Sign in to follow this  
nudata

Toe Brakes - Problem Setting?

I had my CH Products toe brakes working after a lot of illogical fiddling. Now I have lost that setting (should have exported/saved). I have tried many settings in P3D Controls, FSuipc, Windows Control Calibrate and CH Products calibrate. The only way I can fly is to slew to altitude. Takeoffs are a zigzag.

I have reversed settings in FSuipc and CH axis assignments. FSuipc, Windows control calibrate and CH Controls show good operation in terms of the graphics and tabular outputs. However, Differential Braking 9lower left red) comes on when any plane is loaded. I can turn it off but only depressing toe brakes ant an odd combination. Any attempt to taxi/steer is bad.

regards,

Dick near Pittsburgh, USA

These settings are saved in Standard.xml to be found in the Controls subdirectory of your configuration folder (where prepard3.cfg) resides. I think you should be able to locate an older version of this file someplace. I made a backup (as required) when upgrading to 2.3, I have another older version in a SSD backup and I make occasional backups of all configuration files after detecting a good configuration. Other potential sources for backups are the Estonian Migration Tool, if you own this. 

This does of course not apply to the FSUIPC settngs which are in fsuip4c.ini in the modules folder. I make regular updates of this one, too,

Kind regards, Michael

MSFS, Beta tester of Simdocks, SPAD.neXt, and FS-FlightControl

Intel i7-13700K / AsRock Z790 / Crucial 32 GB DDR 5 / ASUS RTX 4080OC 16GB / BeQuiet ATX 1000W / WD m.2 NVMe 2TB (System) / WD m.2 NVMe 4 TB (MSFS) / WD HDD 10 TB / XTOP+Saitek hardware panel /  LG 34UM95 3440 x 1440  / HP Reverb 1 (2160x2160 per eye) / Win 11

Thanks, that allows me to use a fortunate backup copy which is really close. That is, the differential braking comes on at the slightest touch of the toe brakes. Bouncing down a dirt runway is a disaster. Smooth concrete may work.

I have always had problems with toe-brakes. The control panels show normal values as the pedals and toe-brakes are operated. There is some process that translates these numbers for reaction y the "aircraft". The almost perfect numbers in the various control panels says that the pedals/brakes are ok - but who knows.

regards,

Is your copy of FSUIPC a registered version?  If so I always calibrate the toe brakes via fsuipc axis controls. Typical input values, depending on your control type, run a  range from -16,384 up to +16,384 (brake pedal at rest to fully applied)  I like to calibrate mine so the brakes aren't registering until -10k is reached then also apply a slope so they are applied more aggressively the further the pedal is depressed (non-linear).  Set up this way the toe brakes are not accidentally applied by small inputs when controlling the rudder during nose-wheel steering.  Having a good set of pedals helps a lot to which is why I trashed my old Saitek set in favor of a set of MFG Crosswinds. 

If you don't have a registered copy of FSUIPC its worth every penny.

RE Thomason Jr.

I Have registered copy - thanks, forgot about it.....

regards,

I had my CH Products toe brakes working after a lot of illogical fiddling. ...Takeoffs are a zigzag.

I have reversed settings in FSuipc and CH axis assignments. FSuipc, ...comes on when any plane is loaded. I can turn it off but only depressing toe brakes ant an odd combination. Any attempt to taxi/steer is bad.

I assume that you have turned OFF controls inside of Prepar3-D, yes?

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Ah, no. I now dimly remember that. I never really used any FSUIPC stuff. Now adding buttons and control axis. Quite complicated. Is there any basic parameter file available?

regards,

Ah, no. I now dimly remember that. I never really used any FSUIPC stuff. Now adding buttons and control axis. Quite complicated. Is there any basic parameter file available?

Wellll there are, but it really depends upon the your specific hardware.

Robert McDonald wrote a really nice piece that has to do with ThrustMaster Warthog HOTAS , that you might want to reference but it all has to do with editing your FSUIPC.CFG file.

You need to read the very extensive PDF that Pete Dowson wrote ...and yes it can be very complicated,and yes there can be a steep learning curve. I would say though that for every minute that you spend studying various portions of Pete's documentation, will pay you back 10 or perhaps 100 fold in your enjoyment and satisfaction with your simulator

I would suggest that you find somebody that has the same hardware you use and a paid copy of FSUIPC and get them to send their config.

Hope this lend some insight into your situation,

Chas

My first sim flight simulator pD25zEJ.jpg

Take a ride to Stinking Creek! http://youtu.be/YP3fxFqkBXg Win10 Pro, GeForce GTX 1080TI/Rizen5 5600x  OCd,32 GB RAM,3x1920 x 1080, 60Hz , 27" Dell TouchScreen,TM HOTAS Warthog,TrackIR5,Saitek Combat Rudder Pedals HP reverbG2,Quest2

Many thanks... I muddled through a setup that works very well. I will have to add the Modules folder to my overnight auto-backup. Maybe my imagination, but the controls seem smoother. Given the toe brake trouble I had, I wonder if I am the only one and who may not know that FSUIPC is the answer? Now I will read the FSUIPC instructions and see what other trouble I can get into. :wacko:

regards,

There is an old trick to setting up the toe brakes on the CH Products Rudder Pedals that may help. Using your hands, depress each toe brake and place a plastic CD jewel box under the heal of each and release your hand. This gives the heal more of a dead zone. Now set the toe brakes using P3D/FSX or FSUIPC and then remove the CD jewel box. Of course if you are going to use FSUIPC, make sure you have deactivated them in the sim.

Howard

Worked!

Using the "jewel" boxes I calibrated the pedals using the CH Control Manager. I believe this is the first thing the pedal inputs hit. 

Removed the boxes and went to the P3D Control and Calibration page for pedals and rudder. Did not change rudder. I then did the pedal calibration (no boxes) from the P3D brake/rudder page. Again no changes to the rudder. Theory was that the undepressed offset now set by the CH Products calibration would be "applied" to the P3D internal calibration. I found that simply setting the Brake sliders to max sensitivity and minimum null values it worked. I tried on several aircraft with positive results - clean differential brake off and on, as well as proper full brake action.

I had the FSUIPC.DLL disabled during this process and it remains disabled.

Thanks for the "box trick". Maybe someone can add to my experience.

regards,