Sign in to follow this  
virginblue737

FPS Locked VS FPS Unlimited

Okay guys, 

So i am stuck in a big dilemma that has been on my mind for a while now. The question being, should i run FPS locked at 30 in the sim, or lock it with NI at 30 and set FPS to unlimited in the sim... Here is the dilemna

FPS unlimited - I get better FPS with it set to unlimited, but i find i get more stutters and also blurry scenery with unlimited FPS, but i get more frame rates, and it makes flying into ORBX Brisbane do able, and also having good fps is enjoyable... But again i am getting the blurries and stutters

FPS Locked - It seems with it locked in the sim i dont get as many blurries and also the stutters go away. But i dont get as many FPS locked then i do when i have it unlimited...

So does anyone know of any good tweaks or a way to bump up the FPS with locked in the sim, without making flight sim look horrible?

Any suggestions i am happy to take into consideration :) 

Edit - System specs are : I5 4670k 4.4Ghz, GTX 770 and 8GB of ram 

Hi,

Regardless of what the FPS numbers say when you're flying with them locked in the sim, is it smooth and "flyable"? If so, turn off the counter, use THAT setting and enjoy!

Respectfully,

Brian

Those are exactly the trade-offs... locked = better texture loading, unlimited = blurries + stutters.

All you can do is lower some settings... traffic, shadows, autogen etc until you get the right balance.

For me, locked fps wins out  B)

Lock at 30 in FSX, and set Vsynch to 1/2 refresh rate in Nvidia Inspector.

Turn off framerate counter and go and fly!

Some users have multiple Settings saved and switch in flight...  Alt/Options/Settings/Save and /Load..

Bert

I always suffered from various levels of stutters but I read on a forum that if you matched your monitor screen refresh rate with your frames per second slider they would go away. I did that and now I fly without stutters (60 and 60) for my set-up.

Hope this helps.

John G

Those are exactly the trade-offs... locked = better texture loading, unlimited = blurries + stutters.

All you can do is lower some settings... traffic, shadows, autogen etc until you get the right balance.

For me, locked fps wins out  B)

Lock at 30 in FSX, and set Vsynch to 1/2 refresh rate in Nvidia Inspector.

Turn off framerate counter and go and fly!

Some users have multiple Settings saved and switch in flight...  Alt/Options/Settings/Save and /Load..

Thanks for your reply Do you use any other tweaks ? I think i might just put some settings to the left

Hi,

Regardless of what the FPS numbers say when you're flying with them locked in the sim, is it smooth and "flyable"? If so, turn off the counter, use THAT setting and enjoy!

Respectfully,

Brian

I would say yes it is smooth and flyable its just abit laggy 

I always suffered from various levels of stutters but I read on a forum that if you matched your monitor screen refresh rate with your frames per second slider they would go away. I did that and now I fly without stutters (60 and 60) for my set-up.

Hope this helps.

John G

This is interesting, might give it ago when i get home :) Thanks

I have a GTX 760 and use unlimited FPS and get a smooth 60 FPS. I use vsync and triple buffering on the Nvidia control panel.

I recently got rid of some stuttering by using these settings in the fsx.cfg

[bufferPools]
UsePools=1
PoolSize=390000000
RejectThreshold=262144

I think I'm currently CPU bound (3.4 Ghz)  so I have to have lower traffic and autogen settings but even so I am able to get a nice smooth 60 FPS.

I also limited my texture sizes back to the default 1024. I honestly couldn't tell much difference with 4096 textures, and 1024 fixes some of the blurry landscape problems.

Don't worry about FPS, what you want is smooth image rendering.

My computer: ABS Gladiator Gaming PC featuring an Intel 10700F CPU, EVGA CLC-240 AIO cooler (dead fans replaced with Noctua fans), Asus Tuf Gaming B460M Plus motherboard, 16GB DDR4-3000 RAM, 1 TB NVMe SSD, EVGA RTX3070 FTW3 video card, dead EVGA 750 watt power supply replaced with Antec 900 watt PSU.

