Sign in to follow this  
Flukey

Taxi2Gate Doha

I was REALLY hanging out for Istanbul

Me too. And I still believe that Istanbul would sell much better than Doha.

Harald Geyer
   Gründer der Messerschmitt Freunde Dresden v. V.

lYI9iQV.jpg

The scenery is available at Simmarket now. It is nicely done, but there is no AI traffic at all. A very lonely airport. It needs some AI traffic whizz to fix due to FS2004 not knowing about OTHH. Beyond my skill I'm afraid. :(

Graeme Butler

This is why I'm torn about new FS9 releases.  I want to support, but some of them are in some pretty "far out" places that I wouldn't fly to ...... and might have little AI support.  If developers wish to "make money" commercially to recoup their expenses, it would seem that they would think more seriously about where the scenery was and how many people are actually prone to fly there on a regular basis.  Have enough add on airports that I really don't "use" without spending more on "niche" airports.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hamad_International_Airport

replaced Dohar International. Think above shows plenty of airlines. I'd look at WOIA flightplans for one of them.

Using a utility called AIFM (AI Flight Manager) you could easily modify one of the compiled WOAI .pln files swapping the ICAO code to fly to the new airport.

This utility works both in FS9 and FSX. Check both libraries.

Edit: It appears to be a Qatar hub judging from the number of gates and destinations it flies from that airport.

Gwillmot, you can't blame the developer of the airport for most, if not all, simmers using the old OTBD airport for their AI traffic; it's quite logical that the new one still has "no AI support". Or has the new one a fault letting no AI plane show up their due to an unsuitable Afcad file or something similar?

However, with TrafficTools I changed my AI traffic within minutes.

Decompile the traffic*.bgl file under [your FS2004 folder]\Scenery\World\Scenery into the three .txt files Aircraft*,txt, Airports*.txt and FlightPlans*.txt.

Open Airports*.txt. Search and find the line beginning with OTBD. Delete the line and replace it with the following:

OTHH,N25* 16.38',E51* 36.48',13
(The coordinates are taken from the Wikipedia entry of OTHH, corrections according to the actual Add-on are welcome, as I still haven't bought it!)

Save and close Airports*.txt.

Open FlightPlans*.txt. Search and replace the term "OTBD" every time you find it with the term "OTHH".

Save and close FlightPlans*.txt.

Compile the traffic*.bgl with TrafficTools. Restart your sim.

If anyone - unlike me - has a huge number of traffic*.bgl files, for instance one for every airline, the list in the Wiki linked by Ronzie may be a guideline which flightplans have to be edited.

BTW, some of us bother with the so feeled 15th release of London-Heathrow, while others are offended by "far out" places... I think Doha is a good compromise and an important hub between West and East. Anyway, now Istanbul is needed most!

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Harald,

Thanks for the tip on fixing the traffic - I will give it a go.

Graeme Butler

Graeme, you are welcome.

I bought OTHH and KMCO (you get a better price if you buy the two at once) some minutes ago and will adjust my entry into Airports*.txt if necessary as soon I'm back to my flightsimming PC.

Now - beat me; I can't stop myself - I'm waiting for LTBA!

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

After the modification described above (and look at the FPS):

OTHH_zps8d3fa798.jpg

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

Harald,

Thanks again for your guidance - I have recompiled a number of my AI traffic files, and I now have other aircraft at OTHH. :)

Graeme Butler

For me it's too early to have an overall view. Furthermore, I wasn't able to check if some of the faults addressed in T2G's forum for the FSX version were addressed in the FS9 version. At this moment, basing on just a first look, let's say:

- The airport itself looks fine, although there's obviously a problem with shadows of signs and objects (look at the picture beyond - you realize the black squares around the taxi signs?). I may want to switch off 3D objects casting shadows. Normally, I don't like sceneries which cause me to change settings that work well with all other sceneries, even those from the same developer... Or is it really a glitch?

- The city consists basically of some skyscrapers placed at their position, but without real city environment like phototerrain and/or custom autogen. The stock terrain extends towards the vicinity of the airport, and some exclude definition prevents autogen to show up there. This looks "cheap" somehow.

So my first thought is: Nice, but FlyTampa as given us a much better complex of airport and city for just one Euro more. O.K., I bought it as bundle with KMCO and payed a considerably better price (23.80 EUR) but even for that price, the scenery seems to be compiled too hastily and slightly overpriced.

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg

By the way, is anybody familiar with the airport in real world? I have realized that parking space is limited so that I have few other planes than those of Qatar Airways. Is this really the case?

Or is OTHH's timetable made a way that international traffic flies in at strange times, like for instance at UGTB where most international flights land after midnight and take of at early morning?

Regards,

Harald

Harald Geyer

lYI9iQV.jpg