Sign in to follow this  

Solution to those having OOM issues in P3D v2.3

I'm not sure if this should be in the Tips section or not, let moderators decide:

If you have been running into VAS (OOM) issues with P3D V2.3, Beau (LM) provided some information that might help resolve:

In your Prepar3D.cfg

Add this under MAIN

[MAIN]
AlwaysFullLoad=1

In addition this process may help you save about 300MB VAS:

A process to minimize VAS usage:

1. Run P3D
2. Goto your departure airport
3. Select your aircraft
4. Save the Flight (.fxml)
5. Exit P3D
6. Check all your EXE.XML processes are gone (not still loaded)
7. Locate your saved flight (i.e. C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\KSFO - Airbus X.fxml)
8. Double click the saved flight file (.fxml)
9. Enjoy your flight

Cheers, Rob.

Most welcome Obi-Wan Kenobi.

Cheers, Rob.

:LMAO:   You guys really crack me up. Thanx for the tip, Rob, rock on.

Jazz

No promises this will solve your OOMs ... too many 3rd party variables involved and settings involved.  But it might help reduce VAS usage if you relocate your position a lot prior to flight.  Still recommend Steps 1 - 9 especially if you know you're going to push the envelope or memory.

I'm not sure if this should be in the Tips section or not, let moderators decide:

If you have been running into VAS (OOM) issues with P3D V2.3, Beau (LM) provided some information that might help resolve:

In your Prepar3D.cfg

Add this under MAIN

[MAIN]
AlwaysFullLoad=1

In addition this process may help you save about 300MB VAS:

A process to minimize VAS usage:

1. Run P3D

2. Goto your departure airport

3. Select your aircraft

4. Save the Flight (.fxml)

5. Exit P3D

6. Check all your EXE.XML processes are gone (not still loaded)

7. Locate your saved flight (i.e. C:\Users\Rob\Documents\Prepar3D v2 Files\KSFO - Airbus X.fxml)

8. Double click the saved flight file (.fxml)

9. Enjoy your flight

Cheers, Rob.

Interesting. I always (well, 98% of the time) save my flight after I have landed and shut down the aircraft. The next day I create a new flight plan in PlanG and then instead of starting P3D by using the P3D shortcut, I double-click on the shortcut I made to that saved flight (I always save the flight under the same name!): P3D then starts with the startup screen but that previous flight already loaded: this enables me to change the date and time of day (if needed) and load the flight plan. After that I start the flight and end up in the plane on the same spot where I left it after the previous flight but with a new plan loaded and (if I want to) on another day and at another time. Feels more realistic for me: this is how it would be if I really had a plane!

Anyway, it seems I've been using this trick without knowing it all the time.  ^_^

Anyway, it seems I've been using this trick without knowing it all the time.

Probably left over from your FSX days.   But like I said, this is NOT a magic bullet fix ... just something that hopefully helps out.  I can still OOM P3D with the right scenario and lots and lots of clouds (especially 32bit clouds and not DX5 ones).

Clouds do seem to have more of a VAS impact in 2.3 than they did in 2.2 ... but IMHO the 2.3 clouds look much better and they don't spin on me even with TrackIR ... but there again I don't use a very twitchy TrackIR profile and keep my head movements relatively slow (maybe I'm just getting old).

Cheers, Rob.

Why do you use 32bit instead of DX5?

DX5 before seemed to cause an FPS hit, but not so much now.

Why do you use 32bit instead of DX5?

The alpha is better with 32bit ... but will do some testing tonight.

Cheers, Rob.

Clouds do seem to have more of a VAS impact in 2.3 than they did in 2.2 ... but IMHO the 2.3 clouds look much better and they don't spin on me even with TrackIR ... but there again I don't use a very twitchy TrackIR profile and keep my head movements relatively slow (maybe I'm just getting old).

Since I got ASN the cloud spinning has become very obvious. I just finished a flight above the north of France with Global+Vector+OpenLC and heavy weather, going from low overcast to a few clouds, flew in and out of clouds (the changing of weather with ASN, even in short flights is great!) but everytime I moved my head I could see the clouds spinning. When you fly low and there is some haze you can even see that layer of haze spinning round. I have to say though that if I don't pay attention to it, it doesn't bother me at ALL. If I WANT to see it, I can see it anytime but it's not spoiling it for me right now. Something that is more annoying is the sudden change in light and shadows I get when looking around. But overal I am very happy right now with what I've got. Gorgeous scenery, great skies, smooth performance (I turned off the fps counter) and all that with very high settings. P3D 2.3 really rocks! I can't stop grinning!

BTW I didn't check VAS: I think I'll do that sometime this week. I did check VRAM but it didn't even get higher than 1.5 GB... with all that extremely dense scenery and things happening all around...! BUt my resolution is 'only' 1920x1080. (Boy, only 1920x1080... I remember the day when I was thrilled being able to play a game at 640x480 without stutters with my 3Dfx GPU! (I had one of the first 3Dfx cards in the Netherlands! Those were the days! Nah... THESE are the days! ^_^ )

but IMHO the 2.3 clouds look much better and they don't spin on me even with TrackIR ... but there again I don't use a very twitchy TrackIR profile and keep my head movements relatively slow (maybe I'm just getting old).

That must be it  :P  as LM has done bugger all in this regard, and they still spin, just as they always have since v2 (get in a Tiger Moth or Trike and tell me you can't see them spin)... the Cirrus layers still render in stripes too, which was reported since v2.0 yet has not been addressed.

The Cumulus clouds do look better though, with what looks like more layers added to each billboard, giving a greater sense of volume, which might explain the extra VAS they use.

Do you know what this AlwaysFullLoad=1 line actually does, and whether there are benefits outside of VAS consumption?... out of interest I added it, and just happened to have the smoothest, best performing flight I've experienced in p3d... I did not lose performance even flying through clouds, which normally dips me into the mid twenties. Maybe it was just the location, or other factors [these 340.72 drivers seem nice] but I will keep this line in my cfg for the time being.

Do you know what this AlwaysFullLoad=1 line actually does, and whether there are benefits outside of VAS consumption?... out of interest I added it, and just happened to have the smoothest, best performing flight I've experienced in p3d...

Interesting... I also wonder what that line does and I might also add it! I'd like to know what it does first though. I don't like adding stuff to the cfg without knowing what it's for exacty. (I don't like adding stuff to the cfg, period, but well, it if helps...)

EDIT

Ah, this is what Beau said:

We've discussed this here in the lab a bit and the only thing we could thing of off-hand that could possibly cause something like this is a change we made to cut down on SimDirector load times by not forcing the terrain to unload and reload when resetting flights and changing locations. We couldn't find any issues with it in our testing but put in a config option to disable it in case something cropped up. If you're having this issue, please try this and let us know if it helps.

Add this to your Prepar3D.cfg [MAIN] section:

AlwaysFullLoad=1

Doesn't seem something that should help with your smoother flight...? Anyway, I never ever change locations within P3D or reset a flight so this won't do anything for me.

Doesn't seem something that should help with your smoother flight...? Anyway, I never ever change locations within P3D or reset a flight so this won't do anything for me.

It would seem not then... pure chance, based on that flight alone, though I do hop between locations and reset flights sometimes, so I will keep the line active for now.

I do find p3d (and FSX) an uneven experience, with one session being amazing, and very smooth with great fps, and the next being lumpy and less satisfying... but some of that may well be down to me and my perception at that time. Having said that, as a gamer of old I don't remember my game titles giving me such uneven results.