This is also what I have been unsure of and have been tinkering with different settings in both FSX and P3D to find what works best on my machine.

From EGFF to YSSY

I have a GTX 760 and use unlimited FPS and get a smooth 60 FPS. I use vsync and triple buffering on the Nvidia control panel.

I recently got rid of some stuttering by using these settings in the fsx.cfg

[bufferPools]

UsePools=1

PoolSize=390000000

RejectThreshold=262144

I think I'm currently CPU bound (3.4 Ghz)  so I have to have lower traffic and autogen settings but even so I am able to get a nice smooth 60 FPS.

I also limited my texture sizes back to the default 1024. I honestly couldn't tell much difference with 4096 textures, and 1024 fixes some of the blurry landscape problems.

Do you limit the FPS to 60 in the sim? 

Do you limit the FPS to 60 in the sim? 

No, I set it to the maximum Unlimited option in the FSX menu, but have the following lines under [Graphics] in fsx.cfg to lock to 60.

[Graphics]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

I also use triple buffering and vsync in the Nvidia control panel. Together, all these options mean that FSX can do as much rendering as it possibly can (using three buffers), while the FPS is still locked to 60.

Triple buffering isn't so good for twitch games because of the increased latency, but for flight sims it's perfect.

I find I sometimes have to switch in-flight. With the planes I fly, I get fps around 50-100 which is too high and causes stutters, so I usually lock it to 30. However, at big airports, fps drops to the teens or to 10 or below (EGLL). So I have it unlimited at these airports which makes fps jump up to a much more acceptable level (upper teens, 20). I switch using the in-flight menu.

I set mine to Unlimited and use the fps limiter in Nvidia Inspector, set to 30.  If the simulation is tuned to really run things at the maximum level that you're capable of, the 5 to 10 average fps decrease caused by the FSX Limiter straddles that slim margin.  25 fps on approach to a big trafficky airport, is acceptable.  15 is not.  The reason I use fps limiting at all is because I feel that the experience benefits from consistency.  If the sim is going along at 60 and then drops down to 20 it bothers me, but if it's always hovering around 30, then the simulated world seems more harmonious.

No, I set it to the maximum Unlimited option in the FSX menu, but have the following lines under [Graphics] in fsx.cfg to lock to 60.

[Graphics]

HIGHMEMFIX=1

ForceFullScreenVSync=1

ALLOW_SHADER_30=1

I also use triple buffering and vsync in the Nvidia control panel. Together, all these options mean that FSX can do as much rendering as it possibly can (using three buffers), while the FPS is still locked to 60.

Triple buffering isn't so good for twitch games because of the increased latency, but for flight sims it's perfect.

Wait a minute, there is nothing in those settings listed that have anything to do with locking frames. To be locked at 60 as you say, something has to be locking FPS. If not internally, then it has to be external.

Wait a minute, there is nothing in those settings listed that have anything to do with locking frames. To be locked at 60 as you say, something has to be locking FPS. If not internally, then it has to be external.

It's the line 'ForceFullScreenVSync=1' that locks it to your monitor frequency. I think it also needs to be set in the nvidia control panel 'Vsync:On'. My monitor is at 60hz so that's what it locks to. So I get a smooth 60 fps. You can check it by pressing ctrl-z twice and the fps is shown in the top left of FSX.

This will only apply if you're in full screen mode by the way (alt-enter)

At medium sized airports I still get 60 most of the time, but I have MyTraffic installed with the traffic sliders around 30%. With default traffic AI I think I had the sliders slightly lower. And autogen is set to normal on mine. But these are limited by CPU. All my graphics settings are at max (apart from clouds)

Don't worry about FPS, what you want is smooth image rendering.

This is partially true though....  At 15 fps nothing is smooth imho....  30fps is where it starts to become smooth, as long as the variance isn't much (variance of fps creates stutters)  60fps with 60hz monitor is the best in my experience.

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |