Sign in to follow this  
gringo97

Avsim with download managers - "incorrect password"

I can't download big files in the normal way probably because internet speeds are low where I live, so I use Free Download Manager which works really well and does the necessary resuming, often several times as the download progresses. Unfortunately it just won't work with Avsim files, it starts, then terminates with an error message about incorrect password. FDM doesn't ask for passwords and I'm already logged into the Avsim library to get a download. so why won't Avsim work with my download manager? It means I just cannot download the big scenery files that I want.

Hello,

Download managers do not work with our library system.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Thanks for the clarification, although its very disappointing. It means that I can never get large files (anything over say 30mb on a very good day) because of the poor internet service where I live. There are only two companies providing internet, and both offer fairly slow speeds and not the best reliability. As an example, to download the scenery files for NL2000 I had to use NL2000's own site which does allow download managers. It took an average six hours per scenery area to download (of around 5gb each) with multiple stops and starts (resumes) taken care of automatically.  I would never have been able to download them from the Avsim library. I'm sure this affects lots of other people too. Would it be possible to allow download managers to work with your system?  I've tried finding files that I want (Malta, Cyclades, Italy) from sites where I can download directly but everything seems to link back to Avsim. Your library is excellent by the way, but it is very frustrating that I - and I would guess lots of other people - are effectively denied using it because download managers are not allowed.

Download managers do not work with our library system.

Dave, sorry for contradicting of you. Download managers DO work with the AVSIM library and have since the outset. I just checked again with Internet Download Manager  to see that everything is working as it should be and it is. Resumable downloads are critical as the OP points out for the larger scenery files. Gringo, resume capability is built into our library and it works with IDM and many others. You must have a configuration issue in your manager. Keep in mind that we do limit the number of simultaneous connections that you can make to three (if my memory serves). I have used IDM for years and it is without a doubt one of the best, if not the best, out there.

EDIT: try limiting the number of simultaneous connections that your DM wants to make to three.

Ah ok,

Thanks for the heads up.

Regards,

Dave Opper

HiFi Support Manager

Supportteam_BannerA.png

Tom, a very big thank you for taking the trouble to reply and giving me fresh hope after I thought it was all over for me with Avsim and big scenery downloads. I experimented with the settings as suggested and have now successfully downloaded a couple of the big files I have wanted for a long time. I owe you one!