Sign in to follow this  
Joseph29

Russia scenery help

I downloaded and installed a new scenery for Sochi (URSS), the scenery overall is very nice but the default control tower and some other default builds are still in the scenery.

I got the scenery from avsim.su (54581-URSS-FS2004-Relise.zip). Using Google translate I saw that someone has the same problem as I have, but I am having trouble seeing (or finding) if there was a fix.

Can anyone help me with this?

I downloaded and installed a new scenery for Sochi (URSS), the scenery overall is very nice but the default control tower and some other default builds are still in the scenery.

I got the scenery from avsim.su (54581-URSS-FS2004-Relise.zip). Using Google translate I saw that someone has the same problem as I have, but I am having trouble seeing (or finding) if there was a fix.

Can anyone help me with this?

Did you ever install any AFCAD program that updates the scenery to its present layout? If so, that's the issue. If not, it's possible that scenery uses default objects.

I searched for other AFCADs but only found the one that came with the scenery. And the default buildings are not supposed to be part of the new scenery. You can see some of the default buildings on top of the new custom buildings.

I don't have this third party scenery installed but I followed someone else's advice on how to fix this in FSX with other sceneries.

First, do a search in your FS9 folder for URSS and locate all the URSS.BGL files. In my folder for example, I have a URSS.bgl file that was created by mytraffic. Other than the default URSS file, this is the only other one that is installed so for me I would keep this one.

Since you have another third party scenery for URSS that you want to use then you should rename all other URSS.bgl files to something like URSS.bgl.old.

I'm not 100% certain this works the same way for you in FS9  as it does for me in FSX but I hope this helps.

Troy Kemp

Win 11 64 Pro on 1TB nvme + 500GB ssd  / P3Dv5.3+ on 1TB nvme+ 250GB with P3D addons / MS2020 2TB nvme /I9 13900K@ 5.8ghz / 32GB DDR4 3600mhz / MSI MPG Z690 DDR4 with wifi / RTX 4090FE

Troyboy66.........I searched and I did not have any URSS.BGL files in my FS9 folder.

I wish I could email the creator of the scenery, but I did not see a email anywhere in the readme file. Plus I don't speak Russian and I don't know if he knows English.

Hi,

did you delete the files AP958160.BGL,  FL958160.bgl, HP958160.bgl from the folder [your FS2004 path]\Scenery\Eure\Scenery?

The readme is displayed as pure ASCII-Code at my current system (it's a problem of language setting) but I believe to know what it is supposed to read.

If you have already deleted or de-activated these files, you may test an "Exclude"-entry for the scenery in the scenery.cfg.

Beyond your problem, how is the scenery compared to Sochi 2007? Until now, I always came back to Sochi 2007 by VSS; not only because of its AES-compatibility, but also due to it looking better than the new versions. It has never been a problem to me that the new terminal is still a construction site in this old version. Furthermore, the helipads provided with UTT's Mi-8 for AI fit perfect with the old scenery.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

I did delete AP958160 and FL958160 but there is a new HP958160 file and I was supposed to replace the original one with the new HP file. (yes I did save the original files). I guess I could try and delete HP958160 tomorrow and see if that does anything.

And I like this scenery a lot better than the Sochi 2007 scenery. It has a lot better looking airport apron textures, the terminal now has jetways and the two new aprons that are on the other side of runway 06/24 are in the scenery. And as a bonus it has the surrounding area including the Olympic village. Plus at night it looks very nice!

O.K., yes the readme declares to replace HP958160.bgl with the delivered one. As I expected the stock tower and buildings to be part of AP*.bgl, I don't know what to try else with exception to create an exclude entry.

However, encouraged by your description I will try the scenery as soon I have access to my FS again and check its appearance. Perhaps I find a solution to your problem, too. As it happened to you, I can't find one in the Russian text.

By the way, do you use the Phototerrain? I know some examples of Russian airport sceneries (for instance UNIP) using the Phototerrain to exclude Autogen objects (but no Airport objects so far).

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

O.K., yes the readme declares to replace HP958160.bgl with the delivered one. As I expected the stock tower and buildings to be part of AP*.bgl, I don't know what to try else with exception to create an exclude entry.

However, encouraged by your description I will try the scenery as soon I have access to my FS again and check its appearance. Perhaps I find a solution to your problem, too. As it happened to you, I can't find one in the Russian text.

By the way, do you use the Phototerrain? I know some examples of Russian airport sceneries (for instance UNIP) using the Phototerrain to exclude Autogen objects (but no Airport objects so far).

