Sign in to follow this  
Bobbybass

Help for a newcomer.... Please...?

Hi everybody. I am very confused and need some advice...(pity please.. :huh: )

I am putting togther a powerful machine....and want to gradually build a cockpit.

I would like to run the visuals on the powerful machine and network several lesser together for avionics.

I looked at Ifly cockpit builder and thought it looked easy to use ?. It seemed easy to click on a client icon and it linked to the main server.

I looked at P3D and thought it looked amazing, but couldn't find simple information about networking ?

Other people talk about simulators like  PMDG ??

I then saw some items on these forums about..what is the best 737NG for P3D..?

This confuses me.

I have used FSX for some years..and you get some included planes..

If I buy P3D do I not get a 737 ?.

Do I have to buy a 737 from another supplier and then use that as a 'frame' to hang P3D on ?

Also (and I guess this is a 'can of worms'..) what is the best to buy ?

Ifly...P3D...PMDG..FSX...?

What confuses me is that it 'seems' that you buy P3D then you have to buy add ons..?

Here is my first question.....If I buy P3D do I get the complete unit with a plane (737) and basic weather and the ability to fly it with a basic Saitek Yoke ..Pedals and panel..and can then build out from that ?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

Bob

Here is my first question.....If I buy P3D do I get the complete unit with a plane (737) and basic weather and the ability to fly it with a basic Saitek Yoke ..Pedals and panel..and can then build out from that ?

Thank you for any advice you can give me.

You will get default aircraft with weather and ATC etc and Saitek will definitely work. But the  reason everyone buys addons is that the quality is so much better. As for PMDG and P3D, it ain't gonna happen. If you are adamant on PMDG, you will need FSX only.

Good luck!

Mario Di Lauro

You will get default aircraft with weather and ATC etc and Saitek will definitely work. But the  reason everyone buys addons is that the quality is so much better. As for PMDG and P3D, it ain't gonna happen. If you are adamant on PMDG, you will need FSX only.

Good luck!

Thank you for taking the time to reply..but I am still a little 'lost'.

I like P3D...so presumably..I don't need to buy PMDG and I don't need to use FSX ?

That is what is confusing me..but some people on the forums have talked of using P3D with FSX..?..which I don't get..?

I liked the look of P3D so ....in light of what you said..I can buy that..and use default 737NG and default traffic and weather ..?...no..?

I can then have add ons for great weather..?..clouds..?..

I can get add ons for traffic (no?)

I have a FMC panel....and this doesn't work in FSX but will it work in P3D or do I buy add ons again..?

My interpretation ( sorry if I have got this wrong)...with P3D I can use it as my base for a physical cockpit and then add things as I go..?..I don't need FSX or Ifly or any other simulators..?

Sorry if I am (as we say in England)...a bit 'thick'...

Bob

Prepar3D is a complete flight simulation software.

At this point, it comes with a lot of very nice aircraft, but no 737.  You "could" port over your FSX 737 and it will work.

Just like FSX, you can purchase add-on's to your liking.

PMDG aircraft are a no-no "at-this-time" with P3d, however, from all understanding, their have been talks about PMDG releasing a P3D compliant 737NGX and other PMDG products later on.

I have NOT seen any other threads stating that the talks are "off".

Look at P3d at the latest, and completely supported flight simulation program out there.  With good, hi-quality up-dates and a very progressive development team............

MS has abandoned FSX years ago.........so, you make the choice.

I left FSX almost 3 years ago for P3D....and haven't looked back.  Granted, I had tons of hi-cost add-on's, but I spent more time tweaking FSX than flying.  That is no longer the case with

P3d.

Tom

Prepar3D is a complete flight simulation software.

At this point, it comes with a lot of very nice aircraft, but no 737.  You "could" port over your FSX 737 and it will work.

Just like FSX, you can purchase add-on's to your liking.

PMDG aircraft are a no-no "at-this-time" with P3d, however, from all understanding, their have been talks about PMDG releasing a P3D compliant 737NGX and other PMDG products later on.

I have NOT seen any other threads stating that the talks are "off".

Look at P3d at the latest, and completely supported flight simulation program out there.  With good, hi-quality up-dates and a very progressive development team............

MS has abandoned FSX years ago.........so, you make the choice.

I left FSX almost 3 years ago for P3D....and haven't looked back.  Granted, I had tons of hi-cost add-on's, but I spent more time tweaking FSX than flying.  That is no longer the case with

P3d.

Tom

Thanks..

I'm starting to get the 'gist' of this...(maybe..?.. :wacko: )

Am I right in think though...that if I port over my 737 from FSX items like the FMC/CDU will still not work.?. My MCP works..but not the FMC.

In light of what you have said....what would be a good 737NG to port over...and would I end up buying another simulator program to do this..?

Some else asked about using the IFLY 737 with P3D....in which case I 'guess' I have to buy an IFLY package to 'steal' the 737 ?

Once again....I have studied some guy who is running P3D with Project Magenta...and I thought Magenta was also a 'stand alone'..

Thank you all for being so helpful and speedy.

Bob

Just go with the P3D version of the iFLY 737 and you'll be set if you want a Boeing.  Its a great aircraft.

I would also suggest you do a lot more reading on the subject of cockpits, flightsim networking  and the like before you dive in.  Plan out your strategy if you are going big time with a cockpit.  They are several sub-forums and other websites devoted to cockpits.  Orbx has a pretty good thread on their forums called something like "show us your cockpit" where you can see lots of other simmer setups and get good ideas for planning yours.

Good luck...

Intel i9-12900KF, Asus Prime Z690-A MB, 64GB DDR5 6000 RAM, (3) SK hynix M.2 SSD (2TB ea.), 16TB Seagate HDD, EVGA GeForce 3080 Ti, Corsair iCUE H70i AIO Liquid Cooler, UHD/Blu-ray Player/Burner (still have lots of CDs, DVDs!)  Windows 10, (hold off for now on Win11),  EVGA 1300W PSU
Netgear 1Gbps modem & router, (3) 27" 1440 wrap-around displays
Full array of Saitek and GoFlight hardware for the cockpit

Bob,

Clutch Cargo is absolutely correct.

Yes, you can "port" over "most" FSX aircraft - just copy the aircraft folder you want, such as Cessna 172 - BUT, in a lot of cases, like with the FSX 737, you also have to copy over "Fonts / Guages / and in some cases the "Sound" files from FSX and put in their respective folder in FSX.

A program such as Esotonian Migration Tool  will allow you to install some "pay-ware" aircraft that is for strictly FSX....but when it comes to the "default" aircraft in FSX, you have to copy folders and files.

Just try P3d for a month, 9.95 and see if you like it.....just don't make too much of a fuss about what you can and cannot do UNTIL you've tried it.

Tom