aden14.jpg

aden15.jpg

aden16.jpg

aden17.jpg

aden18.jpg

aden19.jpg

aden20.jpg

Thanks for viewing!

I spent a couple of years in Aden and Khormaksar is much greener than I remember! :smile:

Eva Vlaardingerbroek, an inspiratiom.

I spent a couple of years in Aden and Khormaksar is much greener than I remember!

The last image is FSX so does not look like real world. The cities are in the blast zone of a caldera.

HLJAMES

Hi Ron,

You're right - hardly any green grass there, only dust, rock and dirt.  

My father was posted to Aden late 50's and again early 60's (RAF, Air Ministry). I spent 6 weeks there (Maalla Straight) in '57 (supernumerary crew RAF Hermes from Lyneham) and 3 months  in '63 (RAF Comet) on visits to see the family (quarters at Tarshyne, then). Sadly, I was studying back in England. Logged an hour flying a Beverley on a supply trip up to Mukeiras. I was a Pilot Officer aged 21 on that second trip (Uni Air Squadron).  I have to say that whole 'Aden experience' was an magical episode for young bloke.  

So, the only green grass I ever saw was a 10' square 'lawn' (of sorts) outside our house on the Maidan, near the Officers Club, and the well irrigated gardens at the BP refinery. Plus of course at Sheik Othman gardens (spelling?) oasis.

I have also done that Dubai to Aden flight - in P3D with ORBX Global + Vector.  Starts out great, and the desert textures are not at all bad, but Aden airport itself conveys nothing of the Khormaksar we would have known.  The approaches are good though, you can make out Little Aden and Crater fine ... but the Airport itself kills the ride.

Now, there's a distinguished challenge for a scenery guru if ever there was one.  My cash is on the table. 

Ron, if you want to compare notes at all just let me know how I can contact you (email?) 

Cheers,

Gareth

Beautiful !

Thanks much!

HLJAMES

Sorry HL,

Forgot to thank you for posting those great shots in the first place!

Not everybody would have invested in those addons or had that particular route in mind.  Something different and special in my opinion.

Yes, pity about the last shot, as you say. Not your fault though. Maybe someone will surprise us and come up with Aden airport one day. But I suppose we shouldn't hold our breath?   

All the best,

Gareth 

Sorry HL,

Forgot to thank you for posting those great shots in the first place!

Not everybody would have invested in those addons or had that particular route in mind. Something different and special in my opinion.

Yes, pity about the last shot, as you say. Not your fault though. Maybe someone will surprise us and come up with Aden airport one day. But I suppose we shouldn't hold our breath?

All the best,

Gareth

No need to apologize......Im fascinated by you'r experiences. Others have commented on other posts of being at Mukeiras as a child and seeing Beverlys land on the dirt runway.

HLJAMES

Yes, that was me. 1963. I was 21, a novice RAF pilot (University Air Squadron Voluntary Reserve). The captain gave me his seat while he had breakfast. The FO (about same age as me) was already tucking in to his. I had the plane for most of the climb up to Mukeiras. Pretty exciting stuff for me at the time with less than 100 hours in my logbook, much of it aeros and forced landings practice. For the take-off I had to stand on the flight deck and grab hold of an angle-iron fixture. A touch casual? You bet. Your pics sure brought that alive again for me.  

Regards,

Yes, that was me. 1963. I was 21, a novice RAF pilot (University Air Squadron Voluntary Reserve). The captain gave me his seat while he had breakfast. The FO (about same age as me) was already tucking in to his. I had the plane for most of the climb up to Mukeiras. Pretty exciting stuff for me at the time with less than 100 hours in my logbook, much of it aeros and forced landings practice. For the take-off I had to stand on the flight deck and grab hold of an angle-iron fixture. A touch casual? You bet. Your pics sure brought that alive again for me.

Thank You for sharing you'r experiences....You'r dad sounds like an adventuresome character also!

Nice.

Thank you!

HLJAMES