Sign in to follow this  

Looking for something bigger

I usually only fly GA and usually only one plane for months: currently it's the A2A Cherokee 180. However, after flying GA only for a long, long time I suddenly feel the need to maybe give a bigger plane a try. Now I've flown the big ones out there in my FSX days (PMDG MD-11, 737NGX, Airbus X plus a few other before those) but while I enjoyed flying those, I never liked the fact that I flew unrealistic short flights with them. I like to start with the descent as soon as I reach TOC, usually.  ^_^ So now I started to look at planes that were a bit smaller but still have some of the extra stuff bigger planes bring (FMC, overhead, well, more buttons, really!). In other words, something that's a bit in between the 737NGX and the Cherokee 180. And obviously it has to work with P3D 2.3!

Well, pretty soon it seemed that the plane I should be looking at would be the Majestic MJC8 Q400... It seems to have all I am looking for. Right? But I was curious if I was overlooking some other possibilities so hence this post. What plane would you suggest I would get? Is the Q400 indeed, as I am reading everywhere, the best out there? Or is it maybe a bit too complicated? Are you spending just as much time on ground with it as in the air? I don't mind some groundwork but in the end I want to fly!

EDIT

Had a look at the Q400 tutorial and I noticed it's a bit too much for me right now. Guess I need something more simple... Maybe no FMC. I thought I wanted something complicated but while reading that tutorial I thought 'Oh, no, not that again...' It reminded me why I stopped flying airliners LOL. Maybe I should look for a GA which has some sophisticated but more simple bells and whistles...

I am looking forward to your suggestions!

No,
The Q400 is perfect. It's as good as any aircraft you can buy, end of.
The only two aircraft I have installed in P3D 2.3 are the A2A Cherokee 180 and the Q400.

If you find it a bit to much and it is hard to get going with, PM me you email and I will send you my flows.

Waste no more time, you only like the best and PMDG are not for 2.3 and for short hopes and a FL around FL170 the Q400 is by a long way the one to go for. Pefect for Orbx regions.

One of the nice things with the Q400 is your on the go all the time, even in AP. No AT so your always keeping an eye on speed
It's a great aircraft and the work rate is high, so don't think short op's are AP and nothing to do....it's no NGX/777. I would say you need AP more in the Q400 than the NGX/777 for climb. Approch like the NGX/777 once lined up, AP OFF, time to take the Q400 in and its fun

After reading your "EDIT"
You Don't even need to use the FMS if you don't want to. Because there always short flight you add in about 4 way points and you add in your fuel, that it. Nothing like the NGX FMC, nothing like.
You don't even need to use VNAV as you can use ATC and take there vectors to bring you to the RWY. I use that way with the Q400.

It really is not hard.

The A2A Cherokee 180 is very simple to fly and get very little reward from a flight for flying the aeroplane its more the nav that's intresting. The Q400 is very rewarding getting it from A - B. 

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

Fenix A320 Walkthrough PDF   Flightsim.to •

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

I think your impression of the Q400 is absolutely right. It is a wonderful add-on but yes, if you want to fly it properly then you need to spend some preparation time prior to every flight which you sometimes might just not have or just not want to invest. Sure, there are folks around this forum who fire up the Q400 so that it barely flies, not following any procedures, no FMC, no nothing, and then do 80nm flights with it, but from my point of view this is a joke. These types if flights are definitely better done with the Cherokee. And its more fun for this type of flying. The Q400 is just no plane to do a quick 1 hour all-inclusive evening flight.

When I read your post, the Phenom came to my mind. It's systems are rather simple (too simple for me) but it has more buttons and things to do than the Cherokee, is fast and can land at many airports. Firing it up is quick and easy.

Another suggestion is the Aerosoft Twin Otter. Great plane and also a moderate systems simulation. I like it much better than the Phenom.

i7-10700K@5.0GHz ∣ Asus ROG Strix Gaming Z490-E Gaming ∣ 32Gb@3600MHz ∣ AMD Radeon 6900 XT

The Captain Sim L-1011 (heavy) is an excellent add-on. You can simply use the default flight planner and it will follow it. It`s a beautiful aircraft and work EXTREMELY well with P3D v2.3. Highly recommended.

Mario Di Lauro

Yes you need pre flight and yes you need to use the FMC to enter NAV and fuel. Once you know what's what it really does not take long and 1 hour flight are about right for the Q400, Orbx ENG, Jersey to Cardiff, perfect.

Yes it will take a few nights to get to grips with it, but pre flight really does not take long to do right.

If your going to have a 2nd aircraft have a aircraft not a want to be.

David Murden  MSFS   Fenix A320  PMDG 737 • MG Honda Jet • 414 / TDS 750Xi •  FS-ATC Chatter • FlyingIron Spitfire & ME109G • MG Honda Jet 

DCS  A10c II  F-16c  F/A-18c • F-14 • (Others in hanger) • Supercarrier  Terrains = • Nevada NTTR  Persian Gulf  Syria • Marianas • 

• 10900K@4.9 All Cores HT ON   32GB DDR4  3200MHz RTX 3080  • TM Warthog HOTAS • TM TPR • Corsair Virtuoso XT with Dolby Atmos®  Samsung G7 32" 1440p 240Hz • TrackIR 5 & ProClip

If you really don't want to get the Q400, wait for RealAir DukeV2

So now I started to look at planes that were a bit smaller but still have some of the extra stuff bigger planes bring (FMC, overhead, well, more buttons, really!). In other words, something that's a bit in between the 737NGX and the Cherokee 180. And obviously it has to work with P3D 2.3!

