Sign in to follow this  

Request for P3D default versus REX4 wave animation comparison

I am thinking about getting REX4, mainly for the clouds and the wave animation. I have disabled the default water effects in P3D because those waves look way too big imho. I was wondering if REX4 comes with a wave animation that you can barely see at 3000 feet and higher (like only when you look towards the sun shining over the water) and that becomes more apparent when you are flying very closer to the surface (below 1000 feet or so). Maybe someone could make a shot of the default P3D wave animation and then one or two (or three) of more subtle, calmer animations (if those exist!)? 25 bucks for one wave animation (and maybe some clouds) is a bit much so I'd like to be sure REX4 offers what I want. ^_^

You may want to check over at the REX forums regarding this, if you haven't done so already.

So REX is replacing the built-in animation code? How?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Ok.. not sure how changing textures would change the actual animation... what am I missing?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Keep this in mind. REX recommends that the mesh resolution be set to 1 m for their wave animations to work properly. See page 11 of the REX 4 Texture Direct Users Guide.

I'm still confused... a texture isn't an animation.

So, either there's quite a bit more being changed for it to be called an animation... or, people are calling it the wrong thing?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Dynamically generated "mesh" to which textures are applied, Ed.

Fr. Bill    

AOPA Member: 07141481 AARP Member: 3209010556

Avsim Board of Directors | Avsim Forums Moderator

Prepar3D v2 has a completely different water animation system that has a bunch of files with settings used to control the water animations... so are you saying REX is bypassing all of the built in animation code and replacing it with their own?

Are they replacing the Triton wave animation code?

Ed Wilson

Mindstar Aviation
My Playland - I69

Hi Ed, 

The Triton is an all encompassing built-in system that kicks in under a pre-determined low altitude. Basically the frequency of the Triton system is more apparent as the camera approaches the water surface. That system simply morphs with the current SDK texture/water constant system.

There's a lot going on with the water development at LM, and we're staying on top of that as well, especially in our next update due out shortly.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

I just love it when a product rep jumps in. It keeps the sanity.

Bob

.... ....

There's a lot going on with the water development at LM, and we're staying on top of that as well, especially in our next update due out shortly.

Holi - read between the lines - batman!! Lol

More water updates to come! Thanks REX!!!

Holi - read between the lines - batman!! Lol

More water updates to come! Thanks REX!!!

... and more, just wait! Keep your eyes peeled.

Tim Fuchs
Managing Partner
REX SIMULATIONS 

support www.rexaxis.com

... and more, just wait! Keep your eyes peeled.

One word AWESOME - bring it on Tim

Rich Sennett

This is great news. Now I'm curious about what LM has up their sleeves as well, regarding the water.

Jazz