Sign in to follow this  
Juicehead

Oculus Rift (mini review)...

OK, after much mucking around, I finally got my DK2 working in P3D.  I used the DCOC plugin as it seems, "like clockwork", Lockheed Martin is behind the curve on releasing a hotfix.  Right now, there is a sizable FPS loss due to the way the plugin needs to be coded.  From what I understand, the performance loss will be negligible when LM implements it.

Resolution

Let me first state, this is a development kit.  The consumer version, from what I understand will be much better but none of the instruments are readable and it is very difficult to make out ground features.

Scale

It does seem the scale of the aircraft interiors are a bit small.  This is not a deal breaker and you probably wouldn't notice it unless you have flown in that exact aircraft.

Keyboard/switch utilization

If you have a Saitek Panel, etc, this is not for you.  Obviously you cannot see outside of the rift.  I believe this will be corrected as leap motion has some really cool stuff going on right now and you may not need "hardware" for flipping switches, etc. 

Presence

All I can say is...  Holy @#*&, the presence you feel is just epic!  The first thing I wanted to do when I loaded up an aircraft is physically grab the controls, it was almost instinctual!  I only got the chance to fly a few aircraft and the best one so far was the RealAir SuperCub.  When I opened the door/window, I could peer out the side and look down.  I was physically waiting to be hit with a blast of air when I stuck my head out, it was really trippy!  I flew around for a bit and then got about 10 feet off the water, it is much easier to judge altitude in VR due to the ability to now judge depth.  

Motion Sickness

The flying didn't bother me much other than the eyestrain due to the low resolution.  Other applications in which you walked around etc, seemed to eventually affect me.  Any type of sudden acceleration really puts your equilibrium into overdrive.

Performance

This actually worries me the most.  Basically, to combat judder, motion sickness, and increase the feeling of presence, you need a minimum of 75fps.  If Lockheed Martin wants to implement the Oculus successfully, they really need to do much, much more optimization and get as much rendering possible onto the GPU! DCS saw the writing on the wall and is doing this with their EDGE Engine.     

As a pilot, I feel that this is the closest you will come to flying an aircraft without leaving the room.  The presence, IMO, is every bit as good or better than level D simulators.  The only thing you would be missing is the motion base.  I have a couple other family members who are pilots as well and I will be testing them out in VR to see what they think as well.  

I, who finds TrackIR irritating after a few minutes, will probably not like Occulus Rift

I expect it to make me sick

Besides how will I ever find me coffee mug???   .... the most important accessory for flight simming?

I don't really understand what this device does....

You can sit in your chair and reach out for, say, the landing gear lever and pull it up and it will work in game?

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

Like others before it, I don't see this going any further than a novelty device. Fun for a while but just too clunky and inhibiting.

Even if they do figure out a Kinect type control integration, it will have to be very precise and work exactly as you command it when you command it, or it will be nothing but frustrating.

I don't really understand what this device does....

You can sit in your chair and reach out for, say, the landing gear lever and pull it up and it will work in game?

No, it 'simply' is a 3D device: it shows you the virtual world in 3D. The novelty here is that while other 3D devices show you the world in 3D as if you are looking at it on a screen in a big cinema (so you are looking AT it but you aren't part of it), the Oculus Rift actually gives you the idea you are IN that virtual world. You simply are THERE! It's the most realistic 3D experience ever and can't be compared with other 3D devices. Search on YouTube for reactions of people who try it for the first time.

Do you have X-Plane? 10.30 final is due to have native Rift support, I'd be interested in any impressions you might have.

Like others before it, I don't see this going any further than a novelty device. Fun for a while but just too clunky and inhibiting.

Even if they do figure out a Kinect type control integration, it will have to be very precise and work exactly as you command it when you command it, or it will be nothing but frustrating.

I initially thought this when it was first announced a couple years ago, but its following grew rapidly until it was purchased by Facebook for 2 billion.  This was a great cash injection into the company and is enabling them to develop a cutting edge consumer device.

It looks clunky but it is no worse than wearing a headset and/or trackIR.  It is deceivingly light as really the only thing of any weight is the screen (from a note 3) and lenses.  If you are mainly into flying the heavy stuff, this probably wouldn't suit your needs as that is more about "systems simulation" and less about actual "seat of the pants" flying.

I dare say the tracking is way ahead of the trackIR.  It will track your head a full 180 degrees (1 to 1).  I constantly have to stop myself from reaching out to hit buttons or try and grab things that aren't there.  

Yes, the controls are a huge issue but there are rumors that Oculus is working out a way to implement this in the consumer version as well.

Do you have X-Plane? 10.30 final is due to have native Rift support, I'd be interested in any impressions you might have.

I do have x-plane.   I will try and get it loaded up after this weekend and give it a run.

10.30 final is due to have native Rift support

As per the developer blog probably we'll have to wait for 10.31 as Philip must rewrite all the code due the Oculus Rift SDK changes.

As per the developer blog probably we'll have to wait for 10.31 as Philip must rewrite all the code due the Oculus Rift SDK changes.

Multitudinous expletives! :lol:

I do have x-plane.   I will try and get it loaded up after this weekend and give it a run.

Thanks. I wonder now will it work at all? I'll be keeping an eye on this thread.

Oculus Rift actually gives you the idea you are IN that virtual world. You simply are THERE! It's the most realistic 3D experience ever and can't be compared with other 3D devices. Search on YouTube for reactions of people who try it for the first time.

I'd have to see it to believe it I guess hehe

| FAA ZMP |
| PPL ASEL |
| Windows 11 | MSI Z690 Tomahawk | 12700K 4.7GHz | MSI RTX 4080 | 32GB 5600 MHz DDR5 | 500GB Samsung 860 Evo SSD | 2x 2TB Samsung 970 Evo M.2 | EVGA 850W Gold | Corsair 5000X | HP G2 (VR) / LG 27" 1440p |

leap motion has some really cool stuff going on right now and you may not need "hardware" for flipping switches, etc. 

There is no reason other than having to model it out in code that you couldn't have a hard switch there where you put your hand.  Just takes two cameras, modeling where your arm/hand are, and where the switch is in VR.  

The only thing you would be missing is the motion base.

I suspect diy platforms are going to be springing up all over.  

5 years or so, 3 at the earliest, for VR to take over flight simulation.  Once again, memory is not the issue, but GPU/CPU speeds are just not up to what needs to be there.  Exciting future!  And P3D will be right in the middle of it, saving lives with all the prepar3dn3ss their software gives pilots (and our soldiers, don't forget this is their real game.  There are war game simulators that have hundreds of nodes hooked in.  That's really what this is all about; we are just the friendly forest critters they happened to encounter while on their real mission.  You could bet they are getting paid for a bigger picture we aren't privy to.  LM is making the code do things right now that FSX didn't have to do. )  

I wouldn't worry about revenues, P3D is a huge asset to LM for a pretty nice Constellation of reasons, even if there was such a nice revenue stream directly from it.  The presence they are about to make in the emergent VR market is worth millions in marketing.  It would be a brilliant move if it was just for that reason. 

Besides how will I ever find me coffee mug???  

Rift coders probably have made this a high priority.  I hearby dub this the "coffee mug" problem.  When they solve it Oculus Rift will only then be ready.

Do any of you use FaceTrackNoIR ? http://facetracknoir.sourceforge.net/home/default.htm

I made a quick led light array to hang on my headphones once to use Freetrack.  Does trackIR take a long time to tune in too?