EDIT

Had a look at the Q400 tutorial and I noticed it's a bit too much for me right now. Guess I need something more simple... Maybe no FMC. I thought I wanted something complicated but while reading that tutorial I thought 'Oh, no, not that again...' It reminded me why I stopped flying airliners LOL. Maybe I should look for a GA which has some sophisticated but more simple bells and whistles...

The obvious choice is the Aerosoft Twin Otter Extended.

This Twotter, the A2A Cherokee and the Realair Lancair Legacy are the only planes I use currently in P3D2. The Legacy will be updated for P3D soon, it has a few sound issues now

The nice thing about the Twotter is that you get many models (wheels, tundra, float and amphibian), it is STOL, and it is complex enough (Turboprop) to keep you busy, but it is not too complicated . And it is light on the frame rates!

It does not have Accusim, but there are some similar features, lots of icing stuff, and the interactive checklist is wonderful.

Highly recommended by me  :lol:.

Qualitywing 146 is very nice and simple and supported in P3Dv2.

They are also workng on the 787 and 737, if you can wait.

+1 for the twin otter.

Jazz

The Twotter would be a great choice and is an excellent recommendation.

For more of a commercial airliner the QW-146 package and the  L-1011 previously mentioned are both excellent but, my recommendation for a commercial airliner that can be used realistically for short hauls without much pre-flight prep would be the Milviz B737-200.  Great sound and visuals and is a joy to hand fly. Has the option with or without FMS. 95% of the time I fly mine without it using the basic Sperry AP in conjunction with its Control Wheel Steering system. 

I own all of the above and you can't go wrong with any of them.

RE Thomason Jr.

I agree with Carlito on both counts - the Phenom and the Twotter are quite good. but I DO love the q400 when I have the time to do a proper preflight and setup. B ut just jump in and fly - Twotter/Phenom are it.

Vic

RIG#1 - 7700K 5.0g ROG X270F 3600 15-15-15 - EVGA RTX 3090 1000W PSU 1- 850G EVO SSD, 2-256G OCZ SSD, 1TB,HAF942-H100 Water W1064Pro
40" 4K Monitor 3840x2160 - AS16, ASCA, GEP3D, UTX, Toposim, ORBX Regions, TrackIR
RIG#2 - 3770K 4.7g Asus Z77 1600 7-8-7 GTX1080ti DH14 850W 2-1TB WD HDD,1tb VRap, Armor+ W10 Pro 2 - HannsG 28" Monitors

I usually only fly GA and usually only one plane for months: currently it's the A2A Cherokee 180. However, after flying GA only for a long, long time I suddenly feel the need to maybe give a bigger plane a try. Now I've flown the big ones out there in my FSX days (PMDG MD-11, 737NGX, Airbus X plus a few other before those) but while I enjoyed flying those, I never liked the fact that I flew unrealistic short flights with them. I like to start with the descent as soon as I reach TOC, usually.  ^_^ So now I started to look at planes that were a bit smaller but still have some of the extra stuff bigger planes bring (FMC, overhead, well, more buttons, really!). In other words, something that's a bit in between the 737NGX and the Cherokee 180. And obviously it has to work with P3D 2.3!

Well, pretty soon it seemed that the plane I should be looking at would be the Majestic MJC8 Q400... It seems to have all I am looking for. Right? But I was curious if I was overlooking some other possibilities so hence this post. What plane would you suggest I would get? Is the Q400 indeed, as I am reading everywhere, the best out there? Or is it maybe a bit too complicated? Are you spending just as much time on ground with it as in the air? I don't mind some groundwork but in the end I want to fly!

EDIT

Jeroen,

don't miss the DQ400. I also was very hesitant, but it was much less complicated than I expected. If one knows some principles of FMC flying it is not such a big deal. I am still far from beeing perfect but good enough to to plan and start a short flight within 20 minutes. And, if I can do it, most of the fellows here can do it. Now I am going for a short trip from EIDW to EGPH od EGDD not yet sure ....

Cheers,

Harry

- Harry 

i9-13900K (HT off, 5.5 GHz, Z690) - 32 GB RAM (DDR5 6400, CAS 34), RTX 3090Windows 11 Pro (1TB M.2) - MSFS 2020 (MS Store, on separate 4TB M.2).

+1 for the Aerosoft Twin Otter, hand flies beautifully, will follow the default FSX GPS path, it's ground behaviour isn't great, it needs 50% power to move and then handles like a Ferrari with a broken track rod.  I would say on the ground it is more difficult to handle than the 777.

You should really consider the Q400, it's quite possibly the best aircraft in FSX at the moment, well definitely within the top 3.

Ian R Tyldesley