Sign in to follow this  
spilok

Anyone ever flown this in real life?

In October, my Wife and I are traveling from New York to Viet Nam.  I'm an office equipment dealer/owner, and this year's dealer trip (if you qualify...and we did) is to Viet Nam and Cambodia.  I've heard that this is now one of the world's most phenomenal new "destinations".  I would never have believed it, if I didn't research it.

However, it looks like the best flight is from JFK on Korean Airlines to Seoul (Incheon), and from there to Hanoi.  Flight time looks like about 19 hours (whew!).  Korean Air is flying the Airbus A-380, and I'm going to book Business Class Seats for my Wife and me.  After a few days there, we will be flying to Cambodia, and in a few more days, back to Hanoi.  Then back to New York. 

I really don't know if I should be excited about this trip or not.  We will be treated like royalty from our manufacturer/ sponsor, and stay in the finest 5 star hotels in Hanoi and Cambodia.  All expenses are paid except the seat upgrade (about $5000 per person round trip).

Anyone ever taken a trip like this?  The flight time and destination give me mixed feelings, but I guess I should be very grateful to be in this situation that many could only dream about.

Stan

I did a flight in that same direction 2 years ago. I took Cathay Pacific (JFK-Hong kong) 16 plus hours, Stayed in Hong Kong for two days conference and sight seeing. Continued on Hong Kong to Beijing 3 plus hours (4 days conference, I climed the great wall of China, once in a life time expereience). Back to Hong Kong and then to New York. All four legs on T7-300. Cathay is the best service and comfort.

C:|mydocuments\mypictures\my signature.htm

Congrats on being a "Trip Winner"! Don't forget that you get to pay taxes on that

all-expenses-paid trip.  Been there, done that, being a Service Trip Winner

with Ricoh...UGH!  The business class upgrade will make the trip more

enjoyable, especially if this is a once in a lifetime thing.  I'd go for it!

My only trip to Viet Nam was on an aircraft carrier in 1971.

Charlie Aron

Awaiting the new Microsoft Flight Sim and the purchase of a new system.  Running a Chromebook for now! :cool:

You're happy to spend $131 per person, per hour.............on a slightly larger seat?  I'm sure you'll have a great trip Stan, but I'd certainly want to find something else to spend $10,000 on, especially as for maybe half of that I'd be asleep!

Cheers

Paul Golding

Who said I was "happy" about it?  My Wife had back (spine) surgery a few years back, and I just thought it would be very, very difficult to do this trip in regular seating.  PLUS, I suppose that if you're able to do it and it's not a financial problem or hardship, it might be quite an enjoyable way to fly that far.  It's not just the seats....there's a lot more that comes with flying in that section (as some of you know).

I did LA to China in 06 (16+hours) coach, the seat in front of me was in my knees, I was able to leave my seat for short periods to stand but that was of little help.

It appears that you are able and certainly are justified with your Brides health history, it will be well worth the extra investment. I wouldn't go again unless I could at least set in business.

Share your experience when you get back, enjoy.

Well, I was there from 69-73 but for a different reason. I would like to visit though as I know much has changed.

Enjoy my friend, life is way too short.

Bob

We will be staying at the following hotels:    Hanoi  -  Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel Hanoi  (5 stars)

Cambodia  -  Belmond La Residence d'Angkor

and Bob,  Thank you for your service to our Country.

Stan

We will be staying at the following hotels:    Hanoi  -  Sofitel Legend Metropole Hotel Hanoi  (5 stars)

Cambodia  -  Belmond La Residence d'Angkor

and Bob,  Thank you for your service to our Country.

Stan

Thanks Stan, I love my country!

Bob

Anyone ever taken a trip like this?  The flight time and destination give me mixed feelings, but I guess I should be very grateful to be in this situation that many could only dream about.

Stan

My wife and I traveled to Vietnam last year - traveled from Hong Kong to Singapore, stopping in Hanoi, DaNang, and Saigon.

Amazing experience!   Hustle bustle cities, friendly people, interesting culture - great experience overall.

Bert

Stan

Wow, Bert.  Looks like you had some tremendous experiences, and now some wonderful memories.

Stan

..not to mention lots of photographs ^_^

Just one piece of advice, when crossing the busy streets in Hanoi, stick together with other people and keep moving.

You will be surrounded by hundreds of little motorscooters that will avoid you as long as they understand where you are going..

Bert