Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

First big add-on... Rex, ORBX, or Accufeel?

So I've gotten my sim running smooth now and the only thing I have purchased is the Wilco CRJ nextgen series. I am ready to take fsx to the next enjoyment level by making some environment upgrades. Right now I'm just doing a lot of low level regional flying at and below 18,000 on shorter flights.

I'm not sure which add-on would yield the best enjoyment first for this. Rex, ORBX, or accu-feel? Or maybe a whole airport scenery? There are also so many variations of each I don't know where to start. I probably won't be doing much flying any time soon out of the North America area.

for me personally if your staying below 18000 and not flying in the US possibly look at something like Orbx global or photoreal scenery before a weather program

I think most of the good weather programs give you free trials which may help you on choice

Airport scenery all depends on where you fly and what sort of flying you prefer but they all add something to your simming

Pete Little

Tough decision.  Does it really have to be only one product? If you had a money amount limit that might be easier to work with for 'best bang for the buck' type thinking.

Try a bunch of the freeware or demos of different products, that may lean you towards your decision.

I'd recommend starting with OrbX Global. This will give your whole FSX planet a hugh upgrade. Later on you can expand with OrbX Global Vector and after that take a look at the OpenLC packages.

Regards,

Frank van der Werff

Banner_FS2Crew_Line_Pilot.jpg

i would go with orbx global first as well, then rex,active sky next to follow, then global vector, then payware planes and airports from there, i have no clue what part of the world you want to fly in.

In hindsight, this is the order in which I would buy addons, assuming I already owned an A2A Accusim aircraft  :P

EzDok

FTX Global

REX

ASN

AccuFeel

FTX Vector

Steves Dx10 Fixer (if it's still for sale?)

Then go freestyle with Orbx regions/airports and aircraft based on your preferences.

I meant that I only plan on flying in North America any time in the near future for now.

As far as limiting myself I just don't want to go crazy yet until I am more settled with everything else. Just spent a lot on equipment and the computer.

The ORBX global will improve global night lighting too right? How is it on FPS compared to default?

I meant that I only plan on flying in North America any time in the near future for now.

As far as limiting myself I just don't want to go crazy yet until I am more settled with everything else. Just spent a lot on equipment and the computer.

The ORBX global will improve global night lighting too right? How is it on FPS compared to default?

Orbx Global is $100.

or

REX and ASN for about the same money.

Very tough choice, but I think you will notice the change in the sim environment the most with Orbx.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

I know when I made my decision to buy my first big add-on I went for ORBX Global and was amazed by the difference, It makes the sim look so much better. Once you have enough pennies then go for a weather engine such as ASN and it then looks like a different sim.

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

Since you like flying in the lower altitudes (as do I), go for some nice scenery first.  If you like flying all over the country get Orbx global.  Like others have said, it's a vast improvement over the default scenery.

If you don't mind doing the bulk of your flying in one region, get Orbx Northern CA and/or Orbx PNW.  Plenty of places to fly in and out of in either one of these packages.

Richard P. Kelly

I got Orbx global. That's a big improvement over the default. Also tried out some photographic scenery locally and am very impressed with that, but I think photographic is only worth having on areas that you're very familiar with.

I have Rex4 Textures, and tried them with ASN trial and it looked great, but I'm waiting for the release of Rex4 Weather Direct and will likely go with that as it will be designed to work well with Rex4 textures.

FTX Global then ASN (given where you fly, I'd go the other way around because you're always in weather, but ASN wasn't on your list). You can get freeware weather textures until you've scraped together enought for REX.

Mike

For a great initial FSX experience buy FTG and REX Essentials.

Done!

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I would also get Orbx PNW and NCA... amazing scenery and uncomplicated to install..

Bert

Agreed, if your just going for America, do Orbx Pacific NW. A lot more detail for a lot less money. In fact hold out for the sales and get a few airports. Orbx also has some great free airports to go with PNW!