Sign in to follow this  
jeffer_1

Making new lightmaps for AI. Newbie here needs help.

Hello.  I am in the process of getting a system to handle FSX for the first time.  In my prep for that, I checked for AI compatability from FS9 and FSX.  I downloaded the latest FDEs for Aardvark's AI.  In their "AI Aardvark FSX models release #1" they mentioned that their models have lightmap issues with FSX. There is a .pdf about it in the download. 

Basically they said that new lightmaps will need to be made for the tail logos to show at night (as they currently fade into the model).  It was mentioned to use Photoshop to "move the origional lightmap layer over the base texture and and then set the lightmap layer to 'Multiply' , then save it."   All Greek to me.

Question: Having never worked with Photoshop, I would like to know what versions of it would support this type of operation?

Hopefully I can get a less expensive older version on Amazon or eBay that will do the job.

Thanks!

Jeff

Pfft... good luck with that mate. That's a extremely time consuming process for those of us that are experienced in CS, not too mention the fact that you'd have to check each and every single dds file to ensure it has to approiate LM. Photoshop is not a program that can be learned in a day. It can take weeks or even months to master the basics and intermediate aspects. If you're willing to jump in and give it a try, I'd suggest downloading the 30 day trial for Photoshop via Adobe's website. Don't buy it. Older versions are still retailing anywhere from $600-1K.

That said, most of the new repaints for AI traffic for already has that done.

http://www.adobe.com/downloads.html

http://www.juergenbaumbusch.de/

http://www.flyingcarpet75.com/

Then why did they say it is "easy" in Photoshop?   It is just referring to the AI tail logo issue at night in FSX. 

Well, here, let me copy the specifics of the pdf here for you and others to read:

If you're familiar with Photoshop, FS9 essentially used “multiply” to apply the base texture at night. FSX is making all the black parts of a lightmap transparent (This would make a gray area transparent white) and then using “normal” to apply the remaining white areas over the base texture. So it fogs everything out.

For whatever reason, FSX decided to take a step backwards from FS9 in how it uses lightmaps.

However, you can fool FSX into showing night time illumination more realistically. You

just have to make a new lightmap. It's easy to do in Photoshop:

You just put the original FS9 lightmap on a layer above the base texture, set the lightmap layer to “multiply”, and

then save out the result as your new FSX lightmap.

Is this perhaps something that can be done in Photoshop Elements?

Then why did they say it is "easy" in Photoshop?   It is just referring to the AI tail logo issue at night in FSX. 

Well, here, let me copy the specifics of the pdf here for you and others to read:

If you're familiar with Photoshop, FS9 essentially used “multiply” to apply the base texture at night. FSX is making all the black parts of a lightmap transparent (This would make a gray area transparent white) and then using “normal” to apply the remaining white areas over the base texture. So it fogs everything out.

For whatever reason, FSX decided to take a step backwards from FS9 in how it uses lightmaps.

However, you can fool FSX into showing night time illumination more realistically. You

just have to make a new lightmap. It's easy to do in Photoshop:

You just put the original FS9 lightmap on a layer above the base texture, set the lightmap layer to “multiply”, and

then save out the result as your new FSX lightmap.

Is this perhaps something that can be done in Photoshop Elements?

The key phrase there is; "If you're familiar with Photoshop". Which you've stated you aren't, hence my previous statement. And no, PSE won't do the job as it's only a image manipulation and publishing suite. However, the instructions you posted look easy enough to follow, if you know what you're doing. Point is, you'd have to alter a lot of DDS and BMP files and that also entails checking every single one, which could be a daunting task dependant upon the amount of AI textures/airlines you have installed.

Here is a example of what I was talking about in regards to my aforementioned statement concerning PS and the learning curve. Where do you begin?

MycUvCK.png

If you're still hell-bent on doing this, then simply DL the Photoshop Trial and we'll walk you through the process. I still think it's overlty redundant and unnecessary but hey...

I "see" your point.  :unsure2:   

Well, it will be some time before I can get to that anyway.  I am currently in the process of getting my system built, then installing FS9 back with all my addons first, then getting FSX done and tweaked.   So the AI part for FSX will be later, much later (I'm guessing October or November depending on FSX issues).   I just wanted to be looking for a PS during this time.  However, I will do as you suggested and get the trial version and contact you all here and go from there.

Talk to you then. Thanks!

Great, thanks!   After I get my system back and get things configured for my saved stuff from FS9 and then get FSX installed and tweeked.  So still looking at a couple of months, at least, to get to it. 

Thanks DetCord for the link!   Will be helpful.