Sign in to follow this  
Tiago1991

Which PSU & Cooling - New PC set up

Hi folks!

I'm considering to get this new PC set up for my aviation study, enthusiasm, office, etc. So not for flight sim only.

This is the set up what I'm considering about. 

GPU 1 x GTX 780 3 GB (GDDR5, 384 Bit)
CPU 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, 4,0 GHz (4,4 GHz Turbo Boost) 
SSD 2 x Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW, 500 GB SSD
MOBO 1 x ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER, socket 1150 
RAM 1 x G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1866 (4x4)
HOUSING 1 x Corsair Carbide 500R
PSU 1 x ...?
Cooling 1 x ...?

I've some questions about the last two components. I really don't no what to choose.

Q1: What kind of PSU should you take for the best efficient power and how many power (watt) will that be? -> 750, 850, 950, etc?

Q2: In future I'd like to overclock the CPU a bit (4,5 - 4,9 GHz). What kind of cooling system should you recommend (Fan or Hydro, etc)

if you noticed something strange in my PC configuration or recommend a better component,
please do not hesitate to give your opinion and knowledge! :smile:

750 W is sufficient, but get a good quality, brand name PSU.   That way it will run cool and quiet.

Example: Corsair HX or AX series.  AX760i would be a good choice.

Lots of choices for cooling - I'll let others jump in.

I think you'll be quite impressed with what the 4790K/GTX780 combination will deliver "out of the box".

Once you do consider OC.. read this:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

(note a 4790K is a factory overclocked 4770K, same CPU)

Bert

Power supply

Depending on what you want to spend - personally I have both and I am using supernova - its awesome for the money - I have a generation before this one below 1200w Corsair top of the line - thought it was going on me  but was a bad overclock - so the EVGA has been great for the price

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817438013&cm_re=evga_supernova-_-17-438-013-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139039&cm_re=corsair_1200-_-17-139-039-_-Product

==========================================================================================

Water cooler 

No brainer just incredible

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032&cm_re=corsair_water_cooling-_-35-181-032-_-Product

Hers a screen shot of the utility that comes with the cooler - great for cranking up the fans for simming - just make a profile for normal use and lets say flight bam - one super cool cpu - amazing want to water cool my Titan next - you can also change the color of the light on the cpu cooler block with this utility

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835181032&cm_re=corsair_water_cooling-_-35-181-032-_-Product

257zogh.jpg

Rich Sennett

Allright,

Thank you very much for the Info Bert & Richard!

I looked up for the PSU and I'm thinking about these ones.

- Corsair RM850, Corsair AX-760i or AX-860

The only thing what make me doubt is that I see a lot of systems with almost 900 or 1000+ watt.

So I want to be sure that 760 or 860 sould be enough!

Allright,

Thank you very much for the Info Bert & Richard!

The 900 1000 watt is for future addition of an sli setup - if you dont plan on adding another video card 860 will do fine - with flightsim I have always gone for overkill as we all know it will use it - I would re-think that corsair choice - I have a better comfort feeling with the evga as I am not having any problems with my OC since I switched it from a corsair - might be a placebo but I am not going to question it

Rich Sennett

I'm with Bert on the PSU suggestions.

The PSU thing has always been a marketing tactic (successful) .... Those 1000w psu's are only needed for people with cold cathode lighting, quad SLI, and many hard drives.

I even have an overkill one 750w

I measured my system with kill a watt and at peak (not including led monitor) it used 360w - that was overclocked to 4.4 ghz and placed under load from 3dmark 11 and also IBT

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Capacity is important, but as other guys pointed out; quality trumps all. Models mentioned are excellent. You may also want to check out Seasonic.

As Richard suggested, go with liquid cooling.

Graham

Thank you very much for al the great feedback! After some big researches with many people I orded this new set up.

1 x Corsair Carbide Air 540
3 x be quiet! Shadow Wings SW1 140 mm PWM
1 x be quiet! Shadow Rock 2
1 x GIGABYTE GV-N780OC-3GD GTX780
1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, 4,0 GHz (4,4 GHz Turbo Boost)
1 x Corsair RM750
1 x Samsung SH-224DB/BEBE
2 x Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW 500 GB SSD
1 x MSI Z97-G55 SLI, socket 1150
1 x Seagate Barracuda 7200.14, 2 TB
1 x GeIL 16 GB DDR3-1600 Quad-Kit

1 x OS W7 64-bit

:)

You will be very happy with that setup!

