Sign in to follow this  
jcomm

Anyone willing to share his/her PSX Layouts for XView?

I am just in the middle of the process of installing XP10 to use with Aerowinx PSX as a scenery and weather rendering engine for the out-of-windshield views.

I wonder of any of you are using the same combination, and would care to share their PSX layouts for the external views ?

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Glider pilot since 1980...

Avid simmer since 1992...

Hi SpoonerFLIGHT,

PSX is a standalone B747-400 simulation, written in Java, by the author of the previous best B747-400 simulator ever developed for the PC - PS1

PSX has it's own out-of-windshield World views, and these do look a lot more "interesting" than what we had in PS1, but are still limited, specially if you want to perform a simple circle to land...

Also, if you like to make your flights from gate to gate, then taxiing in PSX's default scenery is rather limited...

Some talented PSX users created interfaces between PSX and FSX, P3D and X-Plane 9 and 10. I decided to explore the FSX and X-Plane 10 freeware modules, and ended up preferring the XP10 solution because XP10 has sloped runways, and PSX simulates their effects in the aircraft performance, so... I am using the XView plugin and am running on the same PC PSX and X-plane 10 in windowed mode. I re-size the X-plane 10 window and the ende result is very good, but I am sure other more talented users might have spent some time creating their own "layouts" - so called in PSX to arrange the simulator windows in the display.

And, yes, PSX is SUPERB!!!! And yes, XP10 does a remarkable job, specially coupled with SyMaxxPro. PSX injects it's own weather, so, we have the best weather injector so far available for X-Plane too :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

Ryzen 5600x, 32GB RAM, Nvidia RTX 3060 Ti, 1 TB & 500 GB M.2 nvme drives, Win11.

Some screenies would be helpful JComm...;)

i910900k, RTX 3090, 32GB DDR4 RAM, AW3423DW, Ruddy girt big mug of Yorkshire Tea

I am away from my home PC :-( for more than 10 days now....

I believe as soon as I get home, many screenies will already be available.

PSX is a CBT, used mainly by B747-400 enthusiasts and real 744 drivers mostly. It's very expensive, but worth every cent IMO.

You can see most of the available info here, but also here regarding the XView plugin

My first experience with XView and PSX was bad. I was getting lots of stuttering in the XP10.30b8 window... I soon found ot it was a problem on the FPS settings I was asking for. I should have started at 72 fps on PSX's side - it is then very smooth!

I installed SkyMaxxPro v2, because I really liked the pictures some of you posted, and also because it gives better FPS than default clouds. Indeed the combination is a must!

An since I had XP10 installed again, I already got back my Carenados, and am looking forward to get my MU2J download link active again.

Regarding scenery, I will use only default or photo from SimHeaven. I want XP10 to run as smooth as possible, because PSX itself needs a lot of CPU power - it simulates simply ALL of the systems of all variants of the 747-400 available.

Have a look at the manual here  :-)

This simulation is totally compatible with the excellent 747-800 by Supercritical Simulations, because the 747-800 is not part of the range of models included in PSX !

Main Simulation Rig:

1 monitor is OK!

I am using a single ASUS LED ( cheap brand ) 1920x1080 monitor. I start PSX, then XP10 in windowed mode, and resize the XP10 window, shrinking it to 50% in height. I then superimpose the PSX layout I am using, but when I switch screens in PSX I can have access to other views, although I lose the XP10 out-of-windshield view, hence the reason for the OP, because some have adapted all of their views to go with XP10.

It works giving around 72 fps in PSX, and 60+ in x-plane ( not in HDR mode, and my graphics card is limited to 1 GB ).

One of the biggest advantages of using XP10 instead of FSX or P3D ( which also work perfectly ) for external views is that XP has rw slopes, and if you use a more detailed mesh, then they're even better.

Of course if you have additional monitor available, PSX can have it's windows / views dragged into them. They can actually be run if more than 1 PC in an network, and, PSX comes with native MCC support. Hardy has entered our cockpits a few times to solve some weird problems due to lack of experience dealing with some sophisticated malfunctions :-).  I can easily share my cockpit with anyone in the World :-)

The weather injected into XP10 by PSX is also very plausible. Although the weather model in PSX is a lot more sophisticated than what we have in XP10 ( or FSx / P3d ), the author os XView has managed to use the available datarefs in XP10 to produce a very plausible outcome. Allied with the excellent graphics and performance provided by SkyMaxxPro v2, I'm really enjoying the overall effect.

