Sign in to follow this  
MarkW

Bit the bullet....my largest software purchase ever

in argentina to get your PPL you must spend 4000 US Dollars, 100 US Dollars per hour.

Canada is too expensive. 

Its getting more difficult, now I have to move, learn Spanish and then I can fly !!!  B)

open LC is fantablastic for your next bullet

Is OpenLC different from Orbx Europe LC?  I have an old set of Cloud9 Landclass for use outside of Europe.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Simhttps://goo.gl/photos/oic45LSoaHKEgU8E9

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

Thanks for the report Mark. Does ORBX vector provide traffic for additional road classes other than divided freeways as UTX does? I'm hoping it has a more efficient version as enabling it in UTX cuts my FPS in half.

Ted 

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Not so long ago i replaced GEX and UTX with Orbx Global, Vector and the various UK sceneries.  I have been happy with the base packages, but the UK sceneries, while very pretty, are big VAS hogs.  They don't appear to have much FPS impact on my system, now Active Sky and REX, that has a huge FPS impact. 

Ian R Tyldesley

UTX only provides divided freeways?  I didn't have Vector installed for very long, but if you already have UTX covering an area, getting Vector is not going to provide any advantage to that area.

Its getting more difficult, now I have to move, learn Spanish and then I can fly !!!  B)

Is OpenLC different from Orbx Europe LC?  I have an old set of Cloud9 Landclass for use outside of Europe.

short answer Same thing

UTX only provides divided freeways?  I didn't have Vector installed for very long, but if you already have UTX covering an area, getting Vector is not going to provide any advantage to that area.

Ian, FSX only provides road traffic on divided freeways. UTX can add traffic to other roads, however at a 50% FPS impact on my system.  Reducing the amount of traffic helps, but with UTX it is still a significant impact even with minimal traffic. The problem is you cannot use UTX with the default FSX traffic. Its either UTX with no traffic, UTX with minimal traffic and an FPS impact, or turn off UTX and use FSX traffic on the freeways only with minimal FPS impact. My question was, does ORBX vector have any options to change the amount of road traffic. I am hoping ORBX made it more efficient as they did with the lights.

Ted

3770k@4.5 ghz, Noctua C12P CPU air cooler, Asus Z77, 2 x 4gb DDR3 Corsair 2200 mhz cl 9, EVGA 1080ti, Sony 55" 900E TV 3840 x 2160, Windows 7-64, FSX, P3dv3, P3dv4

Thanks for the report Mark. Does ORBX vector provide traffic for additional road classes other than divided freeways as UTX does? I'm hoping it has a more efficient version as enabling it in UTX cuts my FPS in half.

Ted 

Yes you have options as to which roads carry traffic.  I have traffic only on the major highways but need to play with the settings to determine frame rate impact.

Mark W   CYYZ      

My Concorde Tutorial Videos available here:  https://www.youtube.com/user/UPS1000

That's a plus vs. UTX that you have options for which roads carry traffic.

Ted

I installed the same combo today: Global, Vector and OpenLC. The overall feel of everything is pretty good, at least in the country where I live (Netherlands) but it really seems to hurt performance on my PC... I am flying in P3D 2.3 btw. The colors are pretty sunny which is absolutely GREAT with P3D's cloud shadows!!! I have not experienced the impression of sunshine like this before in a flight sim! But it's a shame I had to lower almost all settings a bit.

From an elderly, timid simmer, strictly GA/VFR.

I have UTX Europe and GEX  installed.

To get ORBX Global, Vector and Europe LC,

Would I need to uninstall UTX and GEX first

ANAMIV 

Wise purchase. Enjoy!

Wouldn´t it be easier to go fly for REAL, take lessons?? 

It´s a lot more fun and you fly "as real as it gets".

I doubt anyone is going to argue that flying a plane in real-life is less realistic than a computer simulation.

I installed the same combo today: Global, Vector and OpenLC. The overall feel of everything is pretty good, at least in the country where I live (Netherlands) but it really seems to hurt performance on my PC... I am flying in P3D 2.3 btw. The colors are pretty sunny which is absolutely GREAT with P3D's cloud shadows!!! I have not experienced the impression of sunshine like this before in a flight sim! But it's a shame I had to lower almost all settings a bit.

I think you need to adjust the Vector settings.  Get rid of bridges and tunnels on smaller roads, etc.  They are hard to see and really hit performance.

Mark W   CYYZ      

I think you need to adjust the Vector settings.  Get rid of bridges and tunnels on smaller roads, etc.  They are hard to see and really hit performance.

I already disabled the entire tertiary roads part. Although this didn't help too much I found out in the meantime that my low performance had a lot to do with the area I was flying in: a large area around Amsterdam. There are a LOT of small lakes and waters and stuff down there which clearly brings performance down and which btw makes it look like a total ugly unrealistic mess! So I flew down south towards Belgium and not only does everything look a lot better and more realistic once I left Utrecht behind me, but performance also is the way I was used to now. 

I am used to flying in rural area's and bush and obviously the west of the Netherlands is something totally different: almost everything is urban over there. I apparently picked the wrong spot to do my first flight with these add ons. When I fly in PNW and have to fly over Portland or Seattle, performance also drops (though not as heavily near Amsterdam) so I simply have to plan my flight carefully, avoiding big cities which I don't like anyway.

Still, I will see if disabling bridges and tunnels and a few underlays may help because in the bush fps is constantly at my limit of 33 while in Europe with these Orbx add ons performance is around 25 fps. Not bad though because in P3D 2.3 that results in smooth flying anyway. 33 is nicer though. 

From an elderly, timid simmer, strictly GA/VFR.

I have UTX Europe and GEX  installed.

To get ORBX Global, Vector and Europe LC,

Would I need to uninstall UTX and GEX first

ANAMIV 

Hi,

You would need to uninstall GEX and if you get Orbx Vector then you would need to uninstall UTX also. However you have the option of using UTX for vector data rather than buying Orbx Vector and then all you need to do is disable the files related to UTX landclass in the scenery library. I have not bought Orbx Vector as yet as, from looking at the forums, there still seems to be quite a few elevation issues related to the use of this with other (non-Orbx) addon sceneries but I use Orbx Global, Orbx Open LC Europe and UTX and my overall impression is that this combination works pretty well.

Bill

I think it might be possible to have Orbx Vector installed at the same time as UTX as long as it's layered correctly, so you can have orbx vector coverage for areas that you don't have UTX for.