One lesson I learned the hard way.. mount the PSU fan up, not fan down or it will

run hot at idle  B)

Bert

When someone points you in the direction of the H100i, and claims it's a "no brainier", take it with a pinch of salt. In reality, there are a number of coolers out there that cool better and quieter.

So no, it's not a no brainer at all. The NH-D14, and the new D15 for example cool better and quieter, and as they are air coolers have absolutely zero chance of leaking. Yes, AIO water coolers can and do leak. It might be rather uncommon, but it happens. Manufacturers don't publish data in regard to how many units leak, compared with the quantity sold, so we will never know for sure. We can merely assume leaks are relatively rare.

If you are happy with the [we presume] small risk of an AIO cooler leaking onto your precious hardware, then do look at the H110. You will need an enclosure that can accommodate it, but it's pretty much the best cooler out there for cooling and silence.

If you would rather go for air, then look at the new NH-D15. It has better RAM clearance than the D14, and will be whisper quiet. Remember, the D14 is a legendary cooler that still competes against all but the very best AIO coolers.

If as you say, you may overclock "a little", then the Thermalight Archon SB-EX2 will be perfectly adequate for your needs. It's very quiet, cools superbly for a single tower design, and has no RAM clearance issues.

If you do like the look of the D15, or D14, then don't worry about using low profile RAM. Super tall  heat sinks on RAM modules are just a gimmick, not required even with high overclocks.

What I won't do though, is claim any of the coolers above are no brainers.

As for PSU's, if you try one of the many PSU calculators out there they will estimate your wattage requirements. Theoretically, 650 watt would be adequate. However, it's always prudent to add extra wattage for capacitor ware, especially if you intend to keep you PSU long term. The other factor to mention, is that by adding extra wattage, you accommodate any future upgrades. Something else worth mentioning, is that higher wattage PSU's, run further away from max load, thus the heat generated is lower, and thus the fan or fans run slower and quieter. 

I would agree with Burt, and say that 750 watt is adequate.

When choosing a PSU, don't forget to check how many amps on the 12 volt rail your graphics card requires. Make sure your choice of PSU covers this requirement.

My recommendation is for Seasonic PSU's. Superb quality.

I agree with Burt, I prefer to mount my PSU's fan up as well. Many cases that have mesh or grills on the enclosure floor for a down mounted PSU are restrictive in my view. Up is better, but make sure you cover the PSU when you work on it, just in case you drop a screw inside.

750 W is sufficient, but get a good quality, brand name PSU.   That way it will run cool and quiet.

Example: Corsair HX or AX series.  AX760i would be a good choice.

Lots of choices for cooling - I'll let others jump in.

I think you'll be quite impressed with what the 4790K/GTX780 combination will deliver "out of the box".

Once you do consider OC.. read this:

http://www.simforums.com/forums/haswell-48ghz-on-air-building-a-haswell-system_topic46180.html

(note a 4790K is a factory overclocked 4770K, same CPU)

They are the same CPU but a 4790K has a better thermal paste and more capacitors to make the OC more stable at lower voltages.

Hi folks!

I'm considering to get this new PC set up for my aviation study, enthusiasm, office, etc. So not for flight sim only.

This is the set up what I'm considering about. 

GPU 1 x GTX 780 3 GB (GDDR5, 384 Bit)
CPU 1 x Intel® Core™ i7-4790K, 4,0 GHz (4,4 GHz Turbo Boost) 
SSD 2 x Samsung 840 EVO MZ-7TE500BW, 500 GB SSD
MOBO 1 x ASUS MAXIMUS VII RANGER, socket 1150 
RAM 1 x G.Skill 16 GB DDR3-1866 (4x4)
HOUSING 1 x Corsair Carbide 500R
PSU 1 x ...?
Cooling 1 x ...?

I've some questions about the last two components. I really don't no what to choose.

Q1: What kind of PSU should you take for the best efficient power and how many power (watt) will that be? -> 750, 850, 950, etc?

Q2: In future I'd like to overclock the CPU a bit (4,5 - 4,9 GHz). What kind of cooling system should you recommend (Fan or Hydro, etc)

if you noticed something strange in my PC configuration or recommend a better component,
please do not hesitate to give your opinion and knowledge! :smile:

I use an H110 its keeps me the the mid 40c's under full load at 4.5ghz. If you want to hit 4.8-4.9 your going to need a liquid cooler as air just wont cut it

ATP MEL,CFI,CFII,MEI.