I wasn't aware of this other thread at the Hangar chat forum. Interesting :-)

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/449864-goodbye-fsxp3dxp-a-new-flight-simulator-is-in-the-house/

although I find there's room for all - I plan to use XP10, now that I re-installed it, for casual GA flights.

For authentic, the most realistic flight and systems dynamics of powerful prop aircraft, I use DCS World, and it's p51d, Fw190, and the helicopters. And I have some fun in IL2 BOS and Rise of Flight too :-)

Main Simulation Rig:

I am going to give PSX a try with XP tonight, frustrated with not getting the correct weather injected with P3D. The night lighting in XP is pretty incredible anyway. 

PSX is amazing, give it a try and you won't regret the purchasing decision.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

I don't understand your request. The layouts are within PSX and you can see their effect inside PSX.

XView is only an interface between PSX and XPX. The developer of XView has included 3 views in his soft : full forward without cockpit, right view and left view. They can't be changed, but you can disable the left/right views.

If you want a good layout, someone has posted the link in the PSX Forum, download it, put it in the correct folder, then modify them to suit your need.

By the way, PSX+XPX (with Xview) is amazing. The aircraft is handflying lovely.

Stephane

vpa055.png

Stephane,

thx for your answer. After all you perfectly understood what I was asking, and yes, I already tried a few combinations myself, with the captain view set in a way to occupy about 1/2 screen, the rest being used by the XP10 window.

I've read that apparently XP10 performs worst in windowed mode, but so far I haven't noticed any bad frames.

Main Simulation Rig:

I don't understand your request. The layouts are within PSX and you can see their effect inside PSX.

XView is only an interface between PSX and XPX. The developer of XView has included 3 views in his soft : full forward without cockpit, right view and left view. They can't be changed, but you can disable the left/right views.

If you want a good layout, someone has posted the link in the PSX Forum, download it, put it in the correct folder, then modify them to suit your need.

By the way, PSX+XPX (with Xview) is amazing. The aircraft is handflying lovely.

Stephane

Hi Stephane, are you able to operate the landing lights with PSX+Xview? I turn them on within PSX - they switch on within XP but for some reason they turn off again (XP some how is overriding PSX); the switch remains on position on the OVH in PSX.

I only have this issue with the landing lights; runway lights, beacon, wing lights, etc are all working.

Also, have you been able to load situation files? When they are loaded into PSX, the aircraft is not fully configured (e.g. ILS not aligned on an approach situation file). However shutting down XP and then reloading the situation file works.

Soarbywire - Avionics Engineering

Not sure if you got your layout pack from the answers here but I'm sure you have found Will's layout guide on the Aerowinx Forum (PSX Layouts: an annotated example). It has the .9pack download. Also Brian's Guide (PSX introductory tutorial released) on the same forum has a great section on setting up Layouts.

For XView, I'm using essentially the setup above with a few small tweaks on a single monitor 1920 x 1080 with a second monitor showing X-Plane (or FSX or P3D) and the PSX Instructor Panel.

I also have the landing lights issue and have found that I need to set up PSX with everything before running XView. The set up does not seem to like major changes in PSX. With VisualPSX however making major changes in PSX is not a problem with FSX.

I've been using the PMDG 744 in FSX as the FSX aircraft for PSX and it seems to work just fine with no VAS issues but I've not checked the lights etc. I'm not that far along the PSX learning curve yet.

Chris Stanley VTCC

Thx Chris, and yes I have been using Will's 9'packs, and of course have Brian's guide, just as I did 10 yrs ago in PS1 times :-)

I have only XP10.30 installed, and get very smooth performance from it. There are only two problems:

1) Sometimes when I load a situ in PSX, the aircraft crashes into the ground because XView doesn't have time to synchronize the two sims (?)

2) My XP10 window can't bet set to less than 3/4 of the screen in height.

Haven't had the time to look at the lighting problem described by Omni, but I will have a look at it as soon as possible.

Ah! In XP10.30 rc1 I have set the "number of flight models" to 1 when running it with PSX - helps getting some additional fps...

Meanwhile, I am considering getting some photo sceneries and a few airports.

SkyMaxx v2 is a great add-on and also adds to the smoothing while at the same time providing gorgeous sky rendering.

And.... PSX doesn't suffer from the torque bug :-)

Main Simulation Rig: