Sign in to follow this  
ap1

KMCO To KCLT

The plan was MCOY9 SAV HUSTN2.  Everything went OK except a few pilot errors, lol.  First I was reported off course and the RC window showed ORL VOR as the next waypoint when I already crossed it.  I think what happened is since it was within 30 miles of the airport I had a DP of course.  So I guided myself there but probably didn't cross it within 2 miles but the GPS showed the next waypoint.  So partly a fault on me, lol.  I requested direct to the next waypoint right when this happened and all was fine.  One other quick question.  My crossing restriction was 11,000 ft so I thought I would be vectored for a base leg approach so nearside, but instead I had a right hand downwind. So my question is, can this happen sometimes even though I have the lower crossing restriction?  I landed on runway 5.  Other than that, all was good, a nice flight. I used PG and loaded the pln before I flew.  Worked quite well.  Thanks.

First, here is the FSBuild route from the plan you submitted including a map of the arrival;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/ejzzux1142jty11/FSB%20KMCO-KCLT%20by%20ap1%20arrival%20img.jpg?dl=0

Looking up flights on flightaware.com, the same plan was used. The following image shows in dashed blue lines the filed route and in green the logged path;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/mmutsxryqyyo8pa/Flight%20Aware%20US%20airways%20plot%20KMCO-KCLT.jpg?dl=0

and below the recorded path log;

https://www.dropbox.com/s/eotsvms9z4d1yph/Flight%20Aware%20US%20airways%20log%20arrival%20KMCO-KCLT.jpg?dl=0

Notice that in reality the flight was broken out of the arrival about 40 nm out for or more direct path, in other words after entering the path to the northwest, it was never commanded to head east for the jaggie portion.

What did RC do with vectors. It should have broken you off and then given you a pattern entry to bring you out for a thirteen mile runway intercept to the runway in use it determined by weather or ai landing.

A straight in approach is considered 20 degrees off center line of the assigned runway if that is your arrival path. What runway did approach assign.

From the manual:

"Now, what determines Near-side / Far-side. It’s dependent on which direction you are approaching the airport, and which runway is being used."

Notice that the real world aircraft broke off the filed path at about 40 nm out. At that time you were a few miles east of KCLT if you were flying the filed plan at that time.

If RC assigned 5, you were nearside, true, but did it give a left turn to go downwind for 5? that may have been necessary to get you out about fifteen miles SW of the airport so you would have the ten to fifteen miles base to catch the RWY 5 intercept. You did not need the altitude RC assessed so it gave you the lower crossing restriction.

(I guess.)

Yes, RC gave a right hand downwind which is left of 5.  The vectors were fine, but I was just wondering why it

gave the lower restriction since I thought it was only for base or straight in approach.  But as you said, I guess just the way I was entering, RC gave the lower restriction.  Thanks.