Sign in to follow this  
dmreason

PSS 777 Radio Problems

I recently purchased the PSS 777 and like the aircraft quite a lot, however about 40 minutes into a 2 hour flight, both the com and nav radios quit working.  No ATC communications and no response from the nav radios, vor or ils.  I realize this is an older sim but I am still running FS9.  I have searched the forum for answers but not come up with anything.  This does not occur when I fly the iFly 737 which has similar systems, so it seems to be isolated to the 777. Seems to be an electrical issue that affects the radios, everything else works fine. Any ideas would be appreciated. 

however about 40 minutes into a 2 hour flight, both the com and nav radios quit working. No ATC communications and no response from the nav radios, vor or ils. I realize this is an older sim but I am still running FS9 ... Seems to be an electrical issue that affects the radios, everything else works fine. Any ideas would be appreciated.

Hi, dmreason,

I haven't flown the PSS 777 for awhile, and I don't recall this issue.  However a couple of questions:

1) Do you load a default Cessna before loading the 777?  This may or may not be in the manual but not doing so often causes problems.  It MAY set up the electrical systems properly.  Also, if I remember correctly it's better to load the 777 in cockpit view, and then switch to VC Cockpit view if you prefer to use that.

2) Are the radios turned on?

3) Are all the lights on the indicators turned off (indicating normal/no problem) on the overhead, especially those regarding the generators, battery, bus ties, etc.?

4) There is a synoptic view of the electrical system that can be displayed on several of the screens.  What does it show, especially when this issue comes up?

Wish I could give a more precise answer than this!

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

Thanks for the response:

1. Yes, load default Cessna first

2. Radios are on :  They actually work for the first 30-40 minutes of the flight

3. All lights and indicators on the overhead are displayed indicating Normal

4. Have not check the electrical system display when problem occurs, that may be a good idea.

What is interesting is that everything works as normal for 30-40 minutes into the flight then radios go out.

What is interesting is that everything works as normal for 30-40 minutes into the flight then radios go out.

Did a little searching and someone in another thread suggested Shift-M as necessary to turn on the radios (on the PSS 757 but they are pretty similar).  Not sure why, as my Shift-M is mapped to pan downward.  It does sound like some issue where the battery goes dead invisibly while everything, including the charging system, still appears to be working.  You said it affects ILS and VOR?  Does this mean that if you tune the correct frequency and are in range you still see no change to the VOR needles or ILS indications on the ND? 

Finally, sometimes in FSX the option to respond to ATC disappears for no known reason.  This may have happened in FS9 too.  But that sounds different from your problem.

Mike

bUmq4nJ.jpg?2

The only time I have seen issues like this is if you load the default Cessna and turn the avionics off  before loading the 777.  Do NOT do this with any PSS aircraft - you will get the weirdest set of electronic malfunctions that you can imagine.  I load the Cessna and then the 777 and have never seen the problem you describe.  The only thing I can suggest is that it may be that you have not configured the electrical system of the 777 properly and the battery has run down.

DJ

Thanks for all the responses

Just to recap:

1.  I load the default Cessna 2D Cockpit view, Master Battery switch on, Avionics switch on, everything else off

2. Select aircraft via dropdown menu in fs9 to PSS 777

3. Go through start up procedures with the T7, everything is working including radios

4. Take off, 50 min into flight radios fail, you can change Nav radio frequencies but get no response from gauge needles, no ils signal received. You cannot change frequency on com radio.

5. Checked overhead panel everything looks normal

6. Checked electrical display everything looks normal, Battery shows 28 volts, 0 amps load

7. Checked and have the required fonts installed and the *.dat file is in fs9 directory

Will try to uninstall and re-install aircraft, maybe a file has been corupted

Again Thanks for the responses, but now have it sorted out.

It seems that the radio stack for the T7 is not tied to the T7's electrical system at all, but is dependent on the initialization of the default Cessna, which must have

1. The Master Battery switch on

2. The Avionics switch on

3. The Alternator switch on (without the alternator switch on, the battery will run down and the radios will fail.)

Completed a 2.5 hour flight complete with ILS approach, both com and nav radios operated flawlessly with these conditions set.

Another interesting fact that I noticed is the electrical system for the T7 shows no amps load on the system during operation, that doesn't seem very realistic, but just an observation.

i never loaded the cessna before the pss b777 and never had a problem with the radios or electronics the only problem i have that some altitude callouts are missing especifiaclly the 2500, 500 and minimuns tried once loading the cessna but i didnt fix the callouts any thoughts

Sign in to follow this  
  • Tom Allensworth,
    Founder of AVSIM Online

• Flight Simulation's Premier Resource!

AVSIM is a free service to the flight simulation community. AVSIM is staffed completely by volunteers and all funds donated to AVSIM go directly back to supporting the community. Your donation here helps to pay our bandwidth costs, emergency funding, and other general costs that crop up from time to time. Thank you for your support!

Click here for more information and to see all donations year to date.