Sign in to follow this  
ger

SEL CAL

Hi guys,

The last days I'm starting to do some flights in VATSIM with a 777. my question is, and I hope someone can help me, is where en how to get a SEL CAL code for my 777 and where and how can I find the Gander and Shanwick oceanic clearence frequencies?

Best regards,

Gérard

The last days I'm starting to do some flights in VATSIM with a 777. my question is, and I hope someone can help me, is where en how to get a SEL CAL code for my 777 and where and how can I find the Gander and Shanwick oceanic clearence frequencies?

SELCAL codes are assigned to aircraft in the real world.  Just use the one assigned to your aircraft (you should see it when looking at the registration in the VC).

As for the rest:

http://www.vatsim-uk.co.uk/oceanic-procedures/

Kyle Rodgers

Thanks Kyle for the information.

Best regards,

Gérard

Just use the one assigned to your aircraft (you should see it when looking at the registration in the VC).

I'm just wondering if you guys at VATSIM really use the Registration as SELCAL?

If one wants to find the SELCAL for his REG this would be a good source:

http://www.airframes.org

Yes, SELCAL is used on VATSIM during oceanic procedures, and work great. You need to be sure that your pilot client is set up with the correct SELCAL though, for it to work. 

Yes, SELCAL is used on VATSIM during oceanic procedures, and work great. You need to be sure that your pilot client is set up with the correct SELCAL though, for it to work. 

This part didn't confuse me that's not uncommon, but this paragraph:

"you should see it when looking at the registration in the VC"

If i look at the reg of my aircraft i don't see any SELCAL but just the Reg. :P  That made me thinking you use the REG instead of the correct SELCAL. So this seems to be a feature

of VATSIM Client. Did i get you guys now, correctly? On IVAO i have to file the SELCAL in remarks of ivap client, but i don't see it in the cockpit near the Reg.  ^_^ 

On the PMDG provided repaints, the (inside the cockpit on a placard next to the Inboard Display switch) you will see the aircraft Registration

and right under that (on the same placard, usually in a smaller font) will be the SELCAL code.

In the picture below, the Registration number is A6-EWJ.

The SELCAL code is FG-EL

11559726094_76df3bc2a0_b.jpg

That depends though. In many of the PMDG repaints it's NOT labled inside the cockpit, Air Canada and United repaints as an example. You need to either look up the aircraft registration on airframes.org and get the SELCAL from there, or you could just pick one at random. It's a FOUR character code, where the second character and fourth character need to be of a higher value then the previous, and two letters cannot follow each other. E.g. "AB-CD" is OK while "AA-BC" and "AB-BC" would not be a valid SELCAL. 

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SELCAL

Thanks guys, it seems i've to watch the F/O sight more carefully.  :blush:

I wonder why more developers aren't coding the selcal feature into the actual panel of the aircraft. I remember when I used to use squawk box and flew the SSTSIM (now fslabs) Concorde I would set the selcal code in squawk box and any time th controller punched in my selcal code the SSTSIM Concorde would start playing a two tone horn and flashing selcal light on the radio panel.

I wonder why more developers aren't coding the selcal feature into the actual panel of the aircraft. I remember when I used to use squawk box and flew the SSTSIM (now fslabs) Concorde I would set the selcal code in squawk box and any time th controller punched in my selcal code the SSTSIM Concorde would start playing a two tone horn and flashing selcal light on the radio panel.

Bet it didn't work with FSinn.

or vPilot

or whatever IVAO use...

Or the new Swift Client that is being developed for Vatsim.

Or when not using online ATC at all.

Or when using radar contact or whatever those ATC robot AI programs are called...

I'm just wondering if you guys at VATSIM really use the Registration as SELCAL?

If one wants to find the SELCAL for his REG this would be a good source:

We use whatever pilots put in there.

As far as I know it was linked to SB only.  The best outcome is had when the product remains platform independent.  If most of the online clients were actively produced/supported (which only one or two are at the moment), it would be a worthwhile endeavor.  That's just my take, though.

Kyle Rodgers

Bet it didn't work with FSinn.

or vPilot

or whatever IVAO use...

Or the new Swift Client that is being developed for Vatsim.

Or when not using online ATC at all.

Or when using radar contact or whatever those ATC robot AI programs are called...

IVAO's IVAP(pilots client) support SELCAL(as long as you put SEL/#### in your flight plan), when the ATC send you the call via SELCAL you will hear the "bip"(even if FS is in the background)

IVAO's IVAP(pilots client) support SELCAL(as long as you put SEL/#### in your flight plan), when the ATC send you the call via SELCAL you will hear the "bip"(even if FS is in the background)

and the SSTSIM FSlabs Concorde didn't have a light come up in the panel next to the HF radio inside the simulator though, did it :P