Sign in to follow this  
arnobg

Bought FTX Global...can't say I'm really satisfied.

So after thinking about it and researching for the week I finally bit the bullet and purchased FTX global. I have to say I'm not too happy with it. The screenshots I've seen look fantastic, but the actual product doesn't show half the auto-gen scenery. I'm running it on a i7 4790k with a GTX770 2gb and the sliders are set as recommended in the user guide. The FPS are steady at 30FPS (limited to 30FPS) and it's running smooth, but the scenery just isn't loading and it's kind of blurry any further than 5-10 miles. The buildings appearing and disappearing the whole time are what is annoying me.

What settings should I look into to improve what I'm seeing? I am using Nvidia inspector, set my LOD to 6.5. I should not I've done my testing in dense areas like DC and LA, but also rural mountainous areas in east Tennesee.

LOD @ 9 or so will help. My FSX is barely stable with LOD=10 with a 3930 and GTX680.

Make sure you update your orbxlibs as well. Spend some time at the Orbx forums. Tons of info.

Not many can run LOD > 6.5 and not get performance and/or OOM problems.

So be careful with that..

Bert

Thanks for the links I will check them out, I only tried the LOD after I wasn't happy with it and did a few minutes of research.

Can anyone explain why my fsx.cfg won't save? Every time I make changes and save, use fsx and then exit, they're back to default.

LODs will stick, but you cannot make any other changes or then the LOD will revert back to 4.5.

Can anyone explain why my fsx.cfg won't save? Every time I make changes and save, use fsx and then exit, they're back to default.

Your LOD changes will revert back to 4.50 any time that you enter into the "Display" menu option - even if you don't actually change anything whilst you're in there.

If you don't want this to happen, then make all of your changes to FSX via fsx.cfg whilst FSX isn't running.

So after thinking about it and researching for the week I finally bit the bullet and purchased FTX global. I have to say I'm not too happy with it. The screenshots I've seen look fantastic, but the actual product doesn't show half the auto-gen scenery. I'm running it on a i7 4790k with a GTX770 2gb and the sliders are set as recommended in the user guide. The FPS are steady at 30FPS (limited to 30FPS) and it's running smooth, but the scenery just isn't loading and it's kind of blurry any further than 5-10 miles. The buildings appearing and disappearing the whole time are what is annoying me.

What settings should I look into to improve what I'm seeing? I am using Nvidia inspector, set my LOD to 6.5. I should not I've done my testing in dense areas like DC and LA, but also rural mountainous areas in east Tennesee.

I don't know what settings the manual suggests but I suppose Orbx used the Extremely dense autogen settings for getting the best screenshots. If the manual suggests Normal or something like that, you will obviously see far less autogen. Looking at your system you should be able to forget the suggested settings (I always do!) and go for Extremely dense.

Concerning the appearing and disappearing autogen: that's FSX... Changing the LOD won't help you much (if at all because afaik the LOD only changes how far in the distance the ground textures are being loaded). If you want to get rid of popping autogen all around you I would advice to get P3D which completely solves that problem. (It's one of the main reasons I went for P3D because that popping up autogen is AWFUL!!!)

Well I did a quick test early this morning before work and took off the frame rate limiter in fsx to unlimited. I tested it in LA and Boston where I was previously getting 12-20 fps after installing ORBX. problem solved in that department, Im now getting 30-50 fps and running smoothly. Is there a downside to the higher FPS?

As far as settings they recommend max settings for auto-gen with a Haswell, and less without. I've tried both and with the unlimited FPS max settings seem to not affect the FPS even at night with 3D lighting.

I am satisfied with performance, just not with the visuals itself. Would a better video card render the scenery faster? I have considered upgrading to a gtx780 since I am going to add a extra monitor for gauges. I will add that I am currently running this on a 40" Samsung led and loving the view.

Another thing I tried was changing my nvidia inspector settings from the 1/2 refresh rate back to the original setting in Nicks fsx bible (which is different from his actual Nvidia guide).

Its really all about how smooth your flying experience is, I would disregard the framerate counter entirely, you have a good card in your system and I am not sure really how much difference you would notice if you went for a GTX 780.

As for global it is a texture replacement, The 3d lighting has practically no frame impact at all. You will really notice the difference in certain areas of the world with it, for the best experience take a look at some of the regions they offer as they come complete with not only textures but landclass and autogen too

flyuk_sig.php?id=UKV1523

My youtube channel

http://www.youtube.com/c/Dkentflyer

I fly primarily in Socal living near KSNA. I have GEX, UTX, and MegaScenery Socal V2. I have been contemplating getting Global but haven't for its 90-100 dollar price tag. This post makes me even more weary, should I still consider getting it. i really want there KMRY airport but that requires ORBX.

I fly primarily in Socal living near KSNA. I have GEX, UTX, and MegaScenery Socal V2. I have been contemplating getting Global but haven't for its 90-100 dollar price tag. This post makes me even more weary, should I still consider getting it. i really want there KMRY airport but that requires ORBX.

KMRY requires NCal Region.

FTXG is an upgrade to all the textures and adds 3d night lights.

I had GEX/UTX and I will never go back. FTXG is an excellent addon. The OP has a problem with his setup, not FTXG.

A pilot is always learning and I LOVE to learn.

I will say the night lighting and textures are awesome, I'm just not nearly satisfied with the autogen and loading. It doesn't look good when you have a bunch of buildings within a couple miles of you and the rest is blurry textures with no sense of dimension surrounding it.

Maybe P3d is the answer and I'm just either being too demanding, or my system isn't set up right.

I'm just either being too demanding, or my system isn't set up right.

Since your issue is with FSX, both are probably true. Even after hours of tweaks and tests, you will eventually have to accept the limitations of FSX. I very much enjoy FTXG, Vector, and just about everything else Orbx has to offer, but I know I will never see it's true potential until I bite the bullet and get P3D.

I have an install and setup protocol that works for me, and my computer, but I'm sure it's not perfect.