Sign in to follow this  
nicksort

2.2 to 2.3 reminder to update the cfg file - you may have forgotten

This is a reminder to all that have upgraded from 2.2 to 2.3.

When I completed the upgrade 2.3 was running very smooth with a small amount of micro stutters and I accepted the results and happy to have a better experience all around.

I recently purchased a 4k monitor and immediately started having cloud issues. I was aware I would have a lower frame rate because of Ron’s testing and that did happen as he said.

I am sitting here at work trying to understand what is going on and it hit me what my problem may be.

I just realized that updating from 2.2 to 2.3 and deleting the 2.2 config file I never updated the 2.3 file with the updates I had in 2.2.

Affinity Mask and also the changes that LM listed in their Guide…..

If do not need to do this please let me know.

Nick Sciortino

Affinity Mask and also the changes that LM listed in their Guide….....

The Affinity Mask is not needed anymore. P3D v2.3 is handling this now in the best way.

Spirit

The Affinity Mask is not needed anymore. P3D v2.3 is handling this now in the best way.

Spirit

Strange, in the LM guide for 2.3 it says that we should add Affinity Mask 14

Nick Sciortino

"Strange, in the LM guide for 2.3 it says that we should add Affinity Mask 14"

I must have missed it ..

Exactly which guide ? 

Best Regards,

Vaughan Martell - PP-ASEL KDTW

"Strange, in the LM guide for 2.3 it says that we should add Affinity Mask 14"

I must have missed it ..

Exactly which guide ?

Located at:

Start/All Programs/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D V2/Learning Center and go to Tuning Guide.

Nick Sciortino

this is a mystery to me I read that LM had sorted the AM issue and it was no longer needed,but exactly how have the sorted it? I ran with I believe an AM of 254or 255 ,but there were many AM numbers in use by other people depending on what CPU is in use,is !4 a suit all number,

P3D v2.3 is working great for me without any affinity mask tweaks. With previous versions, If I didn't add the tweak to the config I'd get horrible, persistent blurry textures.

I suspect that the mention in the user guide is just legacy, pre 2.3 direction that is no longer relevant.

This is the first time flying in Microsoft Flight Simulator (or it's variants) -- which started with MSFS 2002 -- that I haven't had to tweak the config at all.

Mine is:

AffinityMask=15

I assume it is the default ... I cannot recall messing with it.

I have no clue what it should be for P3D v2.3 .

Maybe it is different for each PC?

The learning center says P3D will select what is needed by default.

So, I removed this from the cfg file and do a test to make sure all looks ok. :

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=15

From learning center:

[JOBSCHEDULER]
AffinityMask=14
Non-Default entry. This entry will not exist in your Prepar3D.cfg file by default and must be added to the file.

Performance Tuning Tip:

By default, Prepar3D will use all available processor cores.

On machines with four or more cores, it will dedicate a core to rendering tasks.

The easiest method for modifying the affinity mask is to open the windows calculator in programmer view, select the binary display mode, and flip the bits in the binary number displayed to select which cores the application should run on. Note that the cores are represented right to left.

This is my core activity with no affinity mask in the cfg:

P3D-mycores_zpse7428327.jpg

Best Regards,

In P3D v2.3 you don't need the AM anymore! Believe or not - it's up to you.

Spirit

This is my core activity with no affinity mask in the cfg:

Interesting, I am checking my fg file from my patch update and there is no affinity mask input but you say yours may have been updated!

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote!

Nick Sciortino

I may have added it months prior but I cannot recall .. and I do not have a note about adding it.

So, I just deleted it as I mentioned in the last post.

Best Regards,

Located at:

Start/All Programs/Lockheed Martin/Prepar3D V2/Learning Center and go to Tuning Guide.

Comments from the dev team on 2.3 and affinity settings - its not needed.

Yes. There are varied opinions out there of course depending on what kind of tests are being run, but you should see better paging performance using all cores. Our default affinity mask now uses all cores including HT cores. There may be some benefit to masking off the first HT core to give the primary thread more breathing room and/or masking off one core completely to trick the OS into not schedule tasks on the Prepar3D cores. All that said, the best one-size-fits-all setting we found given the current job scheduling technique is to let all cores work.

Beau Hollis

Rendering System Lead - Prepar3D® Team

We don't elevate our process priority, so Prepar3D won't choke other applications for processing resources. I would be very surprised if our changes to the default affinity mask caused any trouble in that respect Mr. Bob. Honestly, I would recommend giving the default configuration a good thorough chance, because we changed more than just the affinity mask to improve processor utilization. Our internal work scheduling should allow hyper threaded processors to realize improved paging performance without overloading the first physical core and lowering the frame-rate.

Zach Heylmun

Software Engineer - Prepar3D® Team

I love facts. They set you free. That's why I get my cable news from..............

Bob

Comments from the dev team on 2.3 and affinity settings - its not needed.

Glenn - thanks for the post, I guess I will not input it into the cfg..... Thanks

In P3D v2.3 you don't need the AM anymore! Believe or not - it's up to you.

Spirit

Spirit - I guess you were correct, thanks for posting....

Edited by n4gix
Removed excessive quote!

Nick Sciortino

Spirit - I guess you were correct, thanks for posting....

Enjoy your sim.

Spirit