Sign in to follow this  
Richard99_Photography

Many stutters while running a steady fps

Hello,

I am testing the new purchased P3D V2.3.

Tonight's test was @ KIAH (by FsDreamteam) with the Airbus Extended by Aerosoft (v1.15).

FPS were locked to 30. In game, at the airport, I had an average fps between 28 and 30, so a solid and steady fps.

What I noted is an abnormal stuttering while turning right/left onto the taxiways and while going straight forward.

In P3D v1.4, such steady fps allows a very smooth simulation, here with P3D V2 many (unpredictable) stutters.

How is it possible running a solid and steady fps and get stutters?

Thanks, bye.

I don't think FPS is as good of an indicator in P3D 2.x as it was in FSX.  Sometimes it takes me up to 40 or 50 to get smooth.  Other times I get smooth in the mid-twenties.  It has been very frustrating.  P3D remains a 'tinker with' platform for me.

Gregg Seipp

"A good landing is when you can walk away from the airplane.  A great landing is when you can reuse it."
i7-8700 32GB Ram, GTX-1070 8 Gig RAM

Unfortunately I have the same problem.

I come from Xplane X and I can except that visually P3D looks awesome, but when it comes to smoothness, it doesn't even come close. Its really hard for me to take the plunge with P3D, 'cause  once you experience total smoothness like in XPX, its almost impossible to just ignore the fact.

Windows 11 | Asus Z690-P D4 | i7 12700KF 5.2GHz | 32GB G.Skill (XMP II) | EVGA 3060Ti FTW Ultra | TrackIr v5 | Honeycomb Alfa + Bravo

Hello,

Tonight's test was @ KIAH (by FsDreamteam) with the Airbus Extended by Aerosoft (v1.15).

FPS were locked to 30. In game, at the airport, I had an average fps between 28 and 30, so a solid and steady fps.

What I noted is an abnormal stuttering while turning right/left onto the taxiways and while going straight forward.

In P3D v1.4, such steady fps allows a very smooth simulation, here with P3D V2 many (unpredictable) stutters.

Thanks, bye.

You should be running it at unlimited at least on my rig I have to - most individual aircraft will have a sweet spot on the fps slider - experiment you will see what I am talking about

Rich Sennett

Hello,

Tonight's test was @ KIAH (by FsDreamteam) with the Airbus Extended by Aerosoft (v1.15).

In P3D v1.4, such steady fps allows a very smooth simulation, here with P3D V2 many (unpredictable) stutters.

Thanks, bye.

Yes. I don't think FSDT's airports have been optimized for P3D.

I get the same issue at KLAX in P3D. Not enough to complain about tho'.

Hi yes this what I am finding P3d is being a real pain to get right.

I cannot run the airbus with a decent airport it is a stutter fest when taxing regardless of fps I have now parked it to watch development for me the stuttering is unacceptable poor coated to FSX however I get the fact that P3D looks and feels better but not at a cost of performance.

I have net all weekend trying in vain to get this to perform with default aircraft you get micro stutters in the scenery every few seconds when using Aero...reported this to LM and with the airbus and UK 2000 scenery plus UT 2 all at moderate settings it is just terrible hence parking it for now.

FSX may be inferior and dead but at least it works it is smooth and I can enjoy that...just hope LM continue to optimise this as I do like it but not in the present state.

Cheers all

You should be running it at unlimited at least on my rig I have to - most individual aircraft will have a sweet spot on the fps slider - experiment you will see what I am talking about

I'll give a try, but I switched to "fps locked" scenario because of thinking about a steady fps would have improved the smoothness.

Using "unlimited" fps were pretty unstable with stutters as well.

I've finally got it running super smooth at 60FPS with relatively high graphics settings.  The first thing I did, which was key, was to delete any P3d profiles I had in Nvidia inspector or Nvidia control panel.  Those settings have absolutely zero effect on P3d, you can forget about them.

The next thing I did, which was key for my system, was to set Vsync to "Adaptive" in the Nvida Control Panel under the Global settings tab.  Everything else set to use application settings.

In P3d, I reset all graphics settings to the default values.  Moved the frame rate limiter to unlimited and checked the Vsync on box.

From there, it was a matter of moving settings up until I found a good compromise between the look and feel of the sim.  I did not change any of the filtering settings from the default values, and I'm also running 512 clouds from REX 4.  (Clouds seem to have a major effect on FPS).

I also use trackIR and the panning is super smooth.  More so than FSX ever was.  Also running ASN weather.

My system is i7 3770k 4.2GHz, GTX 780.  Nvidia drivers are the 337.88.  (latest drivers caused blue triangles all over the scenery).

I too recently joined the P3D club and am very disappointed when it comes to smoothness. After all I had read I expected an improvement on FSX but for me at least Prepar 2.3 comes nowhere near FSX smoothness despite getting consistent 30 frames (locked). I tried unlimited but it was worse for me.

Formally screen name was Alex_YSSY until the forum software ate my account  ^_^

@Pilatus Matt

Hello, thanks for your post, It's quite useful, but need to be more detailed. Anyway, I think your approach is effective.

First of all, 60 fps... You should give us information about addons and scenario used (which payware aircraft/airport, ASN YES/NO, weather conditions...)

Secondly, you set up Vsync in P3D and Triple buffering or not?

Bye.

Same here I have a few stutters. Not so bad. If I put the fps to unlimited is worst too. I set up the V Sync + triple buffering and locked the fps to 30. It seems better. I also set the VSync to adaptive in the Nvidia panel but I'm not sure if it makes any difference at all. 

Now I'm thinking about locking the FPS with an external app and setting back the sim to unlimited...? 

Also I was wondering if it is better to set the textures (REX4) from 32bits to DXT5...? I remember it helped in FSX, but now I got a GTX780...

Also I was wondering if it is better to set the textures (REX4) from 32bits to DXT5...? I remember it helped in FSX, but now I got a GTX780...

If you're struggling with stutters, go for DTX5. Even if you are not struggling with stutters, I'd go for DTX5. ^_^ You won't notice the difference visually but you may notice it when it comes to performance.

Unlimited slider works otherwise well, but at least for me, texture blurring can get quite bad when it comes to a heavy building autogen areas and in this sense P3D2 is really similar with FSX: as FPS starts to tank and first CPU core gets overly loaded, texture loading decreases as sim tries to push maximum FPS all the time. Although autogen is not as heavy on CPU anymore as it was with earlier titles, it still is quite a CPU hog. This is not evident at all with all scenery areas, but with FTX Global+Vector+openLC EU and flying with fast aircraft over some urban areas this is quite evident. Here, blurring is solved with limiting the FPS from the sim just like it was with FSX. Only problem with FPS limiter is that it eats some FPS, which is also the same as it was with FSX.

I'm having exactly the same problem, solid FPS wise, but totally unsmooth. I have deleted the prepar3d nvidia inspector profile, and have tried with both vsync on and off within p3d, as well as multiple FPS settings. Really starting to get annoying :)

Best regards,

Alexander Rietveld

Yup still a chugging stuttering slide-slow here as well. Add any weather and the sim virtually grinds to a halt.

It's just a bundle of bugs. Hope they employ more beta testers (with normal PC's!) for the next version.

FlightSim UK - Live To Fly

FSUK.jpg