Sign in to follow this  
Ioan92

About KB2670838 and the side effects of removing it.

Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this so please correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically, I'm trying to switch over to DX10 and It seems I've hit a wall. I get the dreaded nonsensical d3d11.dll crashes. I see that the fix for that is to uninstall "KB2670838", which I have done. It seems that doing that however, has brought a nasty side effect in my FSX:

Plane to ground shadows (not self shadows) no longer have anti aliasing... Why?

Is there anyway to fix this? I'm using the latest drivers and the bioshock flag for AA is in my NI profile. I'm lost!

Any help?

Cheers!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

I removed 838 years ago and I dont have this problem, maybe it isnt related?

Ron Hamilton

"95% is half the truth, but most of it is lies, but if you read half of what is written, you'll be okay." __ Honey Boo Boo's Mom

Hello guys, I'm not sure if this is the place to post this so please correct me if I'm wrong.

So basically, I'm trying to switch over to DX10 and It seems I've hit a wall. I get the dreaded nonsensical d3d11.dll crashes. I see that the fix for that is to uninstall "KB2670838", which I have done. It seems that doing that however, has brought a nasty side effect in my FSX:

Plane to ground shadows (not self shadows) no longer have anti aliasing... Why?

Is there anyway to fix this? I'm using the latest drivers and the bioshock flag for AA is in my NI profile. I'm lost!

Any help?

Cheers!

I could have sworn when I switched to DX 10 those shadows had AA and now all of a sudden they don't. BTW, I dumped "KB2670838" a long time ago. Hope we find the problem.

Here is a Topic I started and no fix for me.

http://forum.avsim.net/topic/448948-aircraft-shadows-have-jaggies/

I removed 838 years ago and I dont have this problem, maybe it isnt related?

You probably have it fixed without knowing :S

I've verified that this is the issues by removing and reinstalling this update.

No KB2670838 = No shadow AA.

KB2670838 = AA Enabled on shadows, d3d11.dll crashes.

Ric, wanna try reinstalling that update? Tell me if it brings the shadows AA back.

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Heads up, I think I found a fix..

Although this defies logic, set AA to Override any application setting and then set an AA level through inspector, you can go for a match with the SF or anything else apparently. This fixes your shadow AA. (but be sure to have the Bioshock thingy on as well.)

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Hi Guys: This set me looking, too, as I had noticed this from time to time, but always put it down to the odd aircraft... - but I followed Ioan92's suggestion above, and found that he's dead right! It does not make sense, given what we know from past experience and testing, but it works!

Here's my current NI setting, still at 4x AA (set in the fsx.cfg - but also now added in NI as well, along with Ioan's "Over-ride" suggestion), 4x SGSS AA and 16x AF.  Turn off BioShock - and the ground shadows indeed have no AA, turn it back on, and AA is fine once again - so it definitely must be included there.

I reckon this may be a side effect of one of the MS Updates, perhaps - or one of this last years collection of NVidia drivers that have done "something". Whatever - life is good again!

All the Best,

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.

Hi Guys: This set me looking, too, as I had noticed this from time to time, but always put it down to the odd aircraft... - but I followed Ioan92's suggestion above, and found that he's dead right! It does not make sense, given what we know from past experience and testing, but it works!

Here's my current NI setting, still at 4x AA (set in the fsx.cfg - but also now added in NI as well, along with Ioan's "Over-ride" suggestion), 4x SGSS AA and 16x AF.  Turn off BioShock - and the ground shadows indeed have no AA, turn it back on, and AA is fine once again - so it definitely must be included there.

I reckon this may be a side effect of one of the MS Updates, perhaps - or one of this last years collection of NVidia drivers that have done "something". Whatever - life is good again!

All the Best,

pj

^ Gotta love this hobby, Paul!

Glad it's working now, phew!

xxwAU.pngUzJYY.png

Can confirm after thorough testing that removing the evil KB indeed makes aircraft shadows aliased, ON ATI GPU'S AS WELL. The other major side effect is that if you are an IE user, you must revert to IE9, because that KB is a PRE-REQUISITE for IE10 and, lastly, IE11.

And ultimately, I'm not even sure about the strict relation between the dreaded KB and d3d11.dll crashes. Had tons of those, solved them by going back to SweetFX 1.4 from 1.5.1

I'm not even sure about the strict relation between the dreaded KB and d3d11.dll crashes.

For sure removing and then re-copying the "Sweet stuff" would cure the crash which that app happens to cause, Lurk, but the original D3D11.dll crash was not only limited to FSX, as it affected many other games and applications, too. First reported a year or so ago, by a Steam user.

pj

i7 4790K@4.8GHz | 32GB RAM | EVGA RTX 3080Ti | Maximus Hero VII | 512GB 860 Pro | 512GB 850 Pro | 256GB 840 Pro | 2TB 860 QVO | 1TB 870 EVO | Seagate 3TB Cloud | EVGA 1000 GQ | Win10 Pro | EK Custom water cooling.