Sign in to follow this  
Mean Aerodynamic Chord

Your favorite weather engine

So while cruising the PMDG MD11 across the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to Hawaii, the REX weather engine decides to get new weather information. Okay great! Once it's done, my plane gets thrust into overspeed, off course, etc. etc. I'm pretty much done with REX weather engine.

What do you guys use?

EDIT: I forgot to add. Preferably something that can pull weather data from VATSIM.

fsx weather engine  when its working :P Joking  aside  cant go past asn

I7-800k,Corsair h1101 cooler ,Asus Strix Gaming Intel Z370 S11 motherboard, Corsair 32gb ramDD4,    2  ssd 500gb 970 drive, gtx 1080ti Card,  RM850 power supply

Peter kelberg

Active Sky Next

Edit: Active Sky products have always had the VATSIM Weather Option.

Active Sky Next.

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

ASN SP1 and has Vatsim option

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

FSrealWX lite. It's freeware, robust enough, and the only one I've ever used.

Active Sky Next

Edit: Active Sky products have always had the VATSIM Weather Option.

Active Sky Next.

ASN SP1 and has Vatsim option

ASN no contest, especially with the PMDG T7

Okay. ASN seems like the clear winner here. So can I use REX for textures and ASE solely for weather? Does the weather engine of ASE not cause these problems I'm having?

Also, ASE and AS2012 are legacy products now? Why can you still buy them from their site? Is there anything good in them compared to ASE (Which I assume is the latest version)? Is ASN still being "worked on" or are they already working on ASN2? Should I wait?

FSrealWX lite. It's freeware, robust enough, and the only one I've ever used.

Thanks for the suggestion, but FSrealWX doesn't have a VATSIM weather option.

Edited by linux731

Diego, if you get ASN, you need to go the development section of the hiFi froum and download SP1

System: MSFS2020-Premium Deluxe, ASUS Maximus XI Hero,  Intel i7-8086K o/c to 5.0GHz, Corsair AIO H115i Pro, Lian Li PC-O11D XL,MSI RTX 3080 SUPRIM 12Gb, Samsung 970 EVO M.2 SSD, 1Tb Samsung 860 EVO SSD, 32Gb Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3200Mhz RAM, Corsair R1000X Gold PSU,Win 11 ,LG 43UD79 43" 4K IPS Panel., Airbus TCA Full Kit, Stream Deck XL.

So while cruising the PMDG MD11 across the Pacific Ocean from Los Angeles to Hawaii, the REX weather engine decides to get new weather information. Okay great! Once it's done, my plane gets thrust into overspeed, off course, etc. etc. I'm pretty much done with REX weather engine.

What do you guys use?

EDIT: I forgot to add. Preferably something that can pull weather data from VATSIM.

Lol, using REX pretty long now and I never had something in such a drastic manner. At least in REX EssentialsPlus teh weather change is pretty smooth I think. And 2 sec overspeed, who cares?

EDIT: I remember when it was released, everyone drooled how great it is and how good it looks...now the same say it´s crap?!

What do you guys use?

I hated when REX used to do that to me.. Now I use ASN.. with REX 4

Lol, using REX pretty long now and I never had something in such a drastic manner. And 2 sec overspeed, who cares?

I've been using REX for a LOOOOOONG time and this has always happened to me. I have some cash to spend, so why not fix the problem? It's definitely annoying because it will ruin the "smoothness" of the flight. Also, the MD-11's ######ing betty will start saying "ALTITUDE" or and the overspeed warning sound will play.

ASN is the latest from HIFISIM and in my opinion the best, don't bother with the older products

Wayne such

Asus Hero Z690, Galax 3080 TI, I712700K, Kraken x72 CPU Cooled, 64 GIGS Corsair DDR5, 32 Inch 4K 

ASE is still being sold because it works with FS9 and FSX with a single install.

AS2012 is still being sold because it comes bundled with the environmental texture packages for FSX.

Yes, you can use any texture program and yes ASN will solve your issues you are having.

ASN is the latest from HIFISIM and in my opinion the best, don't bother with the older products

ASE is still being sold because it works with FS9 and FSX with a single install.

AS2012 is still being sold because it comes bundled with the environmental texture packages for FSX.

Yes, you can use any texture program and yes ASN will solve your issues you are having.

Thanks a lot guys. I'll decide after I land this flight at Honolulu (Hopefully REX doesn't divert me to Fiji instead...)

Edited by linux731