I did install the terrain that came with the scenery. I don't know what other terrain there is for Sochi. And I don't know how to make a exclude entry like you suggested.

Yes, I meant the Phototerrain provided with the scenery. I just wanted to know if you use it at all. (I don't use Phototerrains for many airports for which one is provided, especially if I have to drop the textures into the scenery\World\texture folder, or to avoid hard transitions between phototerrains and "normal" landclass-based terrain. In these cases, I often have to define exclude areas.)

By the way, there was once a standalone Phototerrain for the wider Adler area which I use together with URSS 2007. And then there came a phototerrain with a Sochi 2014 scenery (maybe a beta version) in June.

I will try the scenery myself in the next days. If I can create an exclude entry, I will provide it here (it's simply an additional line of text written below Sochi's entry in the "scenery.cfg" file).

Meanwhile, if you want, you can test what happens if you copy and paste the following text just below the entry for the airport within your Scenery.cfg:

Exclude=N43 25.90,E39 55.35,N43 27.38,E39 57.80,all

The whole entry may look now as shown here (of course your path to the scenery files, the entry number and the layer number will be different):

[Area.166]
Title=URSS Sochi
Layer=357
Active=TRUE
Required=FALSE
Local=Landschaft\Asien\Russland\URSS Sochi
Remote=
Exclude=N43 25.90,E39 55.35,N43 27.38,E39 57.80,all

The positions are taken testwise from the AFCAD file in absentia from my FS computer to cover nearly the whole airport area in a huge rectangle. They may have to be corrected according to buildings actually showing up and/or other objects to keep (for instance Autogen of the phototerrain) as soon as I can check it at home. However, you can check if the stock buildings are gone now. Testwise, you can also put the exclude line below the entry for Sochi Landclass instead.

Of course you can create an exclude area by editing the AFCAD file via ADE, too. Unfortunately, I have experienced cases in which this didn't solve the problem. An entry into scenery.cfg always proved to be the most reliable way for me.

I hope to be back with results soon.

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

I had that phototerrain that came with that Sochi 2014 that you mentioned, but I deleted it because the instructions for this new scenery did not mention needing that phototerratin. Tomorrow I will try and put that phototerrain back in and see what happens, I will also try your exclude line.

And I don't know if you will like this new Sochi scenery then because you have to put files in the scenery/world/texture folder. I backed my folder up first before I put in the textures incase I did not like the scenery.

I always have a backup of my whole FS2004 installation, so I will probably try the new Sochi airport scenery with all three (!) phototerrains I know so far... I think that only the newest one will show the Olympic Games site. Regarding the number of textures, the new phototerrain seems to be significantly wider than the one provided with "Sochi 2014" from June - 2,391 vs. 442 texture/agn files, while the one from 2010 that I still use has 1,108.

[OT] As I wrote, if I like an airport but not its phototerrain then I use the airport without the phototerrain, but with an exclude entry if needed. But meanwhile, I did forgot my principle in some cases, mostly payware, but also for Project Canarias 2006. And how could anyone run FS2004 without Canarias 2006...? [end OT]

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Hi,

I came back to my FS-PC earlier than expected.

Regarding Sochi,

1. The exclude line described in post #10 may read:

Exclude=N43 26.83,E39 55.65,N43 26.47,E39 56.38,all

It has to be inserted below the entry for the airport (not the landclass)
You will loose some autogen around the old terminal but the stock buildings don't show up anymore.

2. From the phototerrains available, I prefer the one provided with the Sochi 2014 scenery from June 2014. It fits best in terms of colours. The newer phototerrain from the newer package covers a much wider area stretching even into Georgia (Abkhaz Autonomous Republic) but the summer colours are of a strange yellow. Night look is stunning also with the version mentioned. The Olympic area is displayed not with the latest development stage but there's a basic layout shown.

I like the new Sochi airport!

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

GeyerH, just wanted to say thank you so much!! The exclude line worked and now I have no more default buildings in the scenery. Again thank you very much!

Hi, you are welcome. Yesterday I tried to refine the exclude line to exclude only buildings, not autogen trees (although some of them stand around the tower on the apron). I had no luck. The exclude line in Scenery.cfg seems to allow only to exclude 3D objects and/or navaids. An exclude rectangle made with ADE allows more specified definitions, but unfortunately, for some reason I don't know about ADE fails to compile the URSS Afcad file. However, it's good if the entry in Scenery.cfg works for you, for me it will work, too.

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg