no NI profile.. 8x anis. and 4x on the AA in sim settings with moderate settings throughout..

Paused on this screen:

Ftxg + vector + fsglobal 2010 + ultimate =  68 fps

Good, yes..

Moving along..

Ftxg + vector + fs2010 +ult + NAC (with patch) = 27 fps

*set to hybrid with everything checked off

This 27 is up from about 14 on my "upgraded" install (later ill try to replicate settings into the upgraded install and see if i can hit this).

At this point i havent installed Aerosoft San fran (a fps killer too).  I also have not installed the latest ASN beta nor Rex Direct Textures yet either.

Clearly, as people/myself have noticed in the past.. FTX scenery addons (not counting ftxg) seem to be frame rate killers.. i'd almost opt to disable them if this turns out to hold true, except there are some fantastic airport addons that require the areas to work correctly if im not mistaken.

Once i hit pause and start flying the fps range from a measly 15-26 give or take, still not that great considering no Aerosoft yet and not a ton of weather.  I also havent tried tweaking anything yet as far as settings goes, some of that will give it a boost.. for now just a baseline to compare as i test addons and then apply to the upgrade install to get it working without a full reinstall of everything.

MSI z690-a Unify; 1000 watt evga SuperNova Platinum; 12900kf at 1.255 adaptive LLC6, auto avx, auto Pcore, E-4.0ghz, Ring-4.1ghz, PL 241watt (Cine96c, games 83c case side On); DDR5 Gskill F5-6400J3239G16GA2-TZ5RS  at 6400mhz autovolt, Kraken x73 360mm; Thermaltake v51 Case; Gigabyte 4090 OC;  VR-Varjo Aero;  AstronomicallySpeaking:

Hi,

did you investigate the influence of exe.xml and dll.xml entries? I patched from 2.2 to 2.3, too, which actually gave me a performance downgrade, despite I tried to follow all rules and upgrade all addons as required. And, yes, I reset the driver profile to default.

Actually, I get great fps without stutters even in the SFO area with ORBX NA when I delete both exe.xml as well as dll.xml. Both implemented again, performance is drastically detoriated and I get bad stutters which I never saw in 2.2. This said, I use quite a lot of addons contributing to either of the two. I am still trying to isolate which entries sink performance that much.

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Also no need to crank up the aa and samples in P3D menu now as it is much more optimized - I think I am running like 2x its not perfect need to work it but if you start to crank those settings up now in 2.3 you will bring your fps way down - this was the first major difference I noticed -will look into NI to clean up that 2x settings but at first glance 2.3 is not liking NI - more to come

Rich Sennett

I installed win 8.1 x64 to a fresh partition this time around.. and a "clean" seperate one for P3D for some bare bones testing (previous was indeed an upgrade both with fresh cfg and the old)..

I ended up having to do the same thing. It must something about the 2.2 --> 2.3 patch that is amiss.

Also no need to crank up the aa and samples in P3D menu now as it is much more optimized - I think I am running like 2x its not perfect need to work it but if you start to crank those settings up now in 2.3 you will bring your fps way down - this was the first major difference I noticed -will look into NI to clean up that 2x settings but at first glance 2.3 is not liking NI - more to come

So for the most part, it sounds like everyone has "disabled" the NI profile.. is this accurate?  I havent tested on vs off yet, but is there a primary reason (I'm assuming in app settings work better now)..

**I have mine disabled.. IE: i removed the exe reference so it doesnt apply.. or should i try leaving it "on" but not tweaking anything.. IE: just using the NI default profile?

My exe.xml is pretty basic, no entries on this "clean" test.. and the dll.xml had one FTX_AU entry, the migration tool and fsuipc..  this all gave me 27-30 fps in the NAC paused screen..

I then removed the dll.xml.. same screen now gives the Same fps (i have noticed in my full install, usually in the past, it was the objectflow dlls that caused the fps to drop by around 10 fps)

Also.. with this nearly clean install i also got a crash of p3d on MSVCR100.dll.. this happened i believe it was, when i hit control c to close at one point (only once so far).. this i think is associated with the visual C++ 2010 package.. i saw another thread with this same crash but it really doesnt apply to this bare bones test i dont think, unless its FSUIPC 4936.

**EDIT: i had another p3d crash on exit.. this time with NO dll.xml.. the error this time was with atc.dll (which at the same time had a .net runtime error 1026 revolving around framework version 4.0.30319.. process terminated due to unhandled exception exception code c0000005

Update: after installing PNW and leaving it on hybrid, my fps for the same test on pause remained nearly the same (as expected at least for N Cali), maybe 2 fps lower.  Next will be a recheck after Aerosoft San Fran 

Update: i decided to launch my fsmark07 bombardier seattle test.. I'm still having an issue i thought was "upgrade" related.. where the autopilot doesnt work (it was a preset flight plan that auto flies through the area).. this no longer works.  Also, the initial frame rate here, so far, appears to be around 24 fps.. this is down from about 44 with 2.2 (although i have to equalize the graphic settings to be sure).

Bit confused as it appears you know what your doing after clicking some of your links in Sig. yes I have removed exe from P3D in "NI" but I am seeing a bit of shimmer i cant get rid of with P3D menu settings as if I turn them up I take a fps hit - so maybe I can get a little luv out of "NI" without affecting my fps - whatever I do it wont be much - like a 2x or 4x nothing crazy like in the past - FSIUPC seems fine to me but I dont use it really - just sits there :)

Rich Sennett

Bit confused as it appears you know what your doing after clicking some of your links in Sig. yes I have removed exe from P3D in "NI" but I am seeing a bit of shimmer i cant get rid of with P3D menu settings as if I turn them up I take a fps hit - so maybe I can get a little luv out of "NI" without affecting my fps - whatever I do it wont be much - like a 2x or 4x nothing crazy like in the past - FSIUPC seems fine to me but I dont use it really - just sits there :)

Yeah ill have to play with lowering the in app AA settings and maybe turn back on some NI settings if there are too many shimmers to try to get my fps back to where they were with 2.2.

For the record.. at this point i'm running 337.88 of nvidia.. i can also update this driver and recheck things.. (but not to the 340.52 driver as it has issues with blue triangles due to a tessellation nvidia bug)

Right now i'm just wrestling with the close on exit crashes.

I installed Aerosoft San fran.. disabled 2 of the 3 bgls (extreme etc) that i had done the first time with my upgraded install.. (those to help with fps by themselves)..

My framerate now comes in at 14 fps.. the SAME rate as before (i also put the same graphic settings in from before at this point, but no cfg tweaks).. again the same area that gave 24+ fps with v2.2..  (AA in app at 4x, lowered to 2X, dont really see an increase however).. 

More testing to go i guess.

yes I have removed exe from P3D in "NI"

Why not simply reset the profile to default? It's done with one click.

NI is just an extended interface for the default nVidia profiles. You don't have to 'uninstall' NI because it does nothing in the background. You could even reset the profile using the nVidia CP. You will be using the nVidia global settings no matter what, even if you delete that profile through the NI interface.

I always wonder why people 'uninstall' NI (which can't even be done because afaik it doesn't install itself) and remove profiles...

True. NI just allows a more comprehensive alteration of what nVidia allows in the Control Panel. It's not even clear to me whether the default nVidia profile is for P3d 1.x,  P3d 2.x or both, since the profile hasn't really changed for a while now.

All NI does is expose some settings that nVidia hides in the 3D Control panel and allows them to be easily edited.

Why not simply reset the profile to default? It's done with one click.

NI is just an extended interface for the default nVidia profiles. You don't have to 'uninstall' NI because it does nothing in the background. You could even reset the profile using the nVidia CP. You will be using the nVidia global settings no matter what, even if you delete that profile through the NI interface.

I always wonder why people 'uninstall' NI (which can't even be done because afaik it doesn't install itself) and remove profiles...

Why not simply reset the profile to default - thats what I meant to say Thanks

Rich Sennett

Major update here, at least for my system..

I upped my hex core to 4.4 from 3.4 (back to where it was)..

My NCA San fran paused screen went from 14 fps to 21 fps (gain of 7) (expected)..

After pause the average was 12-16 fps (pretty much a slide show)

I was still using the default NI profile (with no tweaks).

I then decided to try my old NI profile, despite everyone saying you dont need it.

Boom! I jumped to 31 fps on pause and after pause things were fairly smooth at around 22-24 fps (close to the city etc)..

Here are the settings i'm using at this moment, that for me, did make a difference (NI wise):

nvidia_20140821_213048.png

UPDATE: Rebooted and suddenly I can't get above 20 fps again, I'